Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Odd problems  (Read 15279 times)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Odd problems
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 02:50:59 PM »

[oops... almost forgot about this one:]

3. I will be trying now to run all macros on a unique housecode, as TakeTheActive suggested.

This will only work if the CM15A can pick up your signals reliably... but you indicated thats not the case [the extra Transceivers].

Here is a suggestion to try: For your D9 ON MACRO, use a condition flag to prevent unwanted re-entry

Puck, what do you mean by "the macro is only being triggered once"?

Right now, it sounds like your MACRO is being triggered via PLC from the RR501 AND the CM15A via RF. When you press the MACRO button manually, that's the ONLY trigger.

The "Find other computers" option is nice, but I would prefer something that displays all codes on one page

Then try the File / Reports... section.

Right now, even the "Find other computers" display is hopelessy cluttered, because I have been playing around with the system for quite some time and a lot of the old settings still show up.

When you start making a lot of changes from playing around / testing... do the Tools / Clear History now and then.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 03:05:50 PM by Puck »

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 03:20:13 PM »

3. I will be trying now to run all macros on a unique housecode, as TakeTheActive suggested.

This will only work if the CM15A can pick up your signals reliably... but you indicated thats not the case [the extra Transceivers].

Here is a suggestion to try: For your D9 ON MACRO, use a condition flag to prevent unwanted re-entry

I haven't loaded SMART MACROs yet, so, I'm not familiar with USING conditions [i.e. I have everything running (as reliably as humanly possible, considering what we have to work with ::) ) without using FLAGS]. BUT...

Puck, what do you mean by "the macro is only being triggered once"?

Right now, it sounds like your MACRO is being triggered via PLC from the RR501 AND the CM15A via RF. When you press the MACRO button manually, that's the ONLY trigger.

...Look in your Activity Monitor - If you see (I'm not on my AHP computer right now, but the text should be something like...) D9 ON Received *AND* D9 ON Received RF, you'll continue to have a problem (which is what Puck and I have been saying all along. ;) ). 

IIRC, even if you UNCHECK all the HouseCodes, MACROs still get triggered by Received RF commands.  :(
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

sprocket

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 06:15:08 PM »

It is my understanding the RF signal from the Slimline Controller gets sent to the RR501, over PLC to the CM15a, which in return executes the macro and issues the PLC commands. The CM15a is set to only recieve RF signals from housecode C, so I don't see any dual trigger here. Hmmm.

Press button on Controller (D9 ON) > RF to RR501 (D) > RR501 sends D9 ON over PLC to CM15a > CM15a says D9 is ON, it's a macro > CM15a sends D2 ON, D3 ON, D4 ON.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 06:29:09 PM »

...The CM15a is set to only recieve RF signals from housecode C, so I don't see any dual trigger here. Hmmm.

NEWBIE *REFUSES* to read / follow / answer my replies! :-[ ::) - I'm tired of repeating myself, so, I'm outta here... :(
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 06:34:41 PM »

TTA beat me too it... but here's my $0.02 anyways...

It is my understanding the RF signal from the Slimline Controller gets sent to the RR501, over PLC to the CM15a, which in return executes the macro and issues the PLC commands. The CM15a is set to only recieve RF signals from housecode C, so I don't see any dual trigger here. Hmmm.

Press button on Controller (D9 ON) > RF to RR501 (D) > RR501 sends D9 ON over PLC to CM15a > CM15a says D9 is ON, it's a macro > CM15a sends D2 ON, D3 ON, D4 ON.

This is the part so many users get confused about... You CANNOT turn off the CM15A's RF... ONLY it's RF to PLC.

sprocket: The large RED letters at not me yell at you (or anyone else)... I'm just trying to bring this to the attention of readers Including X-10... (X-10 please READ the WISH LIST Section).

Once people understand this, hopefully the help & suggestions start making sense.  :-

sprocket

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2006, 06:57:52 PM »

First of all: I am not a newbie. I have been using X-10 since 2002, but I just got stuck here and asked a question. Just because I never posted in here doesn't mean that I don't know what I am doing. After all, I do have it running in all other rooms with no problems whatsoever. I do listen and read the answers. I just try to get an understanding here WHY it doesn't work.

So, you're saying that the CM15a can pick up the RF signal as well? Hmmm, the Slimline Controller is a good 60 feet away from the CM15a and on another floor. I have been walking around the house with a UR19A remote and my CM15a picks up RF signals here from a maximum of 20 (maybe 30) feet away, certainly not from the kitchen.

I'll monitor the output from the Activity Monitor and post the results in a bit.

Thanks again for your help.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2006, 07:19:38 PM »

So, you're saying that the CM15a can pick up the RF signal as well? Hmmm, the Slimline Controller is a good 60 feet away from the CM15a and on another floor.

When you rely on it, it won't pick it up... when you don't want it to, well you know what will happen.... Good Ole Murphy...

I'll monitor the output from the Activity Monitor and post the results in a bit.

That will help understand what's going on. Thanks.

sprocket

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2006, 07:35:44 PM »

Event Date/Time Action Data
3 11/11/2006 7:14:54 pm Receive D10 (KI Test Off)
4 11/11/2006 7:14:55 pm Receive D On
5 11/11/2006 7:15:00 pm Macro D3 (Overhead) >> Does NOT turn on
6 11/11/2006 7:15:01 pm Macro D4 (Dining Room)
7 11/11/2006 7:15:01 pm Macro D2 (Main)  >> Does NOT turn on
8 11/11/2006 7:15:01 pm Macro D Bright 100(Main, Overhead, Dining Room)

One oddity here: D10 ON is "KI Test ON" (not "KI Test Off") and turns on D3, D4, D2. D4 turns on; D2/D3 don't do anything.

Output when I trigger the macro via AH:
0 11/11/2006 7:22:02 pm Transmit D2 (Main) >> Does NOT turn on
1 11/11/2006 7:22:02 pm Transmit D3 (Overhead) >> Does NOT turn on
2 11/11/2006 7:22:03 pm Transmit D4 (Dining Room)
3 11/11/2006 7:22:03 pm Transmit D On (Main, Overhead, Dining Room)

Humm, so not it doesn't even work in AH. BTW, I have used flags now for the macros to prevent a double trigger.

If I trigger D2, D3, D4 manually via a remote, it works fine, so the RR501 works fine - it's the PLC from the C15a to D2 and D3 that doesn't work. I have a ton of macros around the house and no problems whatsoever, it's just the darn kitchen. Maybe I have a signal sucker here somewhere, fridge or the microwave.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2006, 07:46:18 PM »

If I trigger D2, D3, D4 manually via a remote, it works fine, so the RR501 works fine - it's the PLC from the C15a to D2 and D3 that doesn't work.

OK... try this:

In your macro, don't turn D2, D3, D4 ON directly (via selecting the switch module)... instead use the "RF Commands" and send the RF Command to turn D2 ON, then D3, D4...

...and keep the flag to prevent re-trigger  ;)

The CM15A's transmitter generally works much better than it's receiver, and since the lights work good thru the RR501, this should work.

sprocket

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2006, 08:11:26 PM »

...and *tada*... works great via RF. So the CM15a seems to have a great range to transmit RF, but not so good for receiving RF. Good to know!

Thanks, Puck, for your help!

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2006, 08:37:05 PM »

Glad to hear that worked sprocket  ;) :)

ArtClark

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2006, 12:09:55 AM »

I Would bet that this is actually a Problem in the CM15 with it's "Losing" outputs.  This "Unfortunately" happens a LOT more
than anyone seems to realize.  Switching to RF is a viable workaround, but if you want to keep away from sending RF all you
would have to do is add delays into the macro.  This actually does a lot more than just add delays.

In other testing I found that a Direct Command in a macro from the CM15 will NOT always execute, but a delayed command WILL.

I don't pretend to have all the information on this, and the circumstances are only starting to get clearer but here is an example
of what to watch for.  The Macro Says  A1 ON A2 ON A3 ON  and running it straight will produce A1 A2 A3 ON.  Adding delays
between each one puts out (On Activity Monitor, which isn't fully accurate but good enough for this.) A1 ON dly A2 ON dly A3 ON.

With the setup I use (Already too big, but what the heck.  Doing this from the early 80's) I see a lot of strange irregularities in
the way macros are triggered.  RF, PLC and Pushing the "MACRO" button in AHP   DO NOT always produce the same results.

(X-10, are you listening?)  I still find that playing with the macro order and delays is the easiet way to get around some of this
type of stuff.  I really like the "Send RF" option but I get too much interference from the controls I have to want much more.
That is the only reason I try to keep the signals PLC. 

Special note:  I have been enlightened to the binary that is sent to the CM15 from AHP and there are settings there that AHP
doesn't allow you to set. (# RF Repeats, RF Bits, and about 20 other little odds and ends.)   It's possible that these need to be
set specifically for any different setup but knowing WHAT to set them to would go way beyond normal users desire to fully
understand the entire X-10 setup.  (I don't use a lot of stuff they make and it's possible that camera's and such need these
settings as thay are to operate.  Can't check what I don't have.... )

Last stupid Note:  As noted elsewhere many times, Just because the Activity Monitor says that a command WAS issued does
NOT prove that it was.  There are (Quite a few..) a few instances where the monitor shows it sent a command, but that command
never leaves the CM15.  I have no idea where it goes, but the Line (Checked with scope, by the way..) stays clean with no
PLC signal.  I have never even checked with sending RF from the CM15, so here I haven't the slightest  ;D

Anyway, Glad you got it going, and hope that all goes well. (Good Job, Puck!)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2006, 10:13:57 AM »

ArtClark:
It's well known that downloaded macros and macros executed from the PC are different.  ActiveHome Pro tries to be "smart" about executing from the PC (but is buggy and often manages to muck things up in the process).  E.g., if you program A1ON, A1ON, AHP may figure it needs to be done only once.  Or if A1 is already recorded as ON, it may not send anything.  Adding delays, even zero delays, often seems to work in telling AHP  "don't be a smart alec - do what I tell you".

Combining A1ON, A2ON, A3ON into A1A2A3ON is usually legitimate (although it will be transmitted in X10 order, i.e., A3A1A2ON) and I think these will also be combined for downloaded macros.

If you want to keep tabs on what PLC the CM15A is actually sending, it helps to have a separate receiver.  (As you've discovered, the Activity Monitor is not to be trusted.)   I use a Linux program with a CM11A on a separate PC, but have found that I can simultaneously run AHP and the old ActiveHome under Win XP on the same PC if I connect the CM11A to the PC with a USB->Serial adapter, using the log feature of the old AH to monitor what's on the powerline.  If interested, you can pick up the RCA-branded CM11A from the X-10 sale page for $10 + $6 S&H and a USB->Serial adapter for $15-$20 online or at a local computer shop.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.