Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to automation, will this setup work?  (Read 3595 times)

regchamp

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New to automation, will this setup work?
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:42:16 PM »

Here is what I have: Harmony 880 Remote

Here is what I want: a)to dim my lights with the remote
                             b)to control my ceiling fan with the remote
                              c)to control my thermostat (gas heater) with the remote

Here is what I think I need: a) Infrared X10 Command Console IR-543
                                       b) INSTEON SwitchLinc Dimmer, White
                                       c) don't know what to get for fan control
                                       d) want cheap and simple lcd panel control for heat

Can you recommed links, products, or instructions/tutorials on how to do this with simply my 880 as the remote? My 880 is already setup for home theater, media pc, etc., just want to take the next step in automation. Please Please be specific on links, products, and instructions, I am a total newbie!! Thanks!

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: New to automation, will this setup work?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »

Regchamp....
I'm personally not familiar with the remote you mention, or what is needed to control a fireplace, ceiling fan, etc.   You might want to check out www.remotecentral.com.  They deal with, as the name suggests, remotes, and have a section for X10 users.  You might have some luck there in answering your questions?  Just a thought.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 01:53:24 AM »

I use my Harmony 628 and (X10) IR-543 to control my X10 light switches. I have never used the INSTEON SwitchLinc brand of switches.

Your ceiling fan may or maynot be controlable. There are many makes and models of ceiling fans... and more than one way to wire a fan. You may want to look at what IR remote controlled fans are available in your area... Then check the Harmony Site to see if they have codes for your [880] remote, to replace the fans IR remote.

You said you want to: "control my thermostat (gas heater) with the remote - want cheap and simple lcd panel control for heat"

There are controls for heating/AC that can be controlled using the X10 protocol technology. A "cheap LCD control-panel" set-up for that... I have never heard of one. Please post any "finds" you might come across, and keep us up on your progress.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 02:08:55 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:04:44 AM »

i guess the question about the gas heater thermostat is: do you want to control the flame level (newer gas logs DO have a modulating gas valve) or do you simply want to control the temperate level (simple off and on).
There are thermostats (1,2 or 3 stage) with a lcd temperature setting that are adjustable either through IR or x10! 

One good x10 capable thermostat would be the RCS TXB-16 found here http://www.smarthome.com/3045B.html
and if you're looking for IR: http://www.smarthome.com/30414a.html
the latter is an IR add-on for a programmable thermostat.

As far as the modulating gas valve side of the story, if your heater already came with a remote just get the harmony to learn the codes from it.  If not, there is no modulator/remote kit as an add-on to my knowledge, and modifying an existing heater without one would be EXTREMELY dangerous.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 06:54:40 PM »

I too use a harmony remote and the Ir543 to dim my living room lights when i watch a movie. I also use the Ws467 to control my ceiling fan. How ever there is a noticble hum with the wall swtich and for whatever reason i cannot get the off command to work from either my pc or harmony and plam pad remotes.. There is another  wall switch available for ceiling fan control that was recommended to me : the Pro Wall Switch Appliance Module (XPDI3)
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 06:55:48 PM »

I too use a harmony remote and the Ir543 to dim my living room lights when i watch a movie. I also use the Ws467 to control my ceiling fan. How ever there is a noticble hum with the wall swtich and for whatever reason i cannot get the off command to work from either my pc or harmony and plam pad remotes.. There is another  wall switch available for ceiling fan control that was recommended to me : the Pro Wall Switch Appliance Module (XPDI3)

That is assuming that your ceiling fan is normally controlled by a wall switch.
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.