Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need HELP wiring up Coupler/Repeater---Pics included  (Read 2636 times)

jsnone1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need HELP wiring up Coupler/Repeater---Pics included
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »

Okay, need some help hooking up this coupler/repeater......first problem I think I have is that I do not have 2 open circuit breakers....can I hook it up without them??

Here are some pics on my breaker box:

I assume that the silver bar to the left and right with the brass screws are the neutral bars???

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Need HELP wiring up Coupler/Repeater---Pics included
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:29:02 PM »

First, as many have already noted elsewhere, NO wiring other than basic circuit breaker connection should ever be done in the circuit box.
It is against wiring codes and would jeopardize safety and void any home owners insurance you have.

Secondly, cool pictures. I love the fact that all the wires are clearly labeled!

The only way I think it could be properly done would be to have a sub box installed moving over some of the existing circuits and then install a 220 box from it.
If you choose to do this, it would be a great time to move key circuits over that you would like to have during a power outage. You would also want to install proper switching to connect the sub box to a generator.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:37:49 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Boiler

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:58:29 PM »

Interesting photo,

Relatively new construct (i.e. Arc Fault breakers for the bedrooms) and 100% populated.  Your electrician didn't do you any favors (although it is a neat install).

Certain load boxes support the use of tandem 1/2 height breakers.  This might allow you to replace two of your current 1" breakers with 4 1/2" breakers.  You'll need to look at the load cell panel to determine if your box supports this.  Don't install them unless it specifically lists the 1/2" breakers as supporter - code violation again.

An example of a tandem 1/2 height breaker is located here: 15A Tandem breaker

This can get you around the lack of open breakers, but you will still need to run a circuit outside the panel to mount your repeater (i.e. drywall saw).

A less invasive option might be to parallel an outlet box off one of your 220V terminations.  It appears you have 3 220V devices (one 30A).  If the 30A breaker is for a well pump (??) you could parallel off of the switch with your "coupler box".  Not optimal due to the distance back to the main panel, but it may be easier than cutting out drywall and I don't believe it violates code.

Boiler

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 06:43:57 PM »

The coupler must still be powered through a ganged 240V breaker.  You can buy a "quad breaker" that fits into the space of 2 adjacent full-size breakers.  The two outside breakers in the quad power the original circuits, and the ganged center breaker can be used for your coupler.  As others have said, that should be mounted outside the breaker panel in another utility enclosure to be code compliant.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »

Please turn those smoke detectors on.  I worry about all my fellow x10-ers.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.