Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RR501 / UR19A - Not communicating.  (Read 2978 times)

talonius

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
RR501 / UR19A - Not communicating.
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:01:23 PM »

I have a RR501 transceiver and a UR19A remote control.  For the life of me I cannot get the transceiver to recognize commands from the remote control - but I think I'm just being an idiot.

First, I've tried moving the RR501 to a house code other than A (B and I, specifically) and a unit other than 1 (9 is the only other choice).  Each time I changed the house code/unit code I unplugged the RR501 and plugged it back in and also reset the remote to use the new code as specified in the instruction manual (RR501 instruction manual ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/rr501-is.pdf; UR19A instruction manual ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ur19a_om.pdf).

I have no other X10 components installed in the house.  The remote currently functions as a television and DVD remote and has no issues.

Manual use of the on/off button turns the attached light on and off.

I'm sitting less than 2' from the RR501 with the UR19A.

I've ensured that the component type for the X10 button is 013 (Home Automation/RF).

When changing the unit code I've firmly pushed it to either side to eliminate the possibility that it's not taking.

What I think I'm doing wrong:  on the remote to turn off the light I'm hitting X10 - 1 - channel +.  Nothing happens.

Any troubleshooting tips?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: RR501 / UR19A - Not communicating.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:15:22 AM »

When you pushed the #1 button. If you firmly pushed both sides and it double pushed. You entered a unit code of 11.
Try rotating the House Code Dial on the RR501 around a few times. We occasionally see a intermittent dial that says one code but is electrically on a different code.

You seem to be doing the correct things.
X10 code is 013.
You push the X10 button. Then the #1 button. Then the channel +.

Did you try setting the RR501 to Unit Code 9 and see if the remote can then turn it on and off?

talonius

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:39:30 PM »

Thanks for the tips, Brian, but unfortunately, no luck.

Unit code 9 has no apparent effect either.

I bought another RR501 and I'm having the same problem; two RR501s that won't respond with a remote that works -- but the television, DVD, etc., use the infrared portion of the remote, right?  So, theoretically, my remote's RF may not be working?

When I started down that train of thought I decided to put new batteries in -- possibly underpowered, in my mind.  Still no go.

I'm afraid if I pick up another remote (which unlike a second RR501 would be useless to me) that it will end up being user error.  <grin>

I'll let you know how a new remote works.

Thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 06:25:47 AM »

I would first verify the X10 button is set to RF. It can also be set to IR.
Hold Setup until the LED flashes
Press and release the X10 button
Enter 013 to set the X10 button to RF.
You would enter 014 if you wanted IR.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.