Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPPF  (Read 4234 times)

tr6flyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPPF
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:46:36 PM »

I just received a few XPPF filters and plugged my DirectTV box into it and plugged it into the wall.  A few seconds later a circuit breaker tripped, on a different circuit from where I plugged in the filter. There was nothing going on anywhere else in the house as I was the only one home.  (BTW: the TV is plugged into the back of the DirectTV box.) I unplugged the filter and reset the breaker and everything is working fine now with the filter unplugged. Any thoughts? I am a little afraid to plug the filter back in.  Did I exceed the 5amp limit of the filter?  If so, did I ruin the filter?  OR, more likely, is the filter faulty?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: XPPF
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:19:16 PM »

I just received a few XPPF filters and plugged my DirectTV box into it and plugged it into the wall.  A few seconds later a circuit breaker tripped, on a different circuit from where I plugged in the filter. There was nothing going on anywhere else in the house as I was the only one home.  (BTW: the TV is plugged into the back of the DirectTV box.)

Did I exceed the 5amp limit of the filter?

Unless you have some problems with your homes neutral wires,  a completely different breaker tripping isn't the fault of the filter. As you said, (you are sure of this aren't you?) it is "on a [completely] different circuit". Try the filter again.

If the breaker trips again, either you have a poltergeist or your breakers are labelled wrong. In that event, the filter is probably faulty.

As far as exceeding the 5 amp filter rating...check how much current the TV and the Direct TV box takes...is it over 5 amp? If only watts is given for the either of the devices, divide the number of watts by 120 to get amps.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: XPPF
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 06:08:58 AM »

If you had a light overloaded the XPPF for a long period. You would know it. It would get warm and maybe the coils inside it may start to smell.
A severe overload could maybe burn it out but again there would be a smell or overheating.

I moderately overloaded one in a test and it smelled and got hot, but still functioned when cooled down.

I agree with dave w.
It does sound strange.
By chance was it a GFCI or Arc Breaker?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.