Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I need a wireless repeater  (Read 7472 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: I need a wireless repeater
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 11:17:08 AM »

That the antenna extends outside the case is positive as it indicates the RF receiver (or, at least, the antenna) is isolated so there's no shock hazard. It probably means we can add a more efficient external antenna (even an amplified one) which will solve any range issues but will raise warranty issues since we will need a GND connection as well. There's also the question of cost - it may cost more than occupancy sensing will save.

That Bay Web mispells antenna is a negative. :'
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

VTGlcokster

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »

If I measured the external antenna length and added extra wire to the existing antenna and made the overall length 18" would that help?

DHouston, I appreciate all the help you've given so far.  Thank you!

Andy

That the antenna extends outside the case is positive as it indicates the RF receiver (or, at least, the antenna) is isolated so there's no shock hazard. It probably means we can add a more efficient external antenna (even an amplified one) which will solve any range issues but will raise warranty issues since we will need a GND connection as well. There's also the question of cost - it may cost more than occupancy sensing will save.

That Bay Web mispells antenna is a negative. :'

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »

If I measured the external antenna length and added extra wire to the existing antenna and made the overall length 18" would that help?
I would try 9" first. If that's no help, try 18".

But, I doubt either will be a solution. All of the X10 sensors have very poor range. If Bay Web builds their own, they may not have this problem but they probably use X10 made sensors.

Adding this antenna might give you enough gain to receive from the apartment.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

VTGlcokster

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 12:46:48 PM »

The current antenna is about 9" currently.  That's why I was thinking of extending it to 18"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 06:17:33 AM »

For those following this thread who may not have seen this...
adding an 18" passive radiator at the sensor solved VTGIcokster's problem.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 06:24:24 AM »

The current antenna is about 9" currently.  That's why I was thinking of extending it to 18"
9" is about 1/4 wavelength at 310MHz and 1/4 wavelength is usually optimal for a receiver. It depends on how much ground plane is in the receiver - too little and even 1/4 wavelength can be too long.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:36:57 AM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 07:42:49 AM »

Before this thread I hadn't looked at these thermostats. The concept is good and it's good to see more Internet enabled HA hardware. I suspect WiFi modules for lights, etc. will soon become cost effective.

Had I designed the Bayweb thermostats, I would have included a 310MHz RF transmitter that could be controlled from the Internet to control lights/appliances via a TM751.

VTGlcokster

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 08:16:19 AM »

They're perfect for my situation.  Heat is included in the rent and over the years I have seen fuel consumption increase from 800 gallons to 1300.  When my wife and I lived there we used on average 800 gallons of HHO per year.  We used a programmable thermostat downstairs and upstairs where the bedrooms are we kept at a constant 65 F.

With these thermostats I can control the maximum temperature the T-stats can be set to and with the occupancy sensors the temperature will turn down when activity isn't detected for a certain amount of time.  Right now I have it set to one hour.

I also converted the boiler in the duplex to run off wood pellets so there should be a considerable savings just from that.  Our single family home has a wood pellet boiler and we have been saving about 50% over heating the house with oil.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.