Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10-Pro XPR-W Duplex Receptacle - Problem: Won't Turn off  (Read 8876 times)

xtenuser

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10-Pro XPR-W Duplex Receptacle - Problem: Won't Turn off
« on: January 02, 2012, 02:31:27 AM »

All,

I installed a X10-Pro XPR-W Duplex Receptacle about 6 months ago.  Its been working just fine.  I had been worried that the loads I was controlling might trigger the auto-sense function - but this hadn't been a problem in practice.

The other day I noticed the receptacle was no longer turning off - rather it was turning off and then immediately (<0.1 seconds) turning back on.    Since I hadn't changed any of the devices plugged into the receptacles or the one downstream receptacle which this XPR-W controls I was very puzzled.

I unplugged everything from both the XPR-W outlets and the downstream outlet - same behaviour.

I turned off and on the power to that circuit....no joy....same problem.

I checked the logs on my controller (Universal Devices ISY99) and the OFF command is being transmitted correctly, and no ON command is being transmitted.

Given everything was working OK I am thinking this XPR-W unit has failed in some way... luckily its under 2 year warranty so thinking of sending it back for replacement.

Has anyone ever see this behaviour or can suggest any other diagnostics I could perform?

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: X10-Pro XPR-W Duplex Receptacle - Problem: Won't Turn off
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:05:22 AM »

Is it possible to listen to it for the normal Clunk when turning it Off or if it clicks two or three times trying?
Maybe watch a light plugged into it as it is turned Off.
There is a known reported problem with a plastic piece in them breaking. If it breaks. It will try to turn On or Off but not happening will try a few times before giving up.

xtenuser

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:05:34 PM »

Is it possible to listen to it for the normal Clunk when turning it Off or if it clicks two or three times trying?

Most of the time I hear the normal clunk, then <0.1 seconds later a second normal sounding clunk.

With a light plugged into the switch I see no flicker at all - i.e. it almost looks like the receptacle isn't actually turning off in those 0.1 seconds - or is happening so fast I can't see it.

Once or twice the switch has remained silent - i.e. no clunk of any kind.

If I was guessing(which I am completely!), either
1. The sensing circuit is now somehow being triggered (failing component?) - even though nothing is plugged in to the receptacle itself or the downstream controlled recetacle

2. The relay isn't "latching" in the "off" position, and some spring is pulling the relay back to the "on" position as soon as of the "off" commend completes.

Does my behaviour or these guesses fit the broken plastic you mentioned as a possible cause?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:10:54 PM by xtenuser »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:22:20 PM »

If the plastic piece is broken. It would not change at all even briefly. Unless Murphy's Law had the busted pieces just line up correctly sometimes.

Could be as you suspect. The sensing of present state of On or Off circuit maybe flaky or the SCR used to pulse the ratchet relays coil is double hitting.

If it has a warranty maybe best to contact the dealer and exchange it.

vinnyf

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:56:27 PM »

Stumbled on this posting today, and I'm not going to solve your problem, but I'll share some schadenfreude.  I'm using a standard (not pro) x10 switch module that does almost the same thing - but mine takes a second or two to come back on.  Assumed it was a bad module, but two replacements effected no change.
A funny aspect about mine is that it only does this at the programmed time of around 2am. And not always even then. At 6am - the next programmed off time - its been flawless. 
And manually turning off the module around 2am produces the same result - sometimes it goes off as it should, but about 30% of the time it will turn back on immediately. And sending repeated off commands just repeats the cycle. 
I have filters at the cb box, an amplified bridge across the split phase, individual filters on several suspect loads, and have tried killing most of the house circuit breakers with no success in finding the cause.  Hope you have better luck than I. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 06:00:43 AM »

Going back On can be caused by the load connected to the module making noise and triggering it back On when turned Off.
What is the load being turned On and Off?

Small test. Put a 4 watt incandescent night light on the switched outlet along with the normally controlled load. See if it gets better.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »

If it only happens at that time, perhaps something else is putting noise out there that the switch misinterprets as a valid command. Try changing that one scheduled time, just by a few minutes, and see what (if anything) changes.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:59:39 PM »

What else is plugged into the live outlet?   I have  an X10 Receptacle Module controlling a Night Light that was getting noise from a hair dryer on the hot side. Unplugged it and the X10 side works properly.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

bhvmaia

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 06:35:49 PM »

I have a real perplexer for you guys.  I have two legs of 110v in conduit going out into the landscape to a series of 8 two-gang weatherproof boxes.  Everything is done to Code.  Most boxes have two reg'lar SSR-227 receptacles and they usually work fine.  Each box is running simple dumb incandescent: 2-75w uplights on one outlet, and a few strings of xmas lights on the other.
One box at the very end of one leg went for months without its outlets until I just got around to putting them in.  In this case I used newer XPR outlets (box does not show the 'W' in name).  Here's where it gets weird.  They were 'off' when I keyed the control pad, and seemed a bit balky, but they went on.  But since then they refuse to go off.
I read posts below and one outlet evinces <0.1sec on/off behavior (rapid clicks) when Off key is pressed.  The other outlet makes no sound at all (it's as if disabled).
Side notes are: these 110v legs come from the pool equipment (which has a wired remote control panel for the pumps).  And there is no other equipment adjacent to either of these two legs.
I don't think this is a noise issue or behavior of all outlets would be erratic, wouldn't it?  Why would the most distant of all outlets fail to function?.... it's only 15-ft from the next-closest, and that one works fine (has old-style SSR-227 outlets).
This leads me to question if maybe extending the leg to another final 'dumb' outlet box might give the signal the running room it needs to carry the code to the failing outlets.
Yes, I could R&R these outlets from some other location within the array, but that's a LOT of trouble.  I'm hoping for a brilliant feedback before I tackle something more difficult.
Thanks all - your wisdom invaluable.

xtenuser

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »

In my case the problem is the small piece of plastic that does the latching of the relay broke (I've now had this happen in 2 X10-Pro XPR-W and several SR-227s).  Luckily the failure appears to mean the swtiches stay on rather than off! 

Planning to 3D print some replacements for the part - but in the mean time I luckily had spares.   I'll post the 3d drawing / design files if I remember.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.