Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Powerhouse IR543 Help  (Read 6214 times)

coloredcadence

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Powerhouse IR543 Help
« on: June 01, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »

Hello all!

I'm new to the world of home automation, and I'm trying to troubleshoot my family's system.  They're using a X10 IR543 console to remotely control 2 sets of lights in a room.  They were working several months ago, but somewhere between then and now the lights stopped properly responding to commands.  So here's the current problem:

• The lights only respond to the "All On" and "All Off" commands; none of the other buttons ("On", "Off", "Bright", "Dim", and the in-between settings) work.
  • The lights started responding to signals after being activated by the wall switch.  They did not respond to the IR543 console before that.

As for troubleshooting, here's what I've done so far:

• While fiddling with the wall switch and the IR543 console (I was trying to see if there was a relationship between the two), the lights started responding to the "On" and "Off" buttons in addition to the "All On" and "All Off" buttons, but the "On" and "Off" buttons turned all the lights on or off, rather than just their respective light units.  Upon pressing "All Off", the "On" and "Off" buttons stopped functioning again.  I have been unable to replicate this instance.
  • Another weird instance occurred while I wasn't troubleshooting.  I went to check out the IR543 console last week to see if it would would feel like working that day, and oddly enough, it did respond to all of the button commands properly.  It functioned properly for a good two hours (the time I spent making sure it worked), but the next day it stopped working again.
  • I tried plugging in the IR543 console to all the other power outlets around the house, but the situation remained the same.
  • I tried unplugging all TVs, monitors, and computers around the house to try to eliminate sources of noise, but the result is still the same as above.

I'd like to get all of the buttons on the IR543 console functioning, but I have yet to figure out what the problem is.  Doing a search around the X10 forums shows a couple of common solutions, like getting a noise filter to reduce possible noise interference, or getting a coupler.  However, I don't even think noise is a problem since the console controls similarly in all outlets in the house, and I'm not sure if a coupler will even fix this problem.  I'm beginning to think that the IR543 console itself has malfunctioned.

I would appreciate any troubleshooting tips or advice to help me solve this problem.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:03:58 PM by coloredcadence »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: X10 Powerhouse IR543 Help
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:52:42 PM »

Are you also using an X10 Remote that can send X10 IR commands to the IR543 or you are only using the buttons on it?
If you also are using a X10 remote. Does it function correctly?

If you gently push the buttons from different angles do the function differently
It could be the buttons are getting flaky and off center may make contact with a different part of the switches.

coloredcadence

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »

Hi Brian,

Under normal conditions, the setup uses a universal remote to signal an IR flasher that signals the IR543.  The universal remote works fine (all its other functions work properly), so for the purpose of troubleshooting, I've been pressing the buttons on the console itself.  I've also been trying to signal it with the universal remote, but once again, only the "All On" or "All Off" functions work.

Also, gently rocking the console buttons at different angles had no effect.  I opened up the console earlier today, and nothing seems out of place.  

Perhaps the problem is the console itself?  I'm considering purchasing a new X10 console, but I'd rather not spend more money on one if I can help it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:36:21 PM by coloredcadence »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »

Is the universal remote one of the X10 ones and is it set to send X10 IR commands? Some of the X10 remotes can be set to IR or RF.
I will study your findings and may have added thoughts.
You could try rotating the House Code Dial a few turns. As they sometimes get dirty. Also do the X10 switches. Both Unit and House Code Dials.

The IR543 has been discontinued for a long time and I have not see any products that can do the same thing.

coloredcadence

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 10:10:07 PM »

The universal remote is only IR; it cannot send X10 commands.

I tried turning the switch several times on the console itself, but that did not help.  I'm waiting for contact from another individual I know who can tell me where the X10 switches for the lights are (or at least an easy way to access them), since right now I can't crawl into this ~1ft opening in the ceiling to get to the lights themselves.

I will report what I find in 2 days when my contact gets back in town.

Thanks again for all your help.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:06:57 AM »

Most people install X10 switches which just require removing the cover plate.  If you have a standard wall switch, then the module could be one of the inline styles which may be installed in the fixture of the first light.  I have at least one light mounted to an exterior wall where I installed an inline module on the back side of the electrical box since the attic access was right next to the light.  I would never install that type of module in an area requiring crawling through a 1 foot ceiling path and I'm not sure that even meets code (if there is a code on automation, though I've never heard of one  :').

coloredcadence

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »

Haha yeah, it would make sense for the X10 module to be installed in a reasonably accessible location.  However, I looked everywhere (except that ceiling path) and could not find it.  As such, I couldn't try rotating the house code on the module.  I'm going to try crawling in there later, but as it is it doesn't look feasible.

We have two wall switches in the room, and after taking out both, I failed to find the X10 module behind either.  I did make another discovery that confuses me even more though:

Over the course of 3 days, I tried troubleshooting the lights to see if I could get some consistent results, but unfortunately they have been anything but.
   - On the first day, turning on one of the sets of lights with its wall switch would cause it not to turn off when pressing "All Off" on the IR543, but it would respond to "All On" after turning it off with the wall switch.  This problem dissipated after a night's sleep.
   - On the second day, I tried repeating the above, but the lights were properly responding to commands.  The same happened with the third day.

It's difficult to find a problem's source when I can't even get consistent testing results.  I might have to bring in a professional's help.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 06:19:39 PM »

The wall switches that control the X10 Lights. Where a standard wall switch not an X10 one?
If it is a decorator type switch. The dials are under the paddles.
X10 didn't make a wall switch triggered module. Maybe it is a other brand compatible with X10 or your modules are European as they did have remotely triggered fixture modules.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 11:02:37 AM »

European X10 has modules at the breaker panel too, right?  I doubt a single light run would have it's own breaker though.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 12:49:09 PM »

Not sure about breaker panel modules.
They have some DIN rail mounted ones. As does some Insteon models.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 11:03:42 AM »

Isn't the DIN rail part of the panel?  I've never seen one of their panels so maybe I'm way off.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 01:51:45 PM »

I don't know if DIN rails maybe in European Breaker Boxes.
I have used them in machines the company I use to work for manufactured.
Also very popular in the German Machines made by our parent company.

coloredcadence

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 10:32:09 AM »

Sorry for the lack of communication for what has been over a week.  The family decided to buy a another X10 command center to see how it works.  It's worth a short, and better than doing nothing else about it.  We'll be getting it at the end of the week so I'll let you know how it goes then.

Thanks again.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 02:09:24 PM »

Over the course of 3 days, I tried troubleshooting the lights to see if I could get some consistent results, but unfortunately they have been anything but.
   - On the first day, turning on one of the sets of lights with its wall switch would cause it not to turn off when pressing "All Off" on the IR543, but it would respond to "All On" after turning it off with the wall switch.  This problem dissipated after a night's sleep.
   - On the second day, I tried repeating the above, but the lights were properly responding to commands.  The same happened with the third day.
That is a classic description of a noise issue. Here's a simple explanation. http://davehouston.org/noise.htm

Noise can be very difficult to troubleshoot even for experienced X10 users.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.