Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for a camera...here's what I want.  (Read 5413 times)

Emile

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Looking for a camera...here's what I want.
« on: September 03, 2006, 10:10:52 PM »

I don't care if it's color or b/w.  I want to record it wireless to my pc through my westell router which does have wireless ability.  I only want to record when there is motion, so I suppose 'instant on' is what I'll need there.  Wide view would be nice but not necessary.  It will be outdoors in a cold snowy climate.  It is for my front porch.  So what does that equal?  They need a wizard that does this on the x10 home site. ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 10:27:13 PM by Emile »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Looking for a camera...here's what I want.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 10:58:14 PM »

I don't care if it's color or b/w.  I want to run it wireless to my pc through my westell router which does have wireless ability.  I only want to record when there is motion, so I suppose 'instant on' is what I'll need there.  Wide view would be nice.  It will be outdoors in a cold snowy climate.  So what does that equal?  They need a wizard that does this on the x10 home site. ;)

The X-10 wireless camera transmission is normally received by an X-10 receiver having composite and video outputs.  For input to a PC, the video is run through an X-10  VA11A Video-to-USB adapter (or directly into a TV Tuner card).

It seems to me that it'd be quite unusual for a router to include the ability to capture a raw analog video signal and convert it to a digital stream over the LAN.  But hey, what do I know - they're coming out with weird new products every day.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Emile

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 11:14:25 PM »

ok...i do have a hauppage tuner card that is installed but i have not used.  so where does that put me?

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 12:41:38 AM »

ok...i do have a hauppage tuner card that is installed but i have not used.  so where does that put me?

For starters you'll need the camera and receiver plus a motion detector, although X-10 sells a camera/motion detector combo unit.

An X-10 VCR Commander can receive the RF signal from the motion detector and emit an IR signal to start a recorder.

An X-10 TM751 or RR501 Transceiver can receive the RF signal from the motion detector and send a powerline signal to turn on the camera power supply, but if you're using only one camera I suppose you can just leave it running 24/7.

(Even though the camera video signal is wireless, you still need to run power to it - it may or may not make more sense to use one of their wired cameras, depending on the location of your PC and the type of construction the RF video signal would otherwise have to pass through.)

Presuming you want to use your TV tuner card and the software supplied with it:
My Hauppage tuner card came with an IR remote and a plug-in IR detector cell.  (I've never used it.)   If yours does, hopefully it will be compatible with the VCR Commander's IR learning capability.  (Check the VCR Commander Owner Manual on the X-10 website to see what it's all about.)

As a backup I'd look to acquire the VA11A Video->USB adapter.  It's included with some  of X-10's camera bundles so may not cost you any more.

Disclaimer: My actual experience with these cameras is limited.  I once recorded a guy pilfering in my house, but knew when and where the suspected perp  would be.   I  ran the cable  from a hidden X-10 wired camera to my tuner card and sat upstairs watching the activity on my PC monitor, manually turning on the recording function when he arrived.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 09:57:29 AM »

...I once recorded a guy pilfering in my house, but knew when and where the suspected perp  would be...
Wouldn't it be nice if all crooks scheduled their crimes so we could plan for them? I can't help but wonder how you were so lucky to know in advance.
e.g. The bank could post a sign. "Please schedule your robbery in advance with customer service. So we can be of best service to you."
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 10:15:37 AM »

...I once recorded a guy pilfering in my house, but knew when and where the suspected perp  would be...
Wouldn't it be nice if all crooks scheduled their crimes so we could plan for them? I can't help but wonder how you were so lucky to know in advance.

This guy was the only new face on the scene when the "shortages" began to be noticed.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 10:20:36 AM »

...This guy was the only new face on the scene when the "shortages" began to be noticed.
It never ceases to amaze me how dumb crooks can be.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Emile

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 12:22:06 PM »

For starters you'll need the camera and receiver plus a motion detector, although X-10 sells a camera/motion detector combo unit.
An X-10 VCR Commander can receive the RF signal from the motion detector and emit an IR signal to start a recorder.
An X-10 TM751 or RR501 Transceiver can receive the RF signal from the motion detector and send a powerline signal to turn on the camera power supply, but if you're using only one camera I suppose you can just leave it running 24/7.
(Even though the camera video signal is wireless, you still need to run power to it - it may or may not make more sense to use one of their wired cameras, depending on the location of your PC and the type of construction the RF video signal would otherwise have to pass through.)
Presuming you want to use your TV tuner card and the software supplied with it:
My Hauppage tuner card came with an IR remote and a plug-in IR detector cell.  (I've never used it.)   If yours does, hopefully it will be compatible with the VCR Commander's IR learning capability.  (Check the VCR Commander Owner Manual on the X-10 website to see what it's all about.)
As a backup I'd look to acquire the VA11A Video->USB adapter.  It's included with some  of X-10's camera bundles so may not cost you any more.

Thanks.  I will look into trying this.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.