Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: contemplating a "break up" with X-10...suggestions appreciated  (Read 218 times)

nabril15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hello X-people

I'm a long-time x-10 enthusiast and advocate, and I've been frustrated and perplexed, like many of you, during that same time when an xps-2 comes to life on its own, for example.

I came across an amazon deal of 2 TPLink Tapo Matter smart light switches for $25, and it got me thinking and wondering of perhaps switching to a newer and different technology. On the surface, these 2 switches are certainly cheaper than one xps3 switch. I looked up what Matter HA is, and I'm not sure that I learned anything.

My set up is very simple, consisting of 3 xps3's, one xps2 for the pool pump, a socket rocket, and a plug-in appliance module.

While I realize that possibly leaving x-10 shouldn't be in this forum, but I ask for possible suggestions on a next system that is "simple", app-driven, addresses my system needs, and that isn't as quirky as x-10.

Thanks

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: contemplating a "break up" with X-10...suggestions appreciated
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 07:34:57 PM »

I have a hybrid system consisting of X-10 modules and switches and TP Link switches and some Amazon branded switches. All the X-10 stuff is controlled by the CM15a and everything is voice controlled by Alexa and a Smartenit Harmony.

One  reason for not ditching X-10 is simply the desire to retain local control. Lose the internet and you've lost control of your cloud based system. Since my TP Link and Amazon switches just control outside lights, I still have home automation inside with local control.

Just my 0.02

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: contemplating a "break up" with X-10...suggestions appreciated
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 08:09:40 PM »

I've been using the Yolink modules which are long range RF controlled and not WiFi.  It's just over almost 2 years now and I'm up to about 35 devices including about 10 leak detectors.  Only the hub is connected to WiFi and modules can be set to talk to each other or through the hub.  Very tight Alexa integration and Matter compliance is coming.
yosmart.com

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.