Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: MS14A RF range  (Read 27537 times)

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: MS14A RF range
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 12:02:37 PM »

By chance did you check to see if all house codes are enabled? As I recall they should be shipped this way. There is a program to download that allows you to set which house codes you can send on.

Yes I downloaded the software and checked and they were all enabled. I download them again to the module just to make sure but that did not help. >:(

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:37:03 AM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

JimC

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 01:47:43 PM »

UPDATE:

AO is sending a replacement PSC05.  :D Hope this takes care of the problem.  I will keep you all posted. As long as they don't stick me with a second shipping charge I will be a happy camper.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 04:33:01 PM »

I have seen two different model V572A models. One was with a Smarthome 1132B controller that also does X10 line signals like the PSC05 and used the interface for power. Another version with the PSC05 and an external wall supply. At the time I tested both versions and needed a different RJ14 cable between the interface and the receiver. One was a cross type and the other was a straight type.
Use the incorrect one and nothing would work.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 04:41:45 PM »

I put everything back to the way it was before I got the V572AB and with the PSC05  plugged in I could still not controll anything. As soon as I unplugged the PSC05 all worked fine. I sent an email to Automated outlet late last night and am waiting for a response.

Just out of curiosity, was the V572A plugged into the PSC05 when this happened?  If so, what happens if the PSC05 is disconnected from the V572A but the PSC05 is still plugged in?

JimC

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 05:52:42 PM »

Brian,

You, as allways, are correct. the V572A that I have requires a separate power supply and the supplied cable was a cross over type. I tried a straight cable just in case they supplied the wrong one and the indicator led on the V572A keeps flashing and according to their instruction indicates a cable problem. With the correct cable the led stays on except when receiving RF and then it goes out for about a second and turns back. This part is working correctly. It appears that the problem is with the PSC05 and I confirmed this with WGL DESIGNS, the manufacturer of the unit.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

JimC

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 05:59:42 PM »

Roger 1818 said
Just out of curiosity, was the V572A plugged into the PSC05 when this happened?  If so, what happens if the PSC05 is disconnected from the V572A but the PSC05 is still plugged in?

Roger the V572A was unplugged from the wall as well as from the PSC05 when this happened.

When everything was connected as per the supplied instructions the led on the V572A would go out and then back on with each reception of RF and this is what it should do. The problem is that the led on the PSC05 was not blinking with each received signal neither form the power lines nor from the PSC05. This appears to be where the problem is. I'll know in a few days when the replacement unit arrives.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 06:48:49 PM »

...It appears that the problem is with the PSC05...

Don't you have a spare TW523 in your JunkBox?  ;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

JimC

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 07:03:09 PM »

Don't you have a spare TW523 in your JunkBox? 

I never was much into writing my own software so never saw the need for one. :)
_ _ ...  ..._ _

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 07:13:34 PM »

Don't you have a spare TW523 in your JunkBox? 

I never was much into writing my own software so never saw the need for one. :)

What did you use before the CM11A -  CP290?

[Ah yes... The days of the IBM PC XT (in the basement) running GWBasic in DOS 3.3, a TW523 interface and a Votrax SC-01 Speech Synthesizer (sounds like Stephen Hawking) announcing events through a speaker in the hall - RELIABLE Home Automation at it's finest!]
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

JimC

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »

What did you use before the CM11A -  CP290?

All hard wired controllers. The CM11A was my first adventure into computerized home automation.

My first computer was a Commodore 64 which was the last thing I wrote a basic program for. next computer was a supper fast IBM XT.  I still have one of the older computers that I use for some DOS programs. :)

My work horse computer has 6 serial ports (all in use) and 8 USB ports ( most in use). It also has 2 video cards, two monitors and two sound cards. It is only an 880 machine but it work fine for what I need.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2006, 08:24:54 AM »

Roger the V572A was unplugged from the wall as well as from the PSC05 when this happened.

Definitely sounds like a faulty PSC05.  My guess is that it is transmitting garbage on the powerline and preventing other transmitters from working.

JimC

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »

I received the replacement PSC05 and sure enough now everything is working fine. AO shipped the replacement the same day we agreed as to what the problem was. I will return the defective unit tho them tomorrow via UPS.

As far as the performance of the V572A...It definitely has increased the range of the RF devices. I have removed all of my transceiver modules that I had scattered throughout the house. I have yet to find an area within the house that is not covered by the V572A. This is impressive considering the unit is in my basement, in my computer/radio room which is under the garage. The room has a cement slab ceiling ( the floor of the garage) and cement block walls on all four sides.  ;D

This weekend I will do some tests to determine exactly how far the unit will receive using the palm pads, keychain remotes and motion sensors.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 08:12:55 AM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 08:38:06 PM »

Glad to here its working good. Looking forward to your range assessment.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

JimC

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 06:45:29 PM »

If anyone is interested here are the results of my testing the range of the V572A.

For testing purposes I mounted the antenna on my rear deck so these results reflect unobstructed line of sight. Unfortunately I only have 125 feet to work with until I run out of property in my rear yard. I tested the MS14A motion sensor, the HR12A palm pad and the KR19A slim fire keychain remote. To my surprise all of these units worked flawlessly at the 125 foot mark.

After testing I mounted the antenna in my basement. With the antenna in the basement I have yet to find a place within the house where either the motion sensors or the palm pad don't work

Conclusion .....I am a very happy camper. ;D ;D ;D This unit has enabled me to eliminate 5 transceiver modules.  :) :)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 06:50:50 AM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 05:14:47 PM »

Great News!  Glad you are happy.

Roger
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.