Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any X10 Techs in the Chicago area?  (Read 6585 times)

orca

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Any X10 Techs in the Chicago area?
« on: September 10, 2006, 10:02:22 PM »

Hello everyone;

I am having a problem with this house where we have installed 34 switches.  Many X10 Pro switches and most others are regular X10 switches.

After I installed the AHP software I discovered that the clients computer never got SP2 for Win XP.  Is that a problem?

Some of the switches work and others don't seem to work at all.  We have followed all instructions from X10 Pro about installing switches according to the electrician he followed their instructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if there is someone with more knowledge about X10 here in the Chicago area who can help, he/she would be compensated appropriately for their assistance.  Please call me at 847-521-9900.

This installation could be the start of many more WHEN this is one is completed successfully.

Make it a GREAT day.

Warm regards,
Orca

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: Any X10 Techs in the Chicago area?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 10:32:42 PM »

After I installed the AHP software I discovered that the clients computer never got SP2 for Win XP.  Is that a problem?

Not that I know of...

Some of the switches work and others don't seem to work at all.  We have followed all instructions from X10 Pro about installing switches according to the electrician he followed their instructions.

Start with my: TTA's X10 Troubleshooting Tips Thread  (Read 364 times)

After you've mapped out the circuits and gone through the Troubleshooting Flowchart, check back in and let us know where you're at.

P.S. No need to BOLD your entire post...  :P
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 10:46:22 PM »

Hello everyone;

I am having a problem with this house where we have installed 34 switches.  Many X10 Pro switches and most others are regular X10 switches.

Your post generates screams of "Phase coupler, phase coupler" and to a lesser extent "X10 noise filter, X10 noise filter".

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 10:54:36 PM »

Your post generates screams of "Phase coupler, phase coupler" and to a lesser extent "X10 noise filter, X10 noise filter".

Of course!  ;D

But, everyone should start out with the BASICS, right?  ;)

[I *HATE* those posts that start out with "REPEATER/AMPLIFIER" without first considering NOISE FILTER and/or then PHASE COUPLER.]

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 11:28:23 PM »

If the OP intends to go into the business, he should invest in a toolkit including a decent X10 signal meter, a few different types of phase coupler, and a few X10 noise filters.

I'd start out by always planning a passive phase coupler on every new installation as a matter of course, swapping out later for a coupler/repeater if necessary.  The Smarthome clothes dryer adapter couplers and coupler/repeaters make this easy to test.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 12:04:17 AM »

I'd start out by always planning a passive phase coupler on every new installation as a matter of course, swapping out later for a coupler/repeater if necessary.  The Smarthome clothes dryer adapter couplers and coupler/repeaters make this easy to test.

Agree!

• Add a PHASE COUPLER (QUICK - One shot!) - if that doesn't work...
  • Add the appropriate NOISE FILTERS (One or more shots)  - if that doesn't work...
  • You need to map out the circuits and check out / "see" what's going on with an X10 Signal Meter

IMO, repeaters and/or amplifiers are a "last resort" effort, used *IF* you cannot figure out the problem *OR* if it's more cost-effective to add one in lieu of several filters.

orca

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 11:36:29 PM »

Hi Again;

Orca here, are any of you in the Chicago area?

There was some kind of unit that was installed in the electrical main panel that is 240V and splits off for each circuit.  That $127 item was recommended by X10Pro to solve the phase problems.  Where are X10 Filters and X10 meter obtained?

Also, does anyone know anything about smarthome units.  There is a local guy here that swears by something called osceola although I have not had enough time to research that.  Between my now full time job (it was part time when I first started this), the upcoming holidays and my wife starting to work again after being off for the summer, it's suddenly mass confusion.

Thanks for the tip about not bolding the text although I can barely read the type which is why I bolded it.

Anyway, thanks for your help and thanks for your support.  I'll read the materials suggested ASAP.

Make it a GREAT day.

Orca

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 08:00:43 AM »

If you're having trouble reading the material because it's too small and you're using an XP computer try the following.  Hold down the "Ctrl" key and at the same time rotate your mouse wheel.  This should change the size of the type on the screen. You can also do this by clicking on "View" in your browser window and selecting "Text Size".
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 08:55:05 AM »

If you're having trouble reading the material because it's too small and you're using an XP computer try the following...
If you're using the Firefox browser, CLICK on Tools -> Extensions and go download a Plug-In named "NoSquint". It allows you to set a default ZOOM size per domain and remembers it. (Meaning, if some sites look OK, some look small and some look LARGE, once you choose a ZOOM Level that looks good to you, "NoSquint" will remember it for all future visits.

I was very stubborn and refused to give up IE for a LONG time, but after just too many crashes on multiple PCs (IE has experienced an error and must close), I jumped in with both feet last week. Spent several hours reading through the thousands of Plug-Ins and now have a very enjoyable CUSTOM, STABLE browser. :)

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 09:07:37 AM »

Also, does anyone know anything about smarthome units.  There is a local guy here that swears by something called osceola...

Ocelot

Take a spin over to CocoonTech.Com and read some of the posts from BraveSirRobin - although most of the folks over there may have started with X10, years ago, most have advanced controlllers and advanced software packages (aka $$$). But, it's enjoyable reading anyway... :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.