Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [HELP] Any Winternals/SysInternals Gurus Here???  (Read 17971 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
[HELP] Any Winternals/SysInternals Gurus Here???
« on: September 14, 2006, 10:35:39 PM »

I'm having the darnest time trying to upgrade from my trusty CM11A/AH (v1.32 on Win98SE) to this "new-fangled" CM15A/AHP (v3.204 on Win2K SP4) !  >:(

Yes, I'm reading the archives - I'm adding the famous "1 Second Delay After DIM", a few "0 Second Delays", unplugged, pulled 1 battery and re-loaded to get Collision Detection working again. But, ACTIVEHM.EXE is still locking up several times a day!

I'm running everything from the connected interface and have 2 AHP windows open - the room with my Motion Detectors and the Activity Monitor. I keep the Task Manager in my Systray, so I can immediately see when I'm doing something *WHEN* it freezes - CPU % goes to 99, the tiny icon turns all green.

Getting rather disgusted with the whole thing, I spent several hours yeterday reading the archives. Today I decided to run SysInternals File Monitor and Process Explorer to look for "clues".

One thing I can't understand is the OBSESSION with "C:WINNTsystem32spoolDRIVERSCOLORsRGB Color Space Profile.icm":

Code: [Select]
19:06:51    ActiveHm.exe:444      OPEN              C:WINNTsystem32spoolDRIVERSCOLORsRGB Color Space Profile.icm  SUCCESS Options: Open  Access: All
19:06:51    ActiveHm.exe:444      OPEN              C:WINNTsystem32spoolDRIVERSCOLORsRGB Color Space Profile.icm  SUCCESS Options: Open  Access: All
19:06:51    ActiveHm.exe:444      QUERY INFORMATION C:WINNTsystem32spoolDRIVERSCOLORsRGB Color Space Profile.icm  SUCCESS FileInternalInformation
19:06:51    ActiveHm.exe:444      CLOSE             C:WINNTsystem32spoolDRIVERSCOLORsRGB Color Space Profile.icm  SUCCESS
19:06:51    ActiveHm.exe:444      QUERY INFORMATION C:WINNTsystem32spoolDRIVERSCOLORsRGB Color Space Profile.icm  SUCCESS Length: 3144
19:06:51    ActiveHm.exe:444      CLOSE             C:WINNTsystem32spoolDRIVERSCOLORsRGB Color Space Profile.icm  SUCCESS
19:06:51    ActiveHm.exe:444      QUERY INFORMATION C:WINNTsystem32spoolDRIVERSCOLORsRGB Color Space Profile.icm  SUCCESS Length: 3144

HUNDREDS of entries!  ???

When it freezes, ActiveHm.Exe is displaying a CSwitch Delta of ~160 in Process Explorer, with a stack of:

• 0 ntoskrnl.exe
  • 1 ahp.dll

and all the entries in File Monitor STOP!  Task Manager reports: "NOT RESPONDING"  (No kidding!)  :P

Ideas anyone?  ???
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

hocuspocus

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: [HELP] Any Winternals/SysInternals Gurus Here???
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 12:09:32 AM »

Try to remove the color profile from your printer.  Here are the instructions on how to add one...reverse the instructions to remove the profile:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/icm_add_color_profile_printer.mspx?mfr=true

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 12:16:51 AM »

Try to remove the color profile from your printer.

I know HOW - WHY should I?  What's the logic behind your suggestion?  ???

hocuspocus

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 12:40:28 AM »

Well wouldn't this prevent ActiveHome from calling sRGB Color Space Profile.icm over and over again?  If you remove it and then run regmon, the hundreds of entries should be gone and will determine if the call to sRGB Color Space Profile.icm was the issue or not...

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 01:05:27 AM »

Ok. That wasn't the profile my networked color printer was defaulting to so I UNSHARED the network printer and renamed the problem icm on the AHP Workstation to icmX.

Now, File Monitor shows that ActiveHm.Exe *STILL* tries to open it (over-and-over-and-over), but now gets a NOT FOUND. Running my Sunset Macro (by starting it from a MiniController Trigger to insure that it runs from the interface) still locks up ActiveHm.Exe exactly the same as before.  :(

Next? ;)

hocuspocus

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 02:16:15 AM »

My next suggestion would be to install MSConfig on your Windows 2k box: http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html.  After that, go into msconfig - startup tab and remove everything that is not required (I guess you could uncheck everything), reboot and pray.  At least this would eliminate a possible startup software conflict.  If that does not resolve it, you may try and disable some services.  Another issue that could arise is if you are using a VIA chipset.  You may need to update your chipset drivers.  Another option is to install a USB 2.0 card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124008 and see if it helps.  On my Windows XP machine with a Gigabyte motherboard, I did not have enough power to run all of my USB devices and had to put a USB PCI card in.  Win2K may get confused if it does not have enough juice to run a USB device.

Good Luck!  I hope you get it working.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 10:55:13 AM »

...I did not have enough power to run all of my USB devices and had to put a USB PCI card in....
Really? How about a powered hub? I've run several USB devices from my laptop and I've run over a half dozen USB devices with chained hubs from my desktop. Wouldn't that of been cheaper than a card or is there some reason that wouldn't of worked?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

hocuspocus

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 11:37:11 AM »

The card is only $9.  It depends a lot on the device and its power consumption.  The CM15A device seems to hungrier than most for power consumption.  A powered USB hub would probably work, but a PCI card always seems to be more stable.  Windows 2000 does not lock up too often so your issue may be hardware related.  A powered hub would use the existing USB hardware in your machine and therefore would not eliminate the problem if that is where it is stemming from.

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 01:55:28 AM »

UPDATE:

My ActiveHm.Exe CRASHES, appear to be very closely tied to these BUGs that I'm (as a CM15A Newbie) just discoverering (i.e. ActiveHm.Exe doesn't seem to CRASH / go to 99% CPU Utilization *UNTIL* after one of these BUGs surfaces).

Re: Multiple Delays in Macro Executed OUT OF ORDER!  (Read 370 times) - Posted: « Reply #32 on: Today at 01:00:20 »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 08:48:12 AM »

...I'm adding the famous "1 Second Delay After DIM", a few "0 Second Delays"...
For what it's worth and I don't think it's your main problem...
While I use "1 second delays" liberally, I've never found "0 Second Delays" to be of any help.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.