Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Please help...ready to give up on x10  (Read 58618 times)

misterbeefy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Please help...ready to give up on x10
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the great thread.  I purchased and had an electrician install the PZZ01 coupler, but still can't get signals to the other phase without using the RF transceiver and creating a macro with both RF and line codes to get both phases to work even partly. I haven't changed everything to the same phase, because that would be a huge task, and I have bought filters to plug items into, but that seems to have HURT more than helped. Any other suggestions that might be an "easy" or "easier" fix than swapping everything to the same phase?

Thanks in advance!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the great thread.  I purchased and had an electrician install the PZZ01 coupler, but still can't get signals to the other phase

I had to do a search to find out what a PZZ01 is. If installed correctly (A jumper on the PZZ01 is needed from L3 to L2 when installing into a split-phase panel?)... I would guess it should resolve your phase issue.

Whatever the problem is... having a phase problem makes X10 a lot less fun... than it will be once fixed. I am [also] guessing that you have no electric stove or clothes dryer to run and [test] complete the connect of the phases.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 07:10:05 AM »

I would make sure the PZZ01 has the needed jumper from L2 to L3 as Dave mentioned and was actually connected to both phases in the breaker box.

One problem with passive phase couplers is signal strength.
If your controller is sending a 5 volt PP signal and by the time it reaches the breaker box. Is maybe 1 Volt PP. Only the 1 Volt PP is coupled back to the other phase. That in turn is attenuated by the other phases wiring.

I had a few passive couplers and they where spotty sometimes. Part of my problems could have been two way modules that tend to absorb X10 signals if not the sending unit; as I have a mixed X10 and Insteon setup.

Then an ACT CR134 Repeater Coupler. I now have an XTB-IIR and things seem to be good. Though I have the known signal suckers and noise makers filtered as needed.

misterbeefy

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 07:20:25 AM »

Whatever the problem is... having a phase problem makes X10 a lot less fun... than it will be once fixed. I am [also] guessing that you have no electric stove or clothes dryer to run and [test] complete the connect of the phases.

Actually, I have both. Call me a dummy, but how can I use those to test the connect of the phases?

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 10:35:12 AM »

Actually, I have both. .. but how can I use those to test the connect of the phases?

Actually... Brian H has the real useful info in his post. Every setup... and every HOME is different. A large home with lots of wiring may have phase problems far beyond what my house has. Plus closeness to the transformer makes a real difference (as well as other issues).

But... the dryer stove test I mentioned: Both stoves and dryers use 220.. or said another way they use both 110 volt lines (each phase) to create 220. So if the clothes dryer is turned on (with the heat on high) the dryer itself will connect the two phases. Similarly you should get the same results with the oven.

If this test resolves your phase issue... you will want to [have the electrician] take a 2nd look at the PZZ01 install.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »

The PZZ01 would block most of an X10 signals from getting to the pole transformer. Actually I believe it is a 30:1 attenuation [from the users manual].

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 04:39:19 PM »

The PZZ01 would block most of an X10 signals from getting to the pole transformer.

I am sure your right... but the oven/dryer test connects the phases on the users side of the breaker box. So... the tests would still work... wouldn't they?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 07:08:55 AM »

OH yes. The dryer or stove would still be a good test. Just closeness to pole transformer may not count as much.
I also wounder about the coupler in the kit. The manual said included coupler only to be used with the blocking device over the neutral feed wire.
Another thought. What happens if the neutral feed is run through the big doughnut backwards. Does it absorb all the X10 signals inside the home?  ::)

misterbeefy

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 06:55:36 AM »

I wouldn't think it would be possible for it to be backwards since it's filtering AC, right??

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 01:25:45 PM »

I believe it absorbs the signals on the Neutral Line and the Instructions do say. The Neutral must be installed through the donut filter in the direction of the arrow. I have no knowledge of what happens if the Neutral is passed through against the arrow.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »

You guys are GOOD and very helpful! I love this forum. Just makes me feel good to see how people go out of their way to help others!  >!

Tom j.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.