🔌General Home Automation > HomeSeer

Homeseer

<< < (3/3)

TakeTheActive:
Are you kidding me? This is serious! Or, what psychologists have to say about writing e-mail

--- Quote from: Cognitive Daily ---A team led by Justin Kruger conducted a series of experiments on how we perceive each other's intentions in e-mail, and their findings do have some relevance to Scalzi's claims. One common problem in e-mails is deciding whether your correspondent is being serious or sarcastic. Taking Scalzi's example, most readers will realize that one of his observations was sarcastic: your IQ doesn't literally decrease when you make a spelling error. But what about the advice given by the aptly-named blogger Grumpy old Bookman, who in response to the much-hyped controversy over fabrications in James Frey's memoir, suggested that authors literally make everything up, taking no inspiration from the real world? Most commenters to that post clearly thought he was being serious, but I have little doubt that the post was intended to be sarcasm (I also think he anticipated that many readers wouldn't "get it" -- and that was part of the joke).
--- End quote ---

Reference

dave w:

--- Quote from: TakeTheActive on September 19, 2006, 12:50:07 PM ---
Soooo, instead of all this "gibber-gabber", why didn't you just click on MODIFY and correct the spelling errors "silently"?  ???

--- End quote ---

Uhhhh, attempt at mild humor??.... I thought it was funny.
You need to quit working on those silent chime modules, cuz its makin you grumpy. ;)

Charles Sullivan:

--- Quote from: TakeTheActive on September 19, 2006, 03:03:41 PM ---
[ Charles, what are all these capital As with a circumflex / caret above them supposed to be in your OS? Your posts are the only places I recall seeing them.]

Characters Ordered by Unicode : LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH CIRCUMFLEX , Acirc

--- End quote ---

For whatever reason they're being sent by an old version of the Opera browser on one of my systems.  I don't see them in the Preview.  I'll have to avoid using that browser for this forum.

[Edited]
Hmm..  This and the above was sent from the latest Opera browser on Win XP.  I don't see the A circumflex in either the Preview or actual posted message with this browser, but I do see it if I read the message on the old Opera.  Very strange - it seems to appear when there are more than two space characters in a row, like here (maybe) "        ".

[Edited again]
Now I'm reading and writing this note in Firefox under Linux and I don't even see the A circumflex characters.  Testing again "       ".

[Edited again]
The A circumflex characters disappeared after the above edit.  Will this old Opera put them back? "       ".  Yep, in the previous lines but not for this new entry in the Preview.  Weird.

[Edited yet again]:  PLEASE LEAVE THIS MESSAGE HERE FOR AWHILE - I"VE REPORTED THE PROBLEM TO OPERA AND WANT TO GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO SEE IT.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version