Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OT: Commerce Department loses 1,137 laptops  (Read 8300 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: OT: Commerce Department loses 1,137 laptops
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 10:49:27 PM »

That's 1,137 laptop computers since 2001!  That's only 5 years!!  How stupid can one Government Cabinet Department be?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 06:29:06 AM »

Read your post above - Thats how stupid!!    >:(
or maybe theres a contest going on with other departments and their trying to win.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 06:31:57 AM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 08:08:08 AM »

Several of the lost computers were from the census department. My daughter made the comment, "At least they know how many they lost."

Breaking it down they lost more than 3 computers every 5 days!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 08:12:10 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 11:38:47 AM »

To put this into perspective, we need to know the total number of laptops thay had in service over the timeframe.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 12:18:38 PM »

To put this into perspective, we need to know the total number of laptops thay had in service over the timeframe.
Well that's true. What seems like a lot to us may only be a small percentage to the number in use. For it to be only a 10% loss you would have to have 11,370 in use. For 5% 22,740 in use. You would also need to factor in average use each computer had when it was lost taking in to account the average functional use life for each computer. Losing a 4 year old computer is far less significant than losing a 4 month old computer. In my opinion you would, however, have to have a whole H*** of a lot in use to make losing 3 every 5 days insignificant.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 12:23:45 PM »

How things have changed !
I once worked at Hunters Point Naval Shipyard (Closed now). When I worked there even our lunch boxes were searched.
When I was in the Army EVERYTHING had to be accounted for, right down to the tent stakes & C rations. Yes ! We ate C rations from WW11. (I rember the Ham&Eggs, tasted like Sulpher - Give me Spam over that any day).
I degress. The point is that security has certainly lapsed. It seems to me that in this day & age there is absolutely no responsibility by anyone for anything. NO ACCONTABILITY AT ALL !
When I was younger; If you screwed up, you admitted it, took your lumps and got on with it.
A few weeks ago Nathan (Grandson) told me in a very arrogant way that I couldn't hit him because I'd be in trouble. So, I smacked him behind the head.
Amen. I have said my peace.

I believe the laptops were provided to authorized employees for use while away from the office, and many were stolen from the employees' homes or vehicles (or at least reported stolen).  It may be difficult to hold an employee accountable for losses from an event which is beyond the employee's control.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 03:15:08 PM »

I disagree. If an employee chooses, even with permission to take equipment home.
Then they assume full responsibility for safeguarding that equipment and should be held accountable.
Unless they can prove that they took every reasonable precaution to safeguard it.

The question arises as to what's reasonable, and that can be a matter of judgement.  E.g., is locking a laptop in the trunk of a car a reasonable precaution?  How about a laptop which is swiped from the xray conveyor belt at an airport while the employee is being held up at the metal detector for a belt buckle (or hip replacement hardware)?  How "reasonably secure" is a home protected by an X-10 security system (especially when the window sticker says "Protected by X10")?

For instance. The VA person that the laptop stolen from his home.
He knew fully well that it contained sensitive information. Did he have deadbolts ? Did he have a security system ?
If he didn't then he should not have taken it there, because his home was not a secure location.

I think the issue there was that sensitive information was removed from the office, not that a laptop was lost.

In the case of the Commerce Department. Whoever was responsible for assigning out the laptops should be the first but not the only person held accountable.

I think if I was to be held personally responsible for laptops I assigned to employees, I would never allow a laptop to be removed from the office (and probably wouldn't have any laptops at all in the office).  But then I'd probably be dinged for being too inflexible and not giving employees the tools they needed for doing their jobs efficiently.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 06:31:33 PM »

Otis69:
I'm sure we could argue all week about this.  We all know that the government can be horribly inefficient and/or incompetant when it comes to things like this.  But we really don't know all the facts in this case - at least I don't - and it's too easy to get all riled up over some "headline".   If there were a million laptops purchased during the time frame and 1000 are unaccounted for, that's probably not too bad a record; if 10,000 were purchased and 1000 are unaccounted for, that's pretty lousy.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.