Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What Happened to the LM14A (2-Way Lamp module 2-pin)?  (Read 18498 times)

DowNet

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What Happened to the LM14A (2-Way Lamp module 2-pin)?
« on: September 22, 2006, 03:57:44 PM »

Anyone know why X10 has stopped selling the LM14A (2-Way Lamp module 2-pin)?  :-  Since their bandit deal a couple of months ago, discounting the units to about 9 dollars a pop or cheaper, it seems that they have ran out and have yet to get any more back in.  Is this unit being discontinued or are they just slow in refreshing their stock?  I've been able to buy a couple from other stores on-line but it appears that X10.com will list the item, but when you click on it to view the info, it brings you to the 1-way lamp module.

Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.  ???
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 04:00:22 PM by DowNet »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: What Happened to the LM14A (2-Way Lamp module 2-pin)?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 04:09:21 PM »

Anyone know why X10 has stopped selling the LM14A (2-Way Lamp module 2-pin)?  :-\  Since their bandit deal a couple of months ago, discounting the units to about 9 dollars a pop or cheaper, it seems that they have ran out and have yet to get any more back in.  Is this unit being discontinued or are they just slow in refreshing their stock?  I've been able to buy a couple from other stores on-line but it appears that X10.com will list the item, but when you click on it to view the info, it brings you to the 1-way lamp module.

Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.  ???

I think we're all waiting to find out what X-10's plans are - whether they're coming out with an improved model or are just discontinuing a product that hasn't sold well enough at its normal price to justify continued production.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 04:22:23 PM »

If you really want LM14's, Pigs Electronics in Baltimore  http://www.pigselectronics.com/  is selling them for $21.99.  Act quickly, they only have 9 left.  Apparently Pigs Electronics can't get them either.

Opps, called the module a LM15.  Bad poster!!!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 06:41:38 PM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

DowNet

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 06:21:56 PM »

If you really want LM15's, Pigs Electronics in Baltimore  http://www.pigselectronics.com/  is selling them for $21.99.  Act quickly, they only have 9 left.  Apparently Pigs Electronics can't get them either.

Yeah, I got my from another online store (smarthome.com)...but looks like I bought them out only by buying one.  Thanks for the tip on "pigs."  I'll try them out.  I agree with the above post; $40-$50 for a 2-way lamp mod is too much from X10.  How are Smarthome's LampLinc's in comparison with controlling X10 PLCs etc?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 07:30:56 AM »

The Lamplincs may also be going and replaced with the newer Insteon versions that can have an X10 Address. They also have no programming dials so you have to send them codes from a controller to program them. Some of the Codes are House Codes only.
I can control them with my PalmPad remote and a RR501 Transceiver.

DowNet

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 12:34:08 PM »

The Lamplincs may also be going and replaced with the newer Insteon versions that can have an X10 Address. They also have no programming dials so you have to send them codes from a controller to program them. Some of the Codes are House Codes only.
I can control them with my PalmPad remote and a RR501 Transceiver.

Are these modules out yet?  And are the former Lamplincs pretty good with remote controls and AHP?

DowNet

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 12:42:10 PM »

I think we're all waiting to find out what X-10's plans are - whether they're coming out with an improved model or are just discontinuing a product that hasn't sold well enough at its normal price to justify continued production.

On 2nd thought, they have to replace it with something. Overall it was and still is a good unit. Pricey? Yes. But still a good unit.  If anyone has good experience with LampLincs or the like, pass it on...it might be time to switch to a different lamp module that can do similar funtictions and hold up to the good sensitivity of the LM41A has.  I think the 1-way lamp mods are terrible. They are slower in response and not as reliable.  If anything they should discontinue those. ::)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 01:43:16 PM »

Makes me happy I purchased 3 extras awhile back. If I recall right isn't the 2way lamp module the only lamp module you can use to turn on a lamp and have it come on at a previous dim level without going full bright first? If so I would think that a replacement of some kind would take its place.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 04:50:15 PM »

DowNet; I have not used the Lamp Types of either X10 Compatible or Insteon much just a few qiuck tests . I have almost 100% CFLs so diming is not possible.
I believe preset dim commands are different from X10s modules and the LampLincs.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 05:24:41 PM »

I believe preset dim commands are different from X10s modules and the LampLincs.

That's correct.  The LM14A uses the Extended Codes to set the brightness level (64 levels) while LampLinc uses the old style Preset Dim commands to set the brightness level (32 levels).  Unfortunately ActiveHome Pro  does not support the old style Presets.

However the LampLinc responds to standard X10 Dim and Bright commands, and can be brightened from the Off state without first going to fully On.  It can also be configured to turn On either to a predetermined brightness level or alternatively to resume the last level it was at when turned Off.  (At least this is true for the one I have, a LampLinc 2000STW.)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

DowNet

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 09:21:49 PM »

That's correct.  The LM14A uses the Extended Codes to set the brightness level (64 levels) while LampLinc uses the old style Preset Dim commands to set the brightness level (32 levels).  Unfortunately ActiveHome Pro  does not support the old style Presets.

However the LampLinc responds to standard X10 Dim and Bright commands, and can be brightened from the Off state without first going to fully On.  It can also be configured to turn On either to a predetermined brightness level or alternatively to resume the last level it was at when turned Off.  (At least this is true for the one I have, a LampLinc 2000STW.)

What is the difference between preset dim and extended code dim?  Don't they achive the same results?

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 10:17:12 PM »

What is the difference between preset dim and extended code dim?  Don't they achive the same results?

Different strokes for different folks.

The LM14A responds to Extended Code Dims but not Preset Dims.  The LampLinc responds to Preset Dims but not Extended Code Dims.

ActiveHome Pro only supports Extended Code Dims.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

DowNet

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 10:42:31 PM »

Different strokes for different folks.

The LM14A responds to Extended Code Dims but not Preset Dims.  The LampLinc responds to Preset Dims but not Extended Code Dims.

ActiveHome Pro only supports Extended Code Dims.

Okay, so for example if I set a dimming level of 50% on a lamplinc module from AHP it won't do it?  Sorry, I'm a bit confused about that.  :-\

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 11:23:04 PM »

Okay, so for example if I set a dimming level of 50% on a lamplinc module from AHP it won't do it?  Sorry, I'm a bit confused about that.  :-\

Sorry if I confused you.  In addition to the Extended Code and Preset Dims, there are also the standard X10 Dims & Brightens.  With the first two (and a compatible module) you can turn on a lamp directly to a specified level.  With the standard Dims, the lamp is first turned On to full brightness then dimmed to the specified level.  All lamp dimmer modules, whether LM14A or LampLinc or standard X-10 Lamp Modules, respond to the standard Dims.

Note however that the percentage brightness level is calibrated only for X-10 productes.  You will usually have to use a different percentage to set a lamp controlled by a LampLinc to the same visible brightness as the same lamp controlled by an X-10 module.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

DowNet

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 11:31:38 AM »

Okay, so for example if I set a dimming level of 50% on a lamplinc module from AHP it won't do it?  Sorry, I'm a bit confused about that.  :-

Sorry if I confused you.  In addition to the Extended Code and Preset Dims, there are also the standard X10 Dims & Brightens.  With the first two (and a compatible module) you can turn on a lamp directly to a specified level.  With the standard Dims, the lamp is first turned On to full brightness then dimmed to the specified level.  All lamp dimmer modules, whether LM14A or LampLinc or standard X-10 Lamp Modules, respond to the standard Dims.

Note however that the percentage brightness level is calibrated only for X-10 productes.  You will usually have to use a different percentage to set a lamp controlled by a LampLinc to the same visible brightness as the same lamp controlled by an X-10 module.

Thanks for the clarity. So if I got this right, if I use AHP to dim a light say to 30%, using a Lamplinc, it won't recognize the command?  And this is becuase the lamplinc does not recognize those "extended codes" sent out by AHP when dimming etc.?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.