Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: telephone ringer  (Read 8361 times)

ColdChuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
telephone ringer
« on: September 28, 2006, 12:44:37 PM »

hello,

I already did a search for sometime before registering to post this question(s). But first a little background..
My wife and I are hearing impaired folks. We need a product that send wireless signal to flash certain lights around the house when the phone rings and doorbell rings also.

Now, here is the question... is there a such a products based on X10 and can it be intergrated/expandable to include other systems such as video camera system, thermostat and so forth??

Awaiting your response,
Chuck
vestharris(at)adelphia(dot)net

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: telephone ringer
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 01:41:25 PM »

My wife and I are hearing impaired folks. We need a product that send wireless signal to flash certain lights around the house when the phone rings and doorbell rings also.

Dang! I remember just reading about "something" that could do that within the past few days (but, let me tell you, after the 1st half century, the memory ain't what she used to be). I'm thinking "Telephone Transponder" so let me check and get back to you.

UPDATE:
Quote from: Touch Tone Controller (new) - TR16A Owner's Manual
It can also flash a selected light or lights anywhere in your home when the phone rings (useful for the hearing impaired).

Reference: Touch Tone Controller (new) - TR16A Owner's Manual

Eliminates having to kludge a RadioShack Telephone Transponder "Thingie" with a Universal Module (that is, unless you only need the *ONE* light to come on when the phone rings - then the RS is definitely the more "cost effective" / CHEAP way to go!)

Now, here is the question... is there a such a products based on X10 and can it be intergrated/expandable to include other systems such as video camera system, thermostat and so forth??

Even without the "Telephone Transponder" (and I don't even know if that's the correct name), X10 makes two "Interfaces" to the non-X10 world that can "bring info IN" and "send info OUT". For example, I have my front door bell button connected to a Universal Module - when someone presses it, a Chime Module goes off and it gets recorded in the X10 Activity Log with time/date. You could just as easily have it turn on a light. Take a look at my "Trip Down Memory Lane" photos (I went crazy one day taking pictures - once I got started and setup the "process", I just figured make it a "One-Shot Deal" and get them all done today):

How "technical" / handy with a screwdriver and soldering iron are you?

How much MONEY do you want to spend?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:06:26 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

ColdChuck

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 06:51:50 PM »

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will look at it as soon as I can.

I am quite proficient with soldering iron and building from scratch (if I have electrical shematics). Programming isn't my strongest point but its improving.

My budget is rather modest (under 400 or so) for now. I know there is a website (www.deafworks.com) but they're asking too much for a product that I believe is not expensive to build and appears to be limited in function. I thought I would join the X10 community by at least automate the house. Ideally, I would like to have a flasher connected to a videophone when it rings, it would flash lights in most of the rooms, and have a outdoor camera where I can see who's prowling around. I had too many problem with my vehicles damaged by local kiddie hooligans (eggs, etc...).  And ultimately, add on features like motion sensor to turn on hallway lights and/or outside lights and so on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »

You may want to look at the X10 TR16A Touch Tone Responder and some lamp or wall switch modules. It is really made to control X10 devices by telephone, but a side feature is the third didgit [set by a dial] of the security code cycles the House Code and Unit Code [in this case the third security code] as the phone rings. I use one to sound a chime module in the cellar. When the phone rings.
Another way maybe an ELK 930 doorbell and phone detector module triggering a Powerflash to then cycle the X10 light modules and wall switches. I use the doorbell detector part of one to trigger a Powerflash that also chimes the same module in the cellar. Not 100% as I have to guess is the phone ringing or is there someone at the door?  ::)

ColdChuck

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 02:53:50 PM »

Hello!

After looking at TouchTone controller. I found that its MINIMUM time to answer the phone after intial ring is 15 seconds. I think people might hang up after 10 rings (assuming 1 ring per second). 

I then looked into ELK 930. I think that will work better. So, I need to get that E-930, PowerFlash Module and few of lamp modules. Am I correct? Also, can these product be able to be integrated into future automation system (such as ActiveHome, etc...)? A guy emailed me and here is the quote:

"I think an easy way to 'interface' to the phone line is with a powerflash module. These detect low voltage change, so you need to find the phone wire that changes voltage when a call comes in, or tap the wire going to the phone's ringer and hook it up to the powerflash module.

Next, set up a macro in your controller that'll do the house light flashing based on X10 signal coming from the powerflash. You may need to ignore subsequent powerflash x10 signals if the ringer voltage goes up and down, and you need to also take care of the terminating event of the light flashing (maybe after 15-20 seconds etc)"

Any comments??
Thanks in advance!

Chuck

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 03:19:02 PM »

Connecting a Powerflash directly to a phone line is not a good idea. On hook the phone line is at average 48 volts. Drops to about 6 off hook but ringing is about 90 volts AC at around 20 cycles. Finding a circuit to detect the ringing and give a closure to the Powerflash or a low voltage to the inputs [It can be set to trigger on a closure or a low voltage input] could do the trick. Basically that is what the ELK does. Detect the ringing voltage and give a closure to the Powerflash. In the closure mode there is actually a small sensing voltage on the terminals of the Powerflash and the ELK actually steals the power from the sensing voltage. So yes if you go with a controller you could use the Powerflash's signal to trigger a macro to do the lights. Little more entailed but should also work.

Future expansion should be fine. Lamp modules can be controlled by many devices. Powerflash; TR16A and a CM15A are some of many. As long as the X10 Address [House/Unit Code] matches the modules setting it will respond to a command. The Powerflash can still trigger things directly or if the code it sends is detected by a macro in a controller it can also go that route. I just would not have a direct address and a macro on the same address but some may give different results.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 03:47:19 PM »

After looking at TouchTone controller. I found that its MINIMUM time to answer the phone after intial ring is 15 seconds. I think people might hang up after 10 rings (assuming 1 ring per second). 

The fifteen seconds they are refering to is the time it takes the controler to answer the phone so you can send commands to it.  The controller responds to a ringing signal on the phone line immediately and the light you connect to it will start blinking on the first ring and continue until you answer or the caller hangs up. 
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 10:02:03 PM »

Here's an idea you might like:

Get an old _external_ modem, preferably one which uses pencil switches for setup rather than software.

Connect an X-10 Powerflash module across Pin 22 (Ring Indicator) and Pin 7 (Signal Ground) of the modem's DB-25 connector.

Set the modem NOT to auto-answer and just plug it into the telephone wall jack.  (No connection to the PC).
Set the Powerflash to INPUT A (Voltage) and MODE 3 (On/Off to Housecode/Unit codewheel address).

Now each ring of the telephone will send an X10 On signal followed by an X10 Off signal.  A lamp module set to the same Housecode and Unit will flash the light in unison with the rings (delayed by a second or so).

I just tried this with an old USR Courier 2400 modem and it works like a charm.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 07:09:32 AM »

Did a quick test and with the TR16A in the delay for an Answering Machine with none on line. The address of Security Code third digit. Will cycle on and off for 30 seconds before it picks up.
Oldtimer thanks for clearing up the possible confusion on when it starts to cycle the address.

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 02:14:25 AM »

If you don't feel like tearing apart an old phone you can try: http://www.smarthome.com/1221.html connected to a powerflash.
If you are willing to shell up a little for something plug and play that someone else put together try: http://www.deafworks.com/ORDER_ONLINE/x10.html.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 12:11:29 PM »

I just reread this thread and realized that this would be a good place to post a piece of information that is not explicit in the TR16A/TR551 manuals.  In fact this would answer another question posted here that I can't find now.

Anyway - if you don't want the blinking light feature in the TR16A/TR551 just turn the last of the three code wheels to "Off" and limit your access code to two digits. I can't imagine anyone trying to call your house 81 times to try and discover your access code.

I know this seems obvious once you read it but if you're not interested in blinking a light when the phone rings and are concentrating on your access code, 3 digits are attractive until a module starts acting up.  Or, even more important, when the Responder trying to blink a non-existant module interferes with a macro that's running at the same time.  That's what prompted me to look into this  more closely.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 04:09:14 PM by Oldtimer »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 03:35:48 PM »

Yes no third digit disables the flashing or cycling. In my manual it is vaguely touched on.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 04:39:16 PM »

ColdChuck : If you plan on having a PC on all the time to do some of your automation then you could use software to do this!
If You have or were going to get the Active Home Pro kit:
I could add the code into my program Topic: Phone Control (AlertDialer) Addon  (Read 3058 times) 
 to do this, But you would need a internal voice modem to use it!
I could posibly add the code to the internal data modem version as well! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.