Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Home Automation as a business  (Read 20130 times)

claudio15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Home Automation as a business
« on: September 28, 2006, 01:59:47 PM »

Hello folks, I am a newbie to this board and the home automation business. I do have question(s) for the experienced and would like to see if I can get some feedback or ansewers. My brother and I are looking to start a business part time at first in the Home Automation field. My brother currently is an electrician apprentice and has about 2 years left until he completes his apprenticeship, I am a sales executive and work with contractors of sorts in the water, oil & gas industry. My brother has done a number of installs within the public schools such as installing electronic dampers to control temperature output and along with that lighting and security systems. I am currently in the midst of finishing a business plan for us regarding our future business. My question is how viable it is to start the business part time so that we can then eventually move into full time. Are there opportunities to work with contractors in new home developments to get our installs in and how likely is this or how do we possibly go about this? I am not at the market analysis part of the business plan but do know it seems that HA and Commercial Automation is being asked for in our area of Canada. Any help or feedback would be great, thank you in advance for your responses.

claudio15

Re: Home Automation as a business
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 09:09:24 AM »

:-\Hello folks, I am surprised that there has been no replies, all I am asking for is for some help or opinions. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. ANYBODY

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 11:13:27 AM »

claudio15 -- You bring up some good questions. However, the questions can only be answered by knowing your particular situation.  You are on the right track with the experiences that you and your brother have.  It sounds like you have good business sense and your brother has good electrical skills.  Both of these attributes should help your business.  Once you've completed your business plan, answers to your questions should become more apparent.  A good, thoughtout business plan will give you the direction you are seeking.  There are many sources (banks, Better Business Bureau, local colleges, the internet) that are available to help you build a solid business plan.  You can build different scenerscenariosn your business plan that will show you various risks based upon different conditions.  The more analysis you do now will greatly improve your chances for a successful business.  Good luck.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 04:28:04 PM »

Check out this link it may supply some helpful info! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

claudio15

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 08:07:05 PM »

Thank you both for your replies, I hope that this business goes as planned. I am curious to what people on this forum think to the future of the home and commercial automation industry? I have posted this before on a different forums not related to home automation and the feed back seemed as though most thought that with the wave of wireless, affordable product lines such as X10, and new and innovative products will make this a profitable industry. Any opinions!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.