Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Copyright Question about Article written in defunct “Popular Home Automation” Magazine  (Read 10359 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

This digresses but:

A long time ago I wrote DIY article for using three X10 appliance modules and two cheap HVAC thermostats to control HVAC on-off, fan, and normal or setback temperature (a little on the order of the first paragraph of Bigbear's May response in this thread).

The article was in the now defunct Popular Home Automation magazine, May 1999 issue. 

Do any of you copyright experts know if I can email or post the "raw article" without getting in trouble with "Home Automation", the re-incarnate of Popular Home Automation" and "Electronic House" magazines?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Programmable Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 01:27:32 PM »

Do you have the original article that you wrote and submitted?  If so, it is yours to do what you want. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Programmable Thermostat
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 02:32:32 PM »

Sure I have the original text, drawings, schematics etc I submitted to Popular Home Automation. However I was paid for the article, sooooo I am not sure of my rights. (?)

I am not even sure anyone would find it useful. I did other DIY articles and product reviews as did many others.  It is too bad "Home Automation" does not archive all the old issues of PHA and Electronic House on the web. There were many great articles for DIY'ers in PHA.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.

It all depends on the terms and conditions of the contract you had with "Popular Home Automation."

Your safest bet would be to get permission from "Home Automation" to post the article.

BTW. I split this article into a separate thread.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.