Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP - Windows XP 'No disk in drive' error message  (Read 8520 times)

nikumaroro

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP - Windows XP 'No disk in drive' error message
« on: October 05, 2006, 05:10:45 PM »

I recently had to reinstall AHP as a result of a hard drive crash which occasioned a machine rebuild (yes all the important stuff was backed up!).  Whenever AHP is initiated,  I immediately get the Windows (XP Pro) error message, "There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert disk into drive." No drive is identified.  The only way to get rid of this is to click on the CONTINUE button in the dialog about 20 or 30 times rapidly (?!).  After that, AHP starts and so far everything seems to work, although I'm still in the process of setting everything up as it was before the crash.  I have tried removing AHP using the instructions in the forum and reinstalling it.  My only thought is that AHP might be looking for something on Drive C:, where the operating system would normally be installed.  Windows, in it's wisdom installled on Drive H: (a RAID 1 array), assigning C through F to removeable USB devices and G to the ODD.  However, if that were the case, I wouldn't expect AHP to work after all the button clicking since presumably the missing files would not have been found.  Has anyone else this problem?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: AHP - Windows XP 'No disk in drive' error message
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 05:40:23 PM »

What drive is AHP on?  The install routine puts it in C:\Program Files\Active Home Pro.  It also creates 2 folders under C:\Program Files\Common Files\X10, plus it creates a folder on C: called My Images, plus 3 folders below that one. That's where cameras put their pictures, it is established even if you have no cameras.

If you put AHP on any other drive without doing all the Registry editing to tell AHP where it is, you will have problems.  AHP was designed to go on the C: drive.

I have a multiple drive system running XP Home and AHP was put on the C: drive.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 05:41:54 PM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

nikumaroro

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 05:55:46 PM »

AHP is on Drive H:, as is the operating system.  It is the boot drive.  The Program files\Common Files are there as well.  There is no drive C: as such (not a HDD at least).  When I did the clean Windows install with the new drives etc., Windows assigned C: to a removeable USB device attached to the USB ports on the motherboard (a front panel memory card reader).  It didn't give you a choice.  The only local hard drive is H: (actually a RAID 1 array).  So there is no local hard drive C:

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 08:47:46 PM »

That's why you are getting the error message. Windows thinks AHP is on C, not H.

If you have that setup, run Regedit and see where AHP is in the registry.  I suspect every key referring to AHP refers to Drive C.   If that's the case, every key has to to refer to H.

Fun with Windows.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 08:49:29 PM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 10:30:37 PM »

AHP is on Drive H:, as is the operating system.  It is the boot drive.  The Program files\Common Files are there as well.  There is no drive C: as such (not a HDD at least).  When I did the clean Windows install with the new drives etc., Windows assigned C: to a removeable USB device attached to the USB ports on the motherboard (a front panel memory card reader).  It didn't give you a choice.  The only local hard drive is H: (actually a RAID 1 array).  So there is no local hard drive C:

Try this and see if it helps:
  Make sure AHP is stopped.
  Go to folder  /Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/X10 Settings
  Just in case this doesn't work, copy all the files in this folder somewhere else for safekeeping.
  Delete all the files in this folder.
  Now try running AHP.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

nikumaroro

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 11:19:53 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions.  I appreciate your thoughts on this.  Removing the files from the X-10 folder in Application Data had no effect.   As to the registry references. I had already done that.  All the references in the registry that show a path (references to libraries 'ahscript' and 'X10net' as well as to the executable 'X10nets') refer correctly to drive H:  Nothing refers to any other drive.  I suspect that it may be something more obscure in the AHP code that can't accept a drive C: with no medium in it, even though it doesn't use it for anything.  I did a test install on my dual-boot machine that has LINUX on drive C: and WinXP on Drive D:  Even though AHP installed everything on D: and no files on C: (I checked), this setup works fine.  So it may be that I either live with it, go back to square1 on the machine build, removing the USB drives or relocate the dual boot machine to where the x-10 interface is (its RF reception is poor if located in the room where that computer is now - along with its printers scanner etc.).  All undesirable options.  This is really fun.  

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.