Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need an overview of X10 Home Automation from someone who thinks like I do...  (Read 4171 times)

dyerfr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

For some reason , I am not grasping the overall house code unit code relationship and how it works...

So, assuming that the reason I am not grasping ISN'T because I am dim... :D

I recently purchased an X10 security system and successfully installed it in just a few minutes. No real problems (see below).

What I am getting hung up on (and this may be due to the fact that I purchased the security system and not a Home Automation system) is how the overall system works with House codes and unit codes...

So, my security system is set to A1, and the lamp modules are as well (I have no motion sensors installed). So when the alarm goes off, the lights do as well (all good there), as does the remote siren. However, when I used the security remote to turn on the lamps, the remote siren (also set to A1) went off. Not good. So I changed the unit code on the on the siren to 5 (so now A5) (Set to 5 thinking that the Security Remote can control anything between A1 and A4, and don't want my wife accidentally hitting 1-4 and turning on the siren - not sure if this is correct, either...). Now when the alarm goes off, the lights flash and the siren goes off, and when I use the remote to turn on the lights, the siren doesn't go off (all good)... But this brings up a question for me:

- why does the alarm go off in both A1 and A5 modes? Does the Security System 'own' the 'A' House code now and broadcast the alarm to ALL devices set to House Code 'A'? Were I to add more components in the future that are set to ANY 'A' house code (A1 - A15) , would it/they be turned on by the security system? (also, if this is correct, why does the Alarm console have a unit code dial on it at all??)

I'll probably have followups based on responses here. Thanks in advance!

dyerfr

forgot to mention that it is a DS7000 system...

immyfish

• Helpful Post Rating: 2

Drews

For some reason , I am not grasping the overall house code unit code relationship and how it works...

So, assuming that the reason I am not grasping ISN'T because I am dim... :D

I recently purchased an X10 security system and successfully installed it in just a few minutes. No real problems (see below).

What I am getting hung up on (and this may be due to the fact that I purchased the security system and not a Home Automation system) is how the overall system works with House codes and unit codes...

So, my security system is set to A1, and the lamp modules are as well (I have no motion sensors installed). So when the alarm goes off, the lights do as well (all good there), as does the remote siren. However, when I used the security remote to turn on the lamps, the remote siren (also set to A1) went off. Not good. So I changed the unit code on the on the siren to 5 (so now A5) (Set to 5 thinking that the Security Remote can control anything between A1 and A4, and don't want my wife accidentally hitting 1-4 and turning on the siren - not sure if this is correct, either...). Now when the alarm goes off, the lights flash and the siren goes off, and when I use the remote to turn on the lights, the siren doesn't go off (all good)... But this brings up a question for me:

- why does the alarm go off in both A1 and A5 modes? Does the Security System 'own' the 'A' House code now and broadcast the alarm to ALL devices set to House Code 'A'? Were I to add more components in the future that are set to ANY 'A' house code (A1 - A15) , would it/they be turned on by the security system? (also, if this is correct, why does the Alarm console have a unit code dial on it at all??)

I'll probably have followups based on responses here. Thanks in advance!

Try putting the horn in a totally different groups from the lights. Groups are A1-A4, A5-A8, A9-A12, A13-A16.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.