Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replacement X-10 Signal Coupler/Repeater Needed  (Read 1617 times)

jclarkw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Replacement X-10 Signal Coupler/Repeater Needed
« on: July 26, 2024, 07:36:33 PM »

I've been using a Leviton/Decora model HCA02 for years (before that, a CR230 from Advanced Control Technologies).  Now it's failed -- apparently totally dead -- and my signals no longer pass between power legs, although within legs everything still works.

I searched with Google, and the only comparable unit I could find was the XPCR Phase Coupler/Repeater by X-10 Pro.  I ordered one from Amazon and installed exactly as before, but it didn't do anything!  The LED didn't even illuminate on receipt of X-10 signals.  Several Questions:

Have others had trouble with these units?
Might I have inadvertently killed the new unit?  (I have a good-quality surge suppressor on the power system.)
Is there any alternative to the XPCR anymore?
Might I have better success ordering directly from X-10?

Thanks in advance for any help! -- jclarkw

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 160
Re: Replacement X-10 Signal Coupler/Repeater Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2024, 08:48:39 PM »

There's one on ebay right now for $30. 
https://t.ly/VVnjv

A better option would be a JVDE XTB-IIr - IF you can find one. Sadly, they are no longer available.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2024, 09:59:12 PM »

A better option would be a JVDE XTB-IIr - IF you can find one. Sadly, they are no longer available.

I wound up with some extra XTB-IIR PCBs.  I might consider a custom build, but it would be significantly more expensive because many of the components would have to be reordered at single quantity prices.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

jclarkw

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2024, 01:17:18 PM »

There's one on ebay right now for $30. 
https://t.ly/VVnjv

Thanks, Brobin, for you helpful suggestions, but you still leave me wondering about the XPCR Phase Coupler/Repeater by X-10 Pro, especially since you refer me back to a used Leviton/Decora model HCA02.  Is the XPCR (still in production) known to be no good, or is it worth trying another from a different distributer?

Regards -- jclarkw

jclarkw

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2024, 01:22:48 PM »

I wound up with some extra XTB-IIR PCBs.  I might consider a custom build, but it would be significantly more expensive because many of the components would have to be reordered at single quantity prices.

Jeff

Jeff -- I'm interested but would like an upper bound on total cost before committing.  I suppose it would cost significantly more than another try at the XPCR.  Please let me know if you're willing.

One of my problems is that, whatever I end up with for this house, I have another house using the same old HCA02.  I would like to lay in a couple of spares for future failures! -- jclarkw
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 04:15:08 PM by jclarkw »

brobin

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2024, 01:45:16 PM »

It sounds like you had a defective one so if the HCA02 you had worked well, a new one should too.  BUT, as we increasingly add more electronic noisemakers/signal suckers in our homes the XTB-IIR will overcome all but the worst offenders.

Both the Leviton and X10 couplers are effective but not nearly as much as the XTB-IIR which transmits a 20 volt signal that will go where no signal has gone before.  It's definitely more expensive (2 to 3x when in production) than a new XPCR but it's worth it if you want virtually 100% reliability.  I've used the HCA02 and then 2 different versions of the ACT repeaters over the years but only the XTB-IIR solved all my signal issues.  Buy once, cry once - 100% worth it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 08:54:45 PM by brobin »

jclarkw

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2024, 02:45:07 PM »

Thanks again, brobin.  I had ordered another XPCR from another vendor and just installed it.  It works fine, so I guess I'm OK until they, too, are discontinued.

Still interested in trying one of these XTB-IIR though, if JeffVolp is willing to produce one for an acceptable price...

Cheers! -- jclarkw
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 04:12:14 PM by jclarkw »

brobin

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2024, 08:59:25 PM »

You can read more about it here as well the rest of the excellent info on his site:
https://jvde.us/xtb-iir/

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2024, 05:02:54 PM »

I wound up doing a custom build, and ordered enough components to populate the remaining XTB-IIR boards.  If anyone wants one, contact me directly.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.