Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: False Alarms - The PowerHouse Security System  (Read 5885 times)

Rosa

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
False Alarms - The PowerHouse Security System
« on: October 19, 2006, 02:26:27 PM »

There is something I do not understand. Yesterday I added 1 Window and Door sensor to the basic setup of 2 and was going to add another 2 today. We armed the system as usual, using the keyholder sensor. I also have one motion sensor installed and one waiting to be installed. In my view, adding the W&D sensor should not have changed the movement sensor's reach. I am aware that I need to press the at Home button from the remote to leave the Movement sensor disarmed, and I've heard of problems with this sensor. But adding a W&D sensor should NOT have triggered the alarm. No one went to the area  that is covered by the Movement sensor. Yet, I triggered the alarm last night. I disarmed it, and armed it, but it triggered again in just over 4 hrs.

Could someone tell me what's going on? Why would a W&D sensor affect the area covered by the Motion sensor? What can I do short of pulling out the Movement sensor?

Thanks
 :o

Rosa

Re: False Alarms - The PowerHouse Security System
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 04:22:19 PM »

I removed the Motion Sensors from the system, and the system now work fine. I have seen all kind of advise on motions sensors, and noted that some people are giving up, while others suggested drastic solutions such as opening the enclosure, and this is out of bound. The idea of sticking tape to the top of the MS eye would be feasible. Has someone found a solution that worked?

???

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 09:12:58 PM »

The "just over 4 hours" may be the key to the puzzle.  The DS10A Door/Window sensor sends an "I'm alive" signal every 60-90 minutes.  The security console expects to receive a signal at least once every 4 hours.

It sounds like either the DS10A is not working properly or its signal is just not reaching the console.  Or if the batteries were removed, the DS10A's security ID may have changed from the time you registered it with the console.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Rosa

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 10:59:00 PM »

Yes, I am aware of the DS10A checking with the house console every so often. The problem is the motion sensor, and this is why I am now hoping to find out about some roundabouts. In the meantime, we are having to by-pass the Motion Sensors, and this is a pity.

Could you confirm this? It is about the channels and perhaps it is related to the false alarm. The PowerHouse console has 8 Channels, and the remote 4 Code extensions. Are these just for sensors? How are they used? I have 2 Key rings, 5 W/D sensors, and 1 motion sensor. In addition, I have another movement sensor I want to install once I get the present hardware working well. If I slide the PowerHouse to Install mode, 6 of them light up. These are I believe, for the 5 W/D and the Movement sensors. This means that the key rings, the remote and the lamp do not use extra codes or Channels? I have the lamp in the default settings, but reading the manuals again, I realize that it should be in a different Unit (which one?), but I don't know how it can zones or codes can be assigned to devices. Codes are automatically assigned, right? What about Channels?

???

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 11:11:20 PM »

I'm going to have to defer to someone else - I don't have the same hardware as you do.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Rosa

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 11:39:24 PM »

Thank you for looking into the message. I am not too worried, not unless the W/D sensors stop working as well. As it is now, it is more like a learning exprience.

:)

Rosa

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 07:57:39 PM »

I seem to have fixed the problem with false alarms. For this, I placed 2 of them almost back to back (their backs at an angle) and covered most of their eyes with black tape. 

Have patience with me, I just have 6 more door/windows sensors and the siren to install. I may not have enough channels left - how do I find out if I don't? And if not, should I install an extender? Or another Home Security base? The remaining windows are in the basement, and I know that at least the back door sensor works. I have bars installed, but a friend who was a maintenance person tells me that bars and their lock can be broken into in a few  seconds.

I am so glad that the movement sensors work. After reading some comments here I thought that I would never get them to work.
How does one subscribe to a particular discussion? I am getting a conversation I did not subscribed to.

The above worked for 3 days. Now, I cannot even arm the system without getting the Movement sensors acting up. I thought that pressing just Alarm Home would leave the MS out, and that the key ring only armed D/W sensors. But it does not seem to work this way.  I am going to have to reset the entire system, and unless there is a solution, I will leave the movement sensors out. A pity, I hope that a solution is forthcoming.

CK
 :-\
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 12:12:51 PM by Rosa »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 01:44:18 AM »

How does one subscribe to a particular discussion? I am getting a conversation I did not subscribed to.
CK
 :-\
When you read the topic, click the "notify" button.  It will allow you to enable or disable notification emails.

By the way, welcome aboard!  I noticed that your first action after creating an account was to read about where and how to post.  I meant to thank you then, but I got distracted.  So... thank you!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.