Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestions/How tos  (Read 2994 times)

CobraCats

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Suggestions/How tos
« on: October 28, 2006, 12:26:44 AM »

I recently purchased a kit from x-10.  I chose x-10 because of its flexiblity and because I can integrate my alarm system.  I havent yet recieved the kit I ordered but it is on the way.  I have installed several x-10 modules in the past with my career, I am a Security installer.  Most of the time we are installing a single module here and there.  I will be using the x-10 with my alarm system but wont be using the x-10 as security (i will trust my monitored system for that).  But the first basic thing I will be doing is setting the system so that when I open my front door the hall light turns on. 

I am looking for interesting HowTos and any suggestions you may have.  I find the website a little to focused on selling and not enough on the cool things I want to do, like open my blinds at 7 am mon-fri but 10 am on weekends.

Thanks in advance

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Suggestions/How tos
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 12:42:57 AM »

...the cool things I want to do, like open my blinds at 7 am mon-fri but 10 am on weekends.

Sounds like you want to be in full control of how things work.  ;)
For that you will need automation software like Active Home Pro.

But the first basic thing I will be doing is setting the system so that when I open my front door the hall light turns on.

This can be very straight forward with a motion sensor, light switch and transceiver. No software required unless you want more control over it than just detecting motion when it's dark.

CobraCats

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 12:55:28 AM »

as for the blinds issue, I have the idea but not sure how to implement it....

With the front door I will be using my existing alarm system so that when the contacts open it activates the lights

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 01:07:39 AM »

Only way I can think of interfacing your existing door contacts to X10 is with a Power Flash (PSC01). With that, you wouldn't need a transceiver since it would send an X10 signal direct to the power lines to activate a light switch. But of course that depends if you existing system can be wired to the Power Flash.

I have seen blind / drape controllers at automatedoutlet.com, I don't have anything like that now so I can't really give details on the how to's, but I'm sure a Universal Module (PUM01) would come into play.

CobraCats

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 01:11:14 AM »

yeah I will check out automatedoutlet.com.

As for the front door I will be using the PSC04 to get the signal from my panel to the light switch
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 01:12:52 AM by CobraCats »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.