Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: car video receiver  (Read 5107 times)

plschwartz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
car video receiver
« on: October 22, 2006, 04:13:04 PM »

Friend of mine has an old house where the driveway is right at the bottom of a curve on a highway and his wife is scared to drive.
I figured that he could put a camera further up the curve to view the oncoming traffic. And put a video receiver in the car.
Does anyone have suggestions for a cheapish setup for them

Thank you

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: car video receiver
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 09:28:59 PM »

Friend of mine has an old house where the driveway is right at the bottom of a curve on a highway and his wife is scared to drive.
I figured that he could put a camera further up the curve to view the oncoming traffic. And put a video receiver in the car.
Does anyone have suggestions for a cheapish setup for them

Thank you

Now that sounds cool. I've been playing with the idea of a portable monitor (for other reasons) myself. I had planned on using my old handheld color TV (2 inch screen) it runs on batteries, a cigarette lighter converter, or a powerpack transformer.

I planned on connecting it through it's external antenna extention (it doesn't have a video input) to a X10 video receiver. Since I plan on using my set-up to check (X10 wireless) camera angles and placement, I was thinking about mounting it all in/on a tool box.

I plan on getting power from my 12 volt "jump start" portable 12 volt power supply. I have a small cigarette lighter power inverter (75 watt). I have (after I bought mine) seen these in two-packs for $28.

My set-up is to keep me from running back and forth down the ladder, then to the TV in the house, then back out and up the ladder while setting up my cameras.

Of course, you may want to use a DVD video display, they have video inputs. And a hardwired low wattage power inverter would be nice. Of course with all low-power transmitters (wireless cameras) "line of sight" gives the best range. Mounting your camera on a pole would help. I think if you search these forums you might even find a video receiver antenna modification.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

rmarz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: car video receiver
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 03:05:16 AM »

I just bought a wireless video unit at Costco for about $90 that was intended to provide rear view capability for RV's, trailers etc.  The small LCD display (about the size of a cigarette pack) is in the drivers area and the small camera mounted on the rear of the vehicle or license plate bracket.  Obviously it has to be powered by 12 volts.  I tested it in the garage and the line-of-sight capability between the camera/transmitter and LCD receiver  looked to be at least 30-40 feet..  I didn't try to establish maximum range.  The camera has a wide angle lens so visibility is pretty good.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.