Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: PZZ01 NOISE FILTER< COUPLER QUESTIONS  (Read 20513 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: PZZ01 NOISE FILTER< COUPLER QUESTIONS
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2006, 01:04:21 AM »

Does anyone have a working x10 tester i can use. i would pay for shipping and return to you. I think its too expensive to buy it for a one time use.

Well, *BEFORE* Jim aka Otis69 aka Duck69 chimes in with "You can borrow an ESM-1 from..." :o ;), *I'D* like to state:

[SOAPBOX MODE: ON]
IMHO, when a "little guy" develops and produces such a useful tool for a LIMITED MARKET, the consumers should, if at all economically possible, SUPPORT HIM WITH A PURCHASE. My ESM-1 purchase is a decision that I'll never regret - I use it all the time! :)
[SOAPBOX MODE: OFF]
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2006, 06:58:23 AM »

If you can't get someone with a loaner.
Automated Outlet has ELK ESM-1 testers for loan. You pay for it and the shipping and on return you get credit for the cost of the tester. Note you need a signal source sending the X10 tests. I used my test feature on a Smarthome 1132CU.
www.automatedoutlet.com

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2006, 12:27:23 PM »

While you are there pick yourself up a boosterlinc.

It may be a little pricy but it should help with your troubleshooting and maybe help solve your problem.

If ao does let you return the tester for credit, pick up another boosterlinc on the way back.

Smarthome recommends:
If the home is less than 2,000 sq. ft., start with a SignaLinc Plug-In Phase Coupler.
If the home is larger than 2,500 sq. ft., start with a SignaLinc Plug-In Coupler Repeater.
Install one BoosterLinc Plug-In Signal Booster for every 1,000 sq ft of living space in the parts of the house where you're having issues.
Install a FilterLinc Plug-In Noise Filter on each device that could be absorbing signals (TVs, A/V gear, computers, etc.).

The recommendation is sound, but take it with a grain of salt because they do have products they want to sell.   From what I can tell, there's no harm in taking the advice as it only does good and not harm, but it will cost a pretty penny.

I currently have a PZZ01 with 2 boosterlinc setup.    The PZZ01 just because of neighborhood paranoia.   As far as filters, just grab a bunch of powerstrips from you local hardware with EMF/RFI with a lower boundry of 100kHz and make sure you plug all your regular electronic equipment into that (the higher the db rejection the better).   X10 signals are at 120kHz.   It does the job of the filterlinc's for me and saves a bundle.

www.automatedouted.com should have all the products from smarthome.
www.sensorsandmore.com has them in the X10 Tools section for a little lower, but not as wide a selection of other X10 stuff.
or go straight to the manufacturer www.smarthome.com

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 12:46:41 PM »

FWIW #2

Charles Sullivan reminded me of another problem I have seen in the past. We had a Cutler Hammer breaker panel and I found that periodically pressing the buss coupling end of each breaker (the end pointing towards the center of the panel) would improve my X10 signalling throughout the house. So it became a twice a year PM to "re-seat" all the breaker's buss ends. Later I got lazy and glued a 1/2 inch clear vinyl tube to the back of the panel cover's center bar (the bar covering the buss end of all the breakers). Once the panel door was re-installed the tube applied pressure to the end of breakers. Be advised I am NOT advocating this, it is information only (insert legal gobblygook here).

The problem was; the higher frequency X10 signal would get attenuated in the breaker "spring clip to buss coupling", where 120V 60Hz was coupled well.

The simple test is to simply press down lightly on each circuit breaker bat handle. If your X10 signal reliability suddenly improves, you might establish the practice as  bi-yearly preventative maintenace.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 11:42:40 PM »

While you are there pick yourself up a boosterlinc.

IMHO, you should:

*BEFORE* you resort to installing a "200 Watt Linear RF Amp" (from the old "CB Radio" days)!  :o

It's much cheaper to SHUT OFF THE VACUUM CLEANER when you're shouting something to your wife than to BUY A MEGAPHONE / PA SYSTEM. ;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 07:54:13 AM »

Not going to disagree with your fine itemized points.

But sometimes when you are making a speech and the people in the back
can't hear you, a PA system is a very feasable solution.   Especially when you can't get always force
people to quite down. 

0.) BUY an ELK ESM1 X-10® Signal Meter!
1.) ELIMINATE any NOISE.
2.) ELIMINATE any SIGNAL SUCKERS.
3.) INSTALL a PASSIVE COUPLER.

0) The Elk tells you if people in the back can hear you.
1) Every unpluggable device has been unplugged.  to shut them up.
2) The CM15A has been plugged onto the same circuit next to the receiving module
3) The PZZ01 has been identified and recommended as well as a signalinc
4) PA to help out the people in the back hear a little better.

Agreed its cheaper for everything just works the first time.   

But the difference between cheap (getting by) and working well is a matter of knowing
what quality of signal each of your module is getting and helping them when they can't
hear your signals  (removing noise, signal sucker, increasing signal strength).

My option is the same,  When you are ready to start testing signal quality, (if you can afford it) save yourself
a trip and keep a boosterlinc in your toolbelt as it will come in handy at some point in a larger X10 installation. 
 Especially as you grow in the number of X10 modules and each module start sucking
up a bit of the signal along the way.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.