Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gotta Like Snow  (Read 4247 times)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Gotta Like Snow
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:26:33 PM »

Everyday I come home from work I have a couple dozen video files from all the motion detections / cameras around my house. Most of them come from the front facing the street. I do have that MS16A positioned to try and not get too much of the street, but in order to make sure I cover all my property, they do get triggered by vehicles now and then.

Usually I quickly scan each file to see if someone / something had triggered the recording, that I want to know about. But this week, that task became so much easier. Because of the snow on the ground, I just have to look at the end of the recording and look for footprints etc. that were not at the start of the recording.  ;) ;D :D

There is one downfall that came with the colder weather & snow... a LOT of false triggers by the MS16A's. I don't know if it's from the heat of vehicles being a greater contrast or just from being cold; but since I don't get many falses from my backyard, I'm leaning towards the vehicles. Since this is my first cold weather season with outside motion detectors, I'm hoping some of the "Oldtimers", who live where the weather gets cold, can relate their experiences.

(P.S. I posted this question here since it's more related to motion sensors used for camera triggering.  ;) )

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Gotta Like Snow
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 06:50:15 PM »

The motion sensor trigger on a IR sensor detecting a heat change in a certain time frame from a moving object through the detection field. So I guess that a cold temp with a cars heat passing the sensor may trigger it.
I have seen warranty breaking mods that change the detection curve to reduse false triggers.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 07:04:10 PM »

The motion sensor trigger on a IR sensor detecting a heat change in a certain time frame from a moving object through the detection field. So I guess that a cold temp with a cars heat passing the sensor may trigger it.

Yeah, that's what I figure... the heat from the cars didn't really change, but the ambient makes them look hotter to the detector I guess.

I have seen warranty breaking mods that change the detection curve to reduse false triggers.

Warranties never stopped me before  ;) If you know of or ever see any links to mods for the MS16A, pass them on.  :)
Thanks Brian.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 12:08:06 AM »

...I do have that MS16A positioned to try and not get too much of the street, but in order to make sure I cover all my property, they do get triggered by vehicles now and then...

Each tiny "window" in the MS1x sensor is like a "spoke" from a wagon wheel, reaching out at a slightly different angle and azimuth than it's neighbor. Horizontally "triggering" xx sequential windows (only X10 knows the value of xx - let's say 3) causes the sensor to trip.

*IF* the windows detecting the cars are NOT needed for the property (i.e. only the windows in the high row on the left side, via distance and angle, can see the cars), you could, by trial-and-error, selectively block off individual (or small groups of) windows...

...a LOT of false triggers by the MS16A's. I don't know if it's from the heat of vehicles being a greater contrast or just from being cold; but since I don't get many falses from my backyard, I'm leaning towards the vehicles...

For a similar discussion, but in REVERSE, SEARCH the archives for my reply to the fellow in Florida who WASN'T getting triggers from 98.6 degree humans walking in front of his 100+ degree house during the summer. ;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 03:57:30 PM »

I am not currently using any MS16A (eagle eye) motion sensors outside. But I do have several (hard-wired) motion sensors around the outside of the house. What changes most for my sensors this time of year, is the leafs fall off the trees.

I have one sensor particularly, that every fall (after the leafs fall) starts triggering when a car passes by, as the tree not longer blocks that sensors "view" of the road. I have lived with that occasional false trigger for five years.

I think tomorrow I'll tape off the area of that sensor that See's the road. Thanks TTA for mentioning blocking!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 04:02:01 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 05:12:55 PM »

Thanks TTA for mentioning blocking!

You're Very Welcome!

Dont worry folks! I'm only using this HUGE SMILIE a couple of times for the swell "Old-Timers" that I like to kid around with (and vica versa)! ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 08:41:50 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.