Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I can't control new light switches added  (Read 7978 times)

ttfd1126

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
I can't control new light switches added
« on: November 04, 2006, 02:59:19 PM »

I have just wired up a couple of new remote switches for my entry light and my porch lights, they are not three way.  I have the latest AHP and am controlling kitchen, living room and master bedroom lighting with both switches (3 way and normal) and lamp modules.  I can also control another set of outside lights using my remote and a 751.  These two new switches are set to house code L (Living room), same as a few other lights, etc.  which are all working fine.  I have installed and reinstalled the switches into AHP, nothing...  I have moved my CM to other outlets throughout the house...nothing.  I have just put a Smarthome SignaLinc (Phase Coupler) in a 220V dryer plug.  I don't have an electric dryer but I do have the wiring for it so this is where the coupler is installed.  The breaker for the 200V circuit in ON.  Additionally, I can use the switches to control the new lights normally...just the AHP won't work.  Help! 

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: I can't control new light switches added
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 06:27:05 PM »

Are the addresses of your remote switches the same as the lights you are trying to control?

If so, you may not have that Housecode set to Transceive in the CM15A.

If not, do you have a MACRO to turn on & off the lights you want?

ttfd1126

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 09:02:39 AM »

Sorry, I mispoke when I said "remote" switches.  I meant that I have WS467 switches that I am trying to manage remotely with my AHP software.  One switch is set to L3 and the other to L4.  I have configured two new WS467's in my "Living Room" and am simply trying to get them to turn on at this time.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »

I have configured two new WS467's in my "Living Room" and am simply trying to get them to turn on at this time.

How are you turning them on?

[edited by Puck: stupid brain... seen the word same in front of time in ttfd1126's statement... removed that part of my response.]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 02:09:57 PM by Puck »

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 01:56:25 PM »

...I have WS467 switches that I am trying to manage remotely with my AHP software.  One switch is set to L3 and the other to L4.  I have configured two new WS467's in my "Living Room" and am simply trying to get them to turn on at this time.

• MAP out all the circuit breakers in your home.
  • IDENTIFY the circuit with WS467s L3 and L4
  • Do you own a WIRED CONTROLLER? If so, use that instead of the TM751 in the next step.
  • TEMPORARILY move your TM751 to an outlet on THAT circuit and set it to HouseCode "L".
     - Do L3 and L4 work with your remote now?
       YES - troubleshoot for NOISE & SIGNAL SUCKERS on OTHER branches
       NO - possible WS467s are defective (but 2? unlikely, IMO)
  • If the TM751 experiment worked, TEMPORARILY move your CM15A to the SAME outlet the TM751 was in.
     - Do L3 and L4 work with your AHP now?

Without coming off mean and/or uncaring, ONLY *YOU* can properly troubleshoot YOUR problem in YOUR home - we can only guess.

Read my FAQ, my LINKs, the LINKs located INSIDE my LINKs and soon you'll have a good handle on how to work with X10.

Good Luck! :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 03:54:05 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

ttfd1126

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 05:13:57 PM »

I can only turn the lights on at the switch itself.  I have mapped out the circuit breakers and have some WS's on the same and some on the other circuit that are working with AHP.  I have a signal coupler installed as well in the dryer plug.  I am continuing to try to get these guys working.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 05:28:18 PM »

Could you possible have the Line & Load lines backwards on the WS467 switch?

In your switch box do you will see two sets of L/N/G wires, and the switch connecting the two black wires?
Visually, you can't tell which set is going to the light.

If they are swapped, the switch will still work manually (personal experience), but now the X-10 signal from a controller is entering the WS467 on the load line and may not be seen.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 05:40:18 PM »

Puck is correct that X10 signal won't work the switch if backwards. One thing to look for but its not a 100% for sure thing is...   Inside the switch box if you have a set of wires coming in at the bottom of the box and a set of wires coming in at the top, the top one most likely will go to the light. Not a guarantee. You can get one of those little 110V neon testers to test them to be sure which is hot and which is load.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 06:31:26 PM »

Could you possible have the Line & Load lines backwards on the WS467 switch?

In your switch box do you will see two sets of L/N/G wires, and the switch connecting the two black wires?
Visually, you can't tell which set is going to the light.

If they are swapped, the switch will still work manually (personal experience), but now the X-10 signal from a controller is entering the WS467 on the load line and may not be seen.

I'm trying to understand how the direction of the connection could make any difference.  This is a series connection of the light bulb and WS467,  and the X10 signal is a sequence of AC bursts.

I just purposely wired a WS467 "backwards" and it seems to be working as well with powerline signals that way as when wired in the "forward" direction.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 06:53:22 PM »

Could be that in a long switch loop run. A marginal signal would have to go all the way through the load to the switch and maybe lost. I have used them both ways and didn't seem to make a difference.
Now the three wire one that have a neutral [not a traveler for three way] it would make a big difference.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 07:31:54 PM »

Charles is right that the switch is in series, and because it's an AC circuit the switch will still work.

But as Brian stated the X-10 signal now has to talk a longer route thru the load to make it to the switch's controller.

When I first put one in a room, and wired it backwards, I could turn the light on remotely, but not off. After I found it was backwards and fixed it, it did work better.... but I still had problems.
Their was a PC on the same circuit that was generating a lot of noise. So with the noise, the extra travel and the higher resistance of the ON bulbs were all contributing to me not being able to turn it OFF remotely.

So how it reacts will depend on the existing line noise level, distance travelled and  bulb type & wattage.  ;)

ttfd1126

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 07:49:32 PM »

Ok, I wired one of the switches the opposite of what it was...no luck.  I thought that we would hit it on the head this time, darn it.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 07:55:09 PM »

I still don't see the results of the TM751 experiment or the answer to the WIRED CONTROLLER question.  ???
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 08:05:54 PM »

I just did a test with a spare switch and 50' of wire. Load wire on switch hooked to line. Heres what I came up with

Line voltage = 120 Volts  (118 measured)

100 watt bulb = 144 ohms = turned on and off with AHP (15 times)
60 watt bulb = 240 ohms = turned on and off OK (missed turning off once out of 15 times)
40 watt bulb = 360 ohms = turned on not off (did turn off 2 times out of 15)
25 watt bulb = 576 ohms = could not get it to turn on.

I would guess that if the PLC signal voltage was high enough that it would have worked more reliable.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

ttfd1126

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 08:48:58 PM »

Another trial; I moved my 751 to an outlet on the same circuit and nothing.  However, I tried something else that I thought was interesting...I programmed a new Eagle Eye (it's now dark outside).  I kept the 751 (code K) in the same outlet as before, set up a quick macro to activate an also new chime, plugged into another circuit and without fail, the macro worked, activating the chime when motion was detected.  I think I now know that the outlets and the 751 are working...but still no lights...Uggh!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.