Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AM486 with fluorescent  (Read 5836 times)

marineau

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
AM486 with fluorescent
« on: November 05, 2006, 10:49:18 PM »

I connected my Aquarium Fluorescent to my AM486, I operate this module with MiniController.
When I send OFF command to my AM486, I hear a Click, fluorescent turn OFF, and 5 seconds later, turn itself to ON !

If I disconnect a fluorescent from AM486, so:
When I send OFF command to my AM486, I hear a Click, module turn OFF and keep this status (run fine) !

If I connect an incadescent lamp to AM486, so:
When I send OFF command to my AM486, I hear a Click, module turn OFF and keep this status (run fine) !

Why my AM486 run fail with a fluorescent ?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: AM486 with fluorescent
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 11:04:33 PM »

marineau: this topic has come up a lot, there are many posts about the trickle current causing CFL problems and there is a mod to disable this.

Here is one of those links that should help you Flickering Fluorescent Light

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 11:07:02 PM »

I connected my Aquarium Fluorescent to my AM486, I operate this module with MiniController.
When I send OFF command to my AM486, I hear a Click, fluorescent turn OFF, and 5 seconds later, turn itself to ON !

...Why my AM486 run fail with a fluorescent ?

The Electrical Engineers here can explain the "nitty-gritty", but in Layman's Terms, the collapsing field in the fluorescent lamps ballast (something to do with 'Reverse EMF') triggers the "Local Control" sensing circuit on the X10 module.

SEARCH for the "Disable Local Control" fix and I think you'll be a Happy Camper once again. :)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 07:03:48 AM »

Yes sounds like the local control sensing circuit is turning it back on. There are mods to fix that; but to test if this is the problem. Try a regular type light like a small incandescent night light. In the output of the AM486 along with the problem light. A multioutlet adapter would work for the test.
If it is local control and I think it is as I have had the same problems. We can point you  to the fix. I did a few myself.

marineau

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:49:45 AM »

Yes sounds like the local control sensing circuit is turning it back on. There are mods to fix that; but to test if this is the problem. Try a regular type light like a small incandescent night light. In the output of the AM486 along with the problem light. A multioutlet adapter would work for the test.
If it is local control and I think it is as I have had the same problems. We can point you  to the fix. I did a few myself.
Today, This problem is resolved itself.. I don't understand ! So I can try today that you suggest me !
About a local control sensing circuit , Which is a its function ?
I read that I just to cut a diode ! But, that is what this will imply if I cut this Diode ?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 12:20:39 PM »

The lamp and appliance modules have a feature. If you want to turn ON the module with out sending an X10 signal. You turn the power switch on the lamp or appliance from On to Off and Back to On. The sensing circuit see the on off and turns on the module. This sensing circuit puts a small amount of current through the load at all times. This with some loads like fluorescent lights is enough to cause them to trigger the local sensing circuit and some lights to constantly flicker. The small light bulb is X10s official fix from all I have seen. Cutting the diode in the sensing circuit of the appliance module stops the current but not the local control in some situations. There is also a jumper that can also be cut.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.