Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lamp Modules Polarized?  (Read 8599 times)

rodskid

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lamp Modules Polarized?
« on: November 09, 2006, 10:40:46 AM »

I'm assuming "polarized" means one lug on the plug is wider than the other.  With that in mind, are the lamp modules polarized on the female side?  Most of the lights I'm trying to control have one lug larger than the other.  Don't want to have use appliance modules if I don't have to.

Do the light modules "snap" (relay click) off/on like the appliance modules?

Anyone have any idea what the power consumption of any of the modules is?  A portion of the lights I'm working with are low wattage.

Thanks for any insight!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Lamp Modules Polarized?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:08:16 AM »

I'm assuming "polarized" means one lug on the plug is wider than the other.  With that in mind, are the lamp modules polarized on the female side?  Most of the lights I'm trying to control have one lug larger than the other.  Don't want to have use appliance modules if I don't have to.

Yes.

Do the light modules "snap" (relay click) off/on like the appliance modules?

No.

Anyone have any idea what the power consumption of any of the modules is?  A portion of the lights I'm working with are low wattage.

There's a voltage drop across a LM465 lamp module of about 6 VAC when a connected 100 W lamp is turned fully On.
I presume your "low wattage" lights are strictly incandescent bulbs.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 12:07:18 PM »

Adding to Charles's information:
Module current consumption varies depending on the module (appliance, lamp, receptacle, universal, etc) but a good rule of thumb is between 2 and 5 watts, per module, when the load is in the OFF state.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

rodskid

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 12:37:30 PM »

Thanks guys.  It was a BIG help.  The wife just loves those little candlestick lights.  I get scolded for turning them off and forgetting to turn them back on by nightfall so to avoid the wrath I leave'em burn 24 hrs/day.  They don't draw much, but I'm hoping to extend their lives by using my new ActiveHome Pro.  I'll buy the cheaper lamp modules for them and use the appliance modules for some bigger things.

Wonder how many other guys go thru this with their wives?  Should we poll? I'm sure it's already been discussed here though.

Thanks again!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 12:50:49 PM »

Wonder how many other guys go thru this with their wives? 

(hand raised)

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:55:09 PM »

I seem to remember a 40 watt minimum light bulb for use on the lamp modules.  Isn't that correct? 

ArtClark

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 02:38:55 PM »

I have run 4 Watt Night Lights with no problem, though turning on a lamp module via the switch on the lamp using the
current sensing function might get tough below a watt or so.  Never had that trouble, but it may be possible.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 03:22:30 PM »

I seem to remember a 40 watt minimum light bulb for use on the lamp modules.  Isn't that correct?

Same as ArtClark, I have also been using a 4 watt night light with a lamp module with out problems.  ;D
_ _ ...  ..._ _

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 03:36:11 PM »

...The wife just loves those little candlestick lights.  I get scolded for turning them off and forgetting to turn them back on by nightfall so to avoid the wrath I leave'em burn 24 hrs/day.  They don't draw much, but I'm hoping to extend their lives by using my new ActiveHome Pro...

Alternate Idea:

• Get a dozen "thumbwheel" switches (the kind you find on hanging chain lamps), along with a dozen 1N400X (where 'X' > 2; 200V Peak Repetitive Reverse Voltage or higher. Thanks Puck! ;) ) 1 Amp diodes.
  • Install the switch inline with each candlestick light per included instructions (cutting one wire) *BUT* solder the 1N4001 across the opened wire switch contacts.
  • Result:
     - Thumbwheel Switch ON: Light burns as normal
     - Thumbwheel Switch OFF: Light burns at 50% duty cycle and *LASTS* FOREVER!!!  ;D

A *LONG* time ago (before most of the current X10 employees were even born :o ), before the days of CFLs, I used this "trick" on several 25 Watt and 40 Watt incandescent lamps that we keep on daily from dusk until bedtime. Now I have 9 Watt CFLs (equivalent to 25 Watt incandescent, IIRC).

*MUCH* cheaper than buying lamp modules *AND* even if you leave them on all day at 50% duty cycle, probably *LESS* power than a Lamp Module "idling" on OFF all day... ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 06:44:34 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 03:56:46 PM »

No, that's only for the wall switch modules like WS467.   The WS467 has only two wires and its logic circuitry is powered by the current passing through the bulb.  The plug-in lamp modules (and wall switches requiring a neutral connection) always have full power from the AC line available for their logic circuitry.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 07:19:37 PM »

I get scolded for turning them off and forgetting to turn them back on by nightfall .............. I'm hoping to extend their lives by using my new ActiveHome Pro. 

Wonder how many other guys go thru this with their wives?  Should we poll? I'm sure it's already been discussed here though.

My wife loves those low voltage landscape lights. So of course, I have several. They have a transformer with a clock wheel timer-thingy. But as much as I tried, I could never keep them coming on at dusk and off at sunrise... because those times keep changing.

BX (Before X10) I had hardwired a light sensor on the back of the house, to an outlet in the basement (where the transformer is).

Now I could use one of several X10 items to control "night-lights". The X10 floodlight, the sundowner, eagle eye, active eye, etc.

But I don't think I would ever go back to a clock based "timer" again.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 10:07:13 PM by TakeTheActive »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 08:18:50 PM »

Now I could use one of several X10 items to control "night-lights". The X10 floodlight, SunDowner, eagle eye, active eye, etc.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 10:08:19 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 08:33:19 PM »

Oh good to see the Sundowner  is back. For awhile it was listed as out of stock and some where asking if it would ever be back.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 12:28:35 PM »

[Alternate Idea:

• Get a dozen "thumbwheel" switches (the kind you find on hanging chain lamps), along with a dozen 1N400X (where 'X' > 2; 200V Peak Repetitive Reverse Voltage or higher. Thanks Puck! ;) ) 1 Amp diodes.
Hey TTA you remeber back in the 'ole" days you could solder a diode acroos the ON-OFF Vol switch of AC-DC TVs and radios and have "Instant On". The Old Days......

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 01:37:22 PM »

...1 Amp diodes....
Do you remember the little button shaped devises that had a diode in them? They were made just the right size to fit in a lamp socket.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.