Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can I use one remote chime with multiple motion sensors?  (Read 6094 times)

noob

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can I use one remote chime with multiple motion sensors?
« on: June 06, 2007, 04:13:17 PM »

Hello X10 gurus,

I am totally new to X-10, and have tried searching for this answer, reading the remote chime manual online, and calling the 800 number and have no dice, so I thank any responses in advance.

I am researching to see if these units would meet my needs and haven't bought anything yet.  I would like to install 3 motion sensors in my home.  I have 2 bathrooms and my master bedroom that I would like to monitor, and have it chime every time my cat walks past it.  (for those curious, I am toilet training my cat and would like to be alerted when she is thinking about doing her business so I can make sure it goes in the toilet and not on the floor or in the middle of my bed.)

What I would like to know, is...
1 - Will I need one remote chime per motion sensor or can I use one remote chime to receive signals from all 3 motion sensors?
2 - Can the remote chime sound different if it comes from a different motion sensor?  If not, is there another vendor that makes one?
3 - What is the range of signal that can be received?  Ie, how many feet apart is max?

I am also toying with putting night time cameras in the bathrooms for when I am not home as well but at this point I want to see if X10 can do what I want it to.

Thanks,
Barbara

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Can I use one remote chime with multiple motion sensors?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 04:27:19 PM »

1: Not necessary with a limit. All will have to be on the same address like B1. Any module will react if on the same address. So a Lamp Module on B1 would also go on.
Having more than one on the same address may add to setup quirks. More than one address may help keep things orderly.

2: I have never seen different chime sounds in any brand.

Few things. You will need a RF Tranceiver to take the Motion Sensors signal and send it over the power line to the chime modules.TM751 and RR501 are two of X10s.
Most Motion Sensors have a Dusk/Dawn feature. Basically the code motion uses +1; B2 in my case. Sends a B2 On at Dusk and a B2 Off at Dawn. So picking addresses has to take that in to consideration.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 04:57:59 PM »

Hello X10 gurus,

I am totally new to X-10, and have tried searching for this answer, reading the remote chime manual online, and calling the 800 number and have no dice, so I thank any responses in advance.

I am researching to see if these units would meet my needs and haven't bought anything yet.  I would like to install 3 motion sensors in my home.  I have 2 bathrooms and my master bedroom that I would like to monitor, and have it chime every time my cat walks past it.  (for those curious, I am toilet training my cat and would like to be alerted when she is thinking about doing her business so I can make sure it goes in the toilet and not on the floor or in the middle of my bed.)

What I would like to know, is...
1 - Will I need one remote chime per motion sensor or can I use one remote chime to receive signals from all 3 motion sensors?

In addition to the motion sensors and chime, you'll also need a transceiver like a TM751 or RR501.

If you set all the motion sensors to the same address as the chime, then you'll need only one chime.

2 - Can the remote chime sound different if it comes from a different motion sensor?  If not, is there another vendor that makes one?

No.  The chimes make only one sound.  I believe it's possible to modify a chime to speed up or slow down the chime sound, but it's a hardware modification.  An X-10 UM506 Universal Module can also be used as a sounder, but it's much louder than a chime.  (And that would still only give you two different sounds.) 

A better solution is probably with an X-10 computer interface and appropriate software to have the signals from the three motion detectors play different sounds via your PC's speakers.   One of the gurus on this forum who is more familiar than I with software for MS-Windows can probably suggest the appropriate software.

3 - What is the range of signal that can be received?  Ie, how many feet apart is max?

The distance from the motion detectors to the transceiver is what's important.  It will depend a lot on the number and type of wall and floors the RF signal has to traverse to get to the transceiver.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:59:13 PM »

(for those curious, I am toilet training my cat and would like to be alerted when she is thinking about doing her business so I can make sure it goes in the toilet and not on the floor or in the middle of my bed.)

Barbara: We have always had cats, who have their own cat door to the outside, and we also have I/R motion sensors both inside and outside  We rarely get false triggers from them and when we have I haven't been able to trace them to one of the cats walking by.  Before you spend a lot of money I'd suggest that you initially experiment with a single X10 I/R motion sensor placed low, near the floor, to see if it will reliably sense the cat walking by.  Good luck and let us know what you find out from your tests.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 05:00:44 PM by Oldtimer »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 05:03:57 PM »

...I am totally new to X-10, and have tried searching for this answer...

What I would like to know, is... :

• 1.) Will I need one remote chime per motion sensor or can I use one remote chime to receive signals from all 3 motion sensors?

• 2.) Can the remote chime sound different if it comes from a different motion sensor?  If not, is there another vendor that makes one?

• 3.) What is the range of signal that can be received?  Ie, how many feet apart is max?

• 4.) am also toying with putting night time cameras in the bathrooms for when I am not home as well but at this point I want to see if X10 can do what I want it to.
[/size]

COMPLETELY DO-ABLE with X10, but NOT "Out-of-the-box" / "Plug-N-Play". ;)

• What's your budget for this project?

• What's your technical ability level?

• Do you have a PC or a MAC?

• Do you have any programming / logic experience?

• Do you have the desire and time to LEARN whatever necessary skills you currently don't possess?

Your answers to the above questions will determine how much DETAIL I'll need to go into describing the implementation.

BTW, at a minimum, you'll need a CM11A or CM15A and a computer to create and upload the programming into the X10 controller.

Will be LOADS of fun! Especially if Dave_x10_L chimes in ( :D get it? ;D ) and helps you get BXVC to ANNOUNCE through speakers WHAT KITTY IS DOING! :o
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 01:59:41 AM »

TTA:

Thanks for the "plug"!   ;D
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 04:49:55 AM »

TTA:

Thanks for the "plug"!   ;D

Geez. I didn't notice any increment in my Helpful Count?!? ??? :o ::) :P ;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 03:27:37 PM »

noob
As TakeTheActive stated:
COMPLETELY DO-ABLE with X10, but NOT "Out-of-the-box" / "Plug-N-Play". ;)
The answer to his questions will help others give you a very detailed description of a setup!
How reliable you want it to perform will also determine to what is recommended.
Since your toying with the idea of including cams in your set up I'd recommend  the ActiveHome Pro kit but a USB Firecracker kit would also work! ;) both kits include a PC interface.
Both come with software as well other freeware software is available on the net!
One thing to note: The sensors work by detecting heat differences so if the area where you plan to mount the sensors is fairly warm ( or in direct sunlight) they may don't detect your cat all the time! :D
In any case as Oldtimer stated:
I'd suggest that you initially experiment with a single X10 I/R motion sensor placed low, near the floor, to see if it will reliably sense the cat walking by.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.