Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Searching for forgotten old modules  (Read 3091 times)

ekb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Searching for forgotten old modules
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:10:43 PM »

Does anyone know a source for buying the old-style lamp modules that would actually dim smoothly when using the dimmer controls on the remote and instantly turn on and off with the on and off buttons (in keeping with the meaning of the words on and off.)

The current ones, of course, only dim in stages (sometimes) except when you turn them on or off, in which case they glide slowly all the way on or all the way off with no way to stop the dimming at any point between the two extremes. Seems to me like X10 was hoping to save money on the remotes at some time by eliminating the dim controls and only having an on and off button.

Anyway, the new modules, whatever their merits or lack thereof, are totally incompatible with the old ones (as I expensively found out) since they respond to the remote control commands differently.

To make things even harder for the end user, an X10 specialty since its infancy, tech support informs me that both series of modules have the exact same model number -LM465 - making it almost impossible to scout out surplus old ones in places like eBay. If anyone knows of, or has some, of the original LM465s they'd like to sell, please drop me a line at ekb.creative@gmail.com.

Thank you.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Searching for forgotten old modules
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:58:39 AM »

Is this a recent change? I wonder why X10 would make such a change since it really couldn't be a "cost savings".
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

ekb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 06:38:40 PM »

Strange you should ask, the service rep I spoke to at X10 was supposed to email the info on when the change took place so I try to find some pre-redesign modules, but he never did.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:42:38 PM »

The current ones, of course, only dim in stages (sometimes) except when you turn them on or off, in which case they glide slowly all the way on or all the way off with no way to stop the dimming at any point between the two extremes.

Are you writing about normal lamp modules, right?  Not the 2-way modules that have that "theater lighting" effect with a "soft" on and off?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 04:51:17 PM »

I would be surprised if the LM465 were modified in this way. It hasn't changed in something like 20 years, so why change it now? Also, I think making it ramp up and down is more expensive, not less -- it's not normal for X10 to increase their costs if they make a change to a product.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.