Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DS7000 - 4 continuous beeps  (Read 10670 times)

doughayman

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
DS7000 - 4 continuous beeps
« on: November 19, 2006, 07:25:54 PM »

Hi all,

Had 2 incidents of this happening today.  My DS7000 is in RUN1 mode, and is un-armed.  For some unknown reason,
the console beeps 4 times in succession for no apparent reason - i.e., I didn't open any of the Zones at the time of the
beeping.  After the beeps happens, I looked on the console, and none of the zones were open on the console - everything
was clear.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this might happen, and what it implies ?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: DS7000 - 4 continuous beeps
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 07:29:24 PM »

Just to be sure about something... do you have more than 8 zones? and if so, did you press and hold the bypass button to see if one of the 9 to 16 zones were lit?

doughayman

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 07:32:52 PM »

Hi Puck, thanks for the quick comeback.  Yes, I have about 12 zones, and I did hold down bypass button and all the zones were clear.

To add further issue to the above, I just HOME ALARMED.  About 5 minutes later, my console beeped twice, DISARMED by itself (i.e., the armed
red light on the console went off, and then it beeped twice again.  After this happened, all zones were clear once again.  I just reset the alarm
again.

Shortly after HOME ALARMING again, my console now beeped twice, and the alarm was no longer set.  Again, none of my 12 zones were open, according
to the console

My alarm console is centrally located in my house, for what it's worth, and all batteries are less than 1 month old.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:40:34 PM by doughayman »

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 07:45:27 PM »

To add further issue to the above, I just HOME ALARMED.  About 5 minutes later, my console beeped twice, DISARMED by itself (i.e., the armed
red light on the console went off, and then it beeped twice again.  After this happened, all zones were clear once again.  I just reset the alarm again.

If you are using OnAlert, there could be something from there causing the problem.  ???

If not, then from what you just stated, something sounds FUBAR in the base. The 4 beeps (from what I experienced) only come from a sensor that didn't check in. But the base should not Disarm itself. (You don't have a security remote with a stuck button by any chance?)

I think the best thing to try is do the full reset (unplug AC / temporarily remove 9V battery) and reprogram your system.

doughayman

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 07:50:55 PM »

Puck,

I hate have to reinstall the entire system, every time there is a problem.  That is one thing I HATE about this system.

I have no idea what ONAlert is.  Is that another type of X10 system ?

No stuck buttons, but interesting thought.

One last thing - and this may be stupid, but my wife is baking, and this problem last manifested when she had the
oven door open.  She/I aren't sure if the same was true with the other 2 occurrences of this problem.  The oven is
about 6-7 feet from the console.  Could heat be causing this problem perhaps ???

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 07:57:31 PM »

Is the oven gas or electric? I have heard of some newer electric stoves putting noise out on the line. I know that will mess up normal X10 but not sure it would do anything to the alarm system, unless it emits some RF for some reason. (Just a stab in the dark)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:59:13 PM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 08:08:06 PM »

I hate have to reinstall the entire system, every time there is a problem.  That is one thing I HATE about this system.

This is definitely the biggest downfall of the DS7000.

Maybe put the base in Run2 Mode and go press the test button on all the sensors to see if the base beeps. I do recall this once cleared a problem with my door sensor I use on my garage door when it failed to check in once. If you do find one that doesn't beep, hold the test button down for 10 seconds... release then press it once. If you still don't hear the base beep, you will need to reprogram.

Even if all the sensors work, just having it disarm itself would make me want to reset it.

I have no idea what ONAlert is.  Is that another type of X10 system ?

This is a new software add on to ActiveHomePro to interface with the DS7000 system.

One last thing - and this may be stupid, but my wife is baking, and this problem last manifested when she had the
oven door open.  She/I aren't sure if the same was true with the other 2 occurrences of this problem.  The oven is
about 6-7 feet from the console.  Could heat be causing this problem perhaps ???

No, the heat wouldn't cause it... not unless the sensor is getting hotter than 300 degrees F  ;)  :D
The metal of the door could get in the path of a sensor if left open, but thats a long shot.

doughayman

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 08:28:52 PM »

OK guys, thanks for your input.  I have to say that since the oven (electric) was turned off, there hasn't been a problem.  Perhaps a combination
of heat/RF, as you both suggest.  The oven is less than 1 year old, by the way.

I'm going to hang out and see if the problem manifests again, before going through the re-programming exercise, which I don't enjoy.  I have cleared out a non-reporting zone issue before with the RUN2->Test scenario as you described above.

Thanks for all of your VERY PROMPT feedback !!

Regards,

Doug
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 08:31:54 PM by doughayman »

doughayman

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 08:33:50 AM »

The oven is off, and the alarm functioned normally all night.  I guess it was either the heat or the emitting RF frequency, guys.  Why it beeped 4 times, and disarmed the alarm ????

Thanks for all of your help  :D

ka0wph

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 10:42:36 AM »

I have the same problem, except mine is beeping 5 times.  I guess I'll reset console and see what happens.  Weird that it occurred about the same time frame as yours.  :-\

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 11:09:05 AM »

Weird that it occurred about the same time frame as yours.  :-

WOW... what an oven!!!  :D ;D

ka0wph: Let us know if reprogramming the console works or not.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 11:19:21 AM »

Maybe its a Megowave oven instead of a microwave oven. They operate on 310Mhz.

I would think that its not a RF problem but some kind of noise issue with the oven. I can not come up with anything as to why it would put out any form of RF.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 11:39:26 AM »

I would think that its not a RF problem but some kind of noise issue with the oven. I can not come up with anything as to why it would put out any form of RF.

It would definitely be an "Unintentional Radiator". But if it has electronics and a clock, it will have radiated & conducted emissions (EMI).

Unfortunately, FCC does not currently require electronic products to be tested for "Interference Susceptibility" (As does CE).

One could look up the FCC number on a product (on the FCC's website) and see if they have the emission levels / frequency charts accessible, to see if there are any peaks in the 310MHz range;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 02:22:07 PM by Puck »

Vandalized Victim

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 11:02:43 AM »

I have 7 zones, most of the time it dings two dings when I unarm it. But some times it did beep 4 dings and this morning, 6 dings. When I checked with the console, no other lights were on except the power light. With ocassional 4 dings happened in the past, I think 6 dings or even 8 dings might happen too  ;D

VV 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.