Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 8739 times)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Windows Vista
« on: November 22, 2006, 04:49:08 AM »

With Windows Vista due to hit the market soon and reading in a few places that X10 has been focused on getting AHP Vista certified I think this could be a golden opportunity for X10 to come out with a new controller. X10 could make a new controller to fix some of the short comings of the CM15A. Improved RF send and receive, an uploadable Firmware feature for future upgrades, more memory and reliability. They could introduce it with the new Vista certified AHP and market it saying it will work with your old CM15A but for maximum benefits you need to purchase a new controller. If I wanted to replace the CM15A with a better unit this is how I would do it so as not to make current CM15A owners to mad.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 03:12:25 AM »

I'm a bit mad anyway!

I purchased AHP with the CM15A when that's all you got for $50 or so.  Later bought "Smart Macros" for another $50 or so.

If  I had dragged my heels for a while... Now you can get the whole package.. AHP, Smart Macros, IWitness, myHouse, (did I miss anything?) all for the same $50 I spent on AHP and the CM15A alone!

This reminds me of the cell phone commercials...  "You get the 8 crayon box, but since Jimmy is new, he gets the 64 crayon box."

IMHO, BS!

How about REWARDING your early supporters instead of EXPLOITING them!!!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 10:19:09 AM »

Agreed!!!!

Ever notice on the Active Home Pro site, there are two offers for AHP. One is $49 and the other is $99. The $99 one gives you the CM15, AHP and a bunch of modules, which you either don't need or alredy own.

The real Vista problem is for the CM15 users who upgrade their computers. They need a Vista driver, or they wind up with the CM11A problem all over again. Windows can't find the interface.  Just what happened to a bunch of users (myself included) who were running AH and upgraded to XP.   :(
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

ElsieB

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 05:12:02 PM »

The real Vista problem is for the CM15 users who upgrade their computers. They need a Vista driver,

Vista driver ???? Is there any such thing??? Where can I get it??? Obviously I need it...

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 05:20:30 PM »

AHP and the CM15A work fine under Vista, several people have updated to Vista with ZERO problems.   The Vista problems affect only those who have a certain plug-in.

Racer

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 05:02:16 PM »

Why so cryptic Dan?  If you know the issue, why keep it to yourself?  I'm looking for some answers and all I have found is vague references to a solution somewhere in the site...

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:20:15 PM »

I'm, not being cryptic  and you replied to a two year old post.  The biggest Vista problem is the CM11A, which has no Vista drivers.  Do a search for Vista problems here, you should get pointed to the posts about it.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:26:03 AM »

Haven't heard of Vista problems with CM15A (using it myself).
Have heard of and do have problems with VA11A and Vista.  However, there's a new VA11A that works with Vista  (you can swap yours for $10), and there's a VA12A coming (x10 couldn't explain the difference between 11 & 12).

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:44 AM »

...there's a VA12A coming (x10 couldn't explain the difference between 11 & 12).
The VA12A has an additional RCA connector that I'm guessing is intended for audio. No idea if there is any software to support audio, however.
Also the video resolution of the VA12A is substantially better than the VA11A!
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 05:33:13 AM »

Have you actually seen it?
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 11:57:06 AM »

Have you actually seen it?
I have it and am using it now. (I received an early release one a little while back.)

Note: The latest ad copy shows the VA12A with one RCA connector. My unlabeled pre-release has two RCA connectors so either the ad copy is wrong are the 2nd connector has been eliminated in the one they're selling.
Bottom line: I was told that what I have is a VA12A and it does have substantially better video than my VA11A.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:23:32 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

billfern

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 10:01:33 PM »

Totally different Way to connect Camera to computer without X10 software

Editted by Puck: No need to repeat the same post 6 times; please do so once and post a link to the original.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 08:56:38 PM by Puck »

ElsieB

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 10:39:25 PM »

AHP and the CM15A work fine under Vista, several people have updated to Vista with ZERO problems.   The Vista problems affect only those who have a certain plug-in.

Ok Dan, I have Vista. I have CM15A. I HAVE PROBLEMS. What is the "Certain plug-in" that is causing me the problems??? Why can't you just be helpful here???

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 11:26:47 PM »

I'm not a mind reader.  2 friends of mine are running AHP (no plug-ins) on PC's with Vista with zero problems.  What version of AHP and what plug-ins do you have?

ElsieB

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 11:47:19 PM »

I have 3.0.0.228 and I have paid for all the plugins available, and installed. I'm guessing you are suggesting that I remove one plugin at a time until the problem goes away? Usually, (BTW it doesn't matter if it's Vista or XP) when I update the interface (I now have 3 CM15As - it doesn't matter which one I use), the whole program locks up. My brother has said there is an update to the program, but when I click update, it says I already have the newest version.

I've pretty much given up since Sept 2008 - thought I'd give it another chance... anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.