Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slimline and RF Repeater Range  (Read 11335 times)

darthvuder

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Slimline and RF Repeater Range
« on: November 08, 2006, 11:28:42 PM »

I just bought an x10 pro kit with slimline gold plates. It also came with an rf repeater sr731. A few questions if any one knows

1) My slimline works if you are 3-4 feet away from the transciever and only works sometimes and only if you press the button for 2 seconds or so. Very variable between the 3 that they gave me. Is this normal?

2) The rf repeater works great with the palmpad remote (but the palmpad remote is pretty strong so didn't need the rf repeater anyway) but with the slimline golds the lights won't even blink on the repeater, which indicates to me that it is not getting the signal. I tested it with all the slimlines about 2 inches from the repeater. Anyone have any ideas?

Checked hardware configuration and it is set to transcieve the house code.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Collin

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: Slimline and RF Repeater Range
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 05:11:08 AM »

Checking the batteries in all of them first. I ordered 5 of them and 4 of them had dead batteries and one had a weak battery that lit the LED and that was it. I would at least start with this then let us know.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

darthvuder

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 07:59:40 PM »

what range are you getting with new batteries?

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 08:15:27 PM »

I am getting 20 feet or so. The antenna is on the main floor and I have switches in the basement and 2nd floor. I don't use the CM15A for my receiver though. I have a V572AB that handles all my RF and puts the signal on the power line.

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 09:27:11 AM »

"I am getting 20 feet or so. ........I don't use the CM15A ...."

Giggle.

What if you put new batteries in the CM15a?

GLT

P.S. W800 here... And BTW the SR 731 is the worst piece of X10 equipment I have ever purchased, followed very closely by the CM15a (a recent version). Have an RMA for both, and both will go back. Old CM11A happily running the house w/ an OLD version (1.744) of Homeseer.

darthvuder

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 01:30:23 PM »

I will try new batteries but I know that my slimline will work if close enought to the command module. My question is why does it not work when it is one inch away from the rf repeater. I know the RF repeater works because you can test it. My palmpad remote will activate the lights on the rf repeater so I know it is passing those signals on. The slimlines won't do it no matter how close the repeater is. Does this mean the slimlines do not work on the same frequencies or something?Thanks

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 05:18:53 PM »

I will try new batteries but I know that my slimline will work if close enought to the command module. My question is why does it not work when it is one inch away from the rf repeater. I know the RF repeater works because you can test it. My palmpad remote will activate the lights on the rf repeater so I know it is passing those signals on. The slimlines won't do it no matter how close the repeater is. Does this mean the slimlines do not work on the same frequencies or something?Thanks

It's got to have something to do with tuning or timing.  I have some SS13A Slimlines which flash the LEDs on the SR731 and others which don't, regardless of distance.  Yet all transmit RF which is transceived properly (without the SR731 in the picture) by a CM15A or a TM751.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 10:46:09 PM »

The higher you can put the SR731 the better it will work.   I've also notice certain remotes/transmitter (KR19A included) does not cause the SR731 to flash after a certain distance, even though it works correctly (when testing in the expanded range area).   I can't find any reference to the blinking thing in the manual, but it would make logical sense for it to flash when it resends something, but who really knows...  really... who really knows... please respond  ???

I'm pretty certain that it's working because without it the my wimpy KR19a signal never makes it from my mailbox.   Maybe it's a placebo effect and it really isn't doing anything.   :-

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 06:58:41 AM »

I know it works just not sure how well? I have a ninja that without the SR731 I can't control from the CM15A at all. The light does not flash when sending the RF for the Ninja.

ronald hirsch

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 08:14:15 AM »

In my experiences, the slimline switches aren't worth bothering with. Fortunately, the bunch that I have were all part of "freebie" add-ons. They are quirky and unreliable. And I've also had several that came with dead batteries.

Ron Hirsch

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 08:59:05 AM »

I use 4 of the slimlines and all are working 100% at the moment. I had gotten one from Radio Shack that went bad after about 5 weeks. (started sending out random House/Unit codes) So I tossed it and installed X10 unit. Time will tell how they hold up.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.