Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: switching lamp modules  (Read 3218 times)

billq

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
switching lamp modules
« on: December 23, 2006, 01:18:20 PM »

Hello,  I just installed activehome pro with a couple of lamp modules.  Switching the lamps on and off is no problem.  It seems that when I leave a lamp on for a while, the dimming meter on the software and the lights will change all by itself.  I also notice that when I turn a switch off that is lighting the Christmas tree the lights do not turn all the way off although the software is telling me the lights are off.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this problem.
thanks
bill

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: switching lamp modules
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 01:26:49 PM »

Lamp and Appliance Modules have a circuit in them to detect Local Control. Basically if the module is off and you turn the switch of the controlled lights off then back on. The module will turn back on. If the Christmas tree lights are LED type, they may not load the circuit enough to go all the way off. Simple test is to use a 7 watt night light with a power tap so both the Christmas Lights and the night light are on the same modules output. If they no longer glow when the module is off. The Local Sensing circuit is the culprit. Easiest is to just leave the night light in the mix, but there are hacks to remove the current.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 01:32:09 PM »

I just installed activehome pro with a couple of lamp modules

In addition to what Brian stated, if your Christmas lights are LED, you should be using an Appliance Module... Lamp Modules are triac driven and designed for incandescent lights only.

billq

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 01:36:36 PM »

thanks Brian,
the Chistmas tree lights are led type.  I will try the 7watt night light.
The other switch controls a lamp with a 3 way bulb.  This is the one that will change voltage and dim by itself if allowed to sit long enough.  The light dims and the meter on the software registers the dimming.  Problem is I don't want it to dim.
thanks
bill

hostilejava

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • HostileJava
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 07:17:55 PM »

Sounds like you might have some noise or one of your neighbors is using x10 to.  Hit F2 in the AHP software to examine the Activity Monitor when you notice this happening to see if the CM15a is picking up any commands on the power line or RF.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.