Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How Many Lights Can You Put on One Lamp Module?  (Read 5318 times)

donutlou

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How Many Lights Can You Put on One Lamp Module?
« on: November 18, 2006, 11:18:19 AM »

how many lights can you put on one lamp module? if it says its rated to 300 watts then can you put 3 100 watt lamps on it? i have a combination of lamps that toal about 170 watts and the module just stopped working, did i burn it out?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: How Many Lights Can You Put on One Lamp Module?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 11:39:32 AM »

how many lights can you put on one lamp module? if it says its rated to 300 watts then can you put 3 100 watt lamps on it?

It is rated for that, so it is designed to handle that load.
However, as a reliability analyst, for longer life and less probability of failure... Derate

i have a combination of lamps that toal about 170 watts and the module just stopped working, did i burn it out?

If your lights are all incandescent, then 170 Watts of them should not have caused the module to stop working.

Did you unplug the module and try it again? Maybe with a single bulb, to see if it works?

P.S. Please state the part number of the lamp module. It helps to make sure we are talking about the same thing and it helps others when searching for info on a certain module.  ;) Thanks.   :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 04:18:10 PM »

Try the unplugging it and one bulb. By default X10 dimming modules syay Off at power application. Except maybe the LM14A two way one. What is the model of the module and are the bulbs standard ones?

FromDimension12

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 08:19:32 PM »

Generally speaking, modules are conservatively rated to handle the indicated maximum load. In practice, actual loads will usually fall below the rated maximum. However, I would not be reluctant to use appliance and lamp modules at their rated maximum load levels.

Now and then, a module may fail. In that event, discard the module and press on. If you have the necessary skills and spare parts, you could attempt to repair failed modules. Do this mainly for the fun of it and the learning experience.

Advice From Beyond
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:12:36 PM by FromDimension12 »

ArtClark

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 02:34:46 AM »

Just to throw in the problem I have had (6 Times).  If an incandescent bulb is "Banged" hard enough to short out the leads inside the bulb, the internal fuse in the bulb blows, preventing a major short.  Unfortunately, the surge of current at the moment the actual "Short" occurs IS enough to fry a lamp module.  Heat sinking will not help this.  I have replaced the triac in a couple of modules with a higher surge-rated part, but then blew one of those on a 150 Watt flood when I dropped that.  (My bad.)

I haven't actually tried a Fast-acting fuse, but I wonder if even that would be fast enough to beat the internal triac fry?

I'm only even mentioning this because I have blown so many this way, and it isn't X-10's fault in any way.  The rating of the module really doesn't help in this situation either, though as was said above, for reliability, derate.

Note to Tech Types:  Increasing the inductance of the coil in the module had no effect on how easy it was to blow out????   Could this mean the parts were just that sensitive to surge loads.  (I must admitt, these specific modules are OLD compared to what most people would have now.  (Purchased in early 80's)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 06:39:51 AM »

I may look inside a Black and Decker FWLR Lamp Module as it has a fuse in it and was an OEM from X10.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 12:29:27 PM »

ArtClark
FWIW
The lamp module or wall switch triac is destroyed by the inductive kick ( surge, spike, etc) created when the filament "snaps" open during a burnout. A long time ago I read that X10 lamp modules, wall switch, have better luck surviving a Phillips brand bulb burnout because Phillips use a long, filament with multiple support wires. A burnout does not create as high of an inductive spike. I have had lamp mudules survive a Phillips bulb burn out, but it could have been sheer "luck".

For a lamp module, you can also try a single plug/outlet surge supressor between the module and the light. In theory the MOV will clamp the burnout spike at 600 volts which the triac should be able to survive. There is not much you can do to protect a wall switch, other than try the Phillips bulbs.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 12:43:45 PM »

...If you have the necessary skills and spare parts, you could attempt to repair failed modules. Do this mainly for the fun of it and the learning experience...
Yeah... Don't plan on saving any money when dissecting modules as a hobby at least not with the first one or two.  ;)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 12:53:58 PM »

Boy ain't that the truth!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.