Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multiple dim modules all at one time hangs X-10  (Read 11868 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: Multiple dim modules all at one time hangs X-10
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 10:00:51 PM »

LM14A is the only lamp X10 module [other brands maybe different] that is two-way and can report back its status if requested or programmed to report changes.

I don't understand where LM14A came from?  ???

Do you have a phase repeater in the mix? Some get flaky with dims.

Good question - that was one of my first thoughts... :)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 10:16:48 PM »

...There isn't a problem turning them on or off, but if I attempt to adust the dimming, it causes the AHP program to hang.  Any thoughts?

Multiple DIMs problems usually point to an "impolite" Transceiver "fighting with" a Coupler/Repeater, but you say you don't have a Coupler/Repeater.

Do you have any Transceivers?

Please answer the questions in THIS post:

[INPUT REQUESTED] X10 Troubleshooting Questionaire...

in THIS (i.e. YOUR) post.

I'd be curious to see if you tried to DIM your Christmas lights with *ANY* Wired Transceiver, *OR* *ANY* RF Transmitter to a RR501/TM751 (*WITH* the CM15A UNPLUGGED!), what would happen?
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Cubbyd

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 02:20:40 PM »

I believe I have solved the problem, but it is something you might want to store away for other such issues, or maybe it is a "Duh? why didn't you tell us!
In any case.  Normally, in  the "front room" I have a window lamp on F6 circuit and a lamp module in that room in AHP to control it.  When I put candles in the windows, I unplug the lamp, plug in a candle and leave it set at F6.  I set all the other candles on F6. 

Here is what seems to be causing the problem:  I then set up a new module in my "Outside Lights" room, called Candles, also set to F6. So, there doesn't seem to be a problem with Off and On, but dimming the "Candles" module in AHP causes a conflict with the Front room module set for 100%.

Thanks for the help, and in any case, got the problem solved.  Changing the front room module to F7 allows the Outside Lights modules set to F6 to be dimmed without a problem.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 02:38:40 PM »

Good find Cubbyd.   :)

Will have to do some tests on that scenario.
AHP will allow multiple occurrences of the same House / Unit Code, but sounds like it can't handle a manual dimming to them.  ;)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 12:57:35 PM »

This is interesting, essentially you were  driving with the accelerator floored and the brakes on.

What is interesting is that AHP could not handle the manual dimming...you weren't, via macros, holding the living room F6 at 100% and also in another macro, dimming the outside candles F6 were you?...AHP should have simply not accepted the conflictiong macro rather than locking up.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Cubbyd

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 10:25:38 AM »

No macros were involved.  At this time, I haven't set up any macros. 

All controlled items are simply via various AHP modules, set up within various "rooms".

I agree, it seems odd in that if I am attempting to do something maually, that something in another room, that isn't "open" can impact it.  The conflicting module, which was also set to F6, has a timer on it, but the timer was disabled.

I know I am stretching this, but maybe you can give me a quick answer on another topic.   If I set up a timer, and save it, but don't down load it to the interface, it doesn't seem to impact or control anything.  The module within AHP exhibits control over the specific item, in and on/off/dim sense, but the timer doesn't control anything.  From reading the AHP directions, it seems to imply that if it is set up in AHP, saved, and AHP is open and active, then it should work.  If I save it to the interface, then the timer will control the item.  Is that normal?

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 01:40:12 AM »

I know I am stretching this, but maybe you can give me a quick answer on another topic.   If I set up a timer, and save it, but don't down load it to the interface, it doesn't seem to impact or control anything.  The module within AHP exhibits control over the specific item, in and on/off/dim sense, but the timer doesn't control anything.  From reading the AHP directions, it seems to imply that if it is set up in AHP, saved, and AHP is open and active, then it should work.  If I save it to the interface, then the timer will control the item.  Is that normal?

There's a radio button at the bottom of the screen with options "Download to interface" or "Run from PC".  Which one is depressed for your timers?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Cubbyd

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 01:49:34 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but I am not sure what radio buttons you are referring to. 

If I change a timer event, and have not saved it to the interface, two buttons appear in the lower righthand corner. 

One looks like a floppy and if you hover over it, it says "Changes not saved".  When I click on it, it goes away and the changes are saved to disk, but not the interface.
The other button looks like two circulating arrows, and when you hover over it, it says "Changes have not been stored in the interface, ......" and if you click on it, it goes thru the storing procedure, then dissapears.
But, I don't see one that refers to run from interface or run from pc except when setting up a timer, it gives me the option of a check box to "store in interface".

Cubbyd

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 02:33:31 AM »

Found the radio buttons your are referring to in the Macro window.  I am not using any macros.  Just timed modules.  I assume if I am not using macros, then which button is selected is immaterial.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 10:29:58 AM by Cubbyd »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 03:47:05 PM »

Found the radio buttons your are referring to in the Macro window.  I am not using any macros.  Just timed modules.  I assume if I am not using macros, then which button is selected is immaterial.

Sorry for the confusion.

Uncheck that "store in interface" box in the timer window and see if the timer works then.  (I've always downloaded timers to the interface  and haven't tested this myself.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.