Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I was wondering about window/door sensor setup  (Read 8416 times)

bubbachavez

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
I was wondering about window/door sensor setup
« on: December 03, 2006, 10:09:06 PM »

I am new to this whole X10 thing and was wondering... I have a number of windows side by side in my older house and want to use one transmitter with up to 3 sensors connected to that transmitter. Is this possible?

I really don't want to have all these transmitters all over my window trim. It would make a difference of 3 transmitters instead of 8 transmitters. I know I would still have to get a sensor for each window, but I could hopefully interconnect the sensors somehow, maybe.

This probably has been asked before but I wasn't even sure where to start to look for an answer.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: I was wondering about window/door sensor setup
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:27:25 PM »

Yes you can !
Check the X10Knowledge Base for more info! ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 09:12:35 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 10:58:47 PM »

You can connect every window and door in your home to the same sensor/transmitter if you want  ;D.

Just pick up some NC contacts and some (a lot of) cable for the run.

It's pretty normal to set combined opening/entrys into zones as you are thinking of...  Living room / kitchen / bedroom / etc.

Check out the link by tuicemen for setup info.

I personally like being able to check the status of every window, but it's really not necessary.

bubbachavez

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 06:43:15 PM »

Thanks so much. That's exactly the info I was looking for.

WooHoo

wormboy

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 11:44:09 AM »

Anyone find a cheap place to buy these switches and wire online in order to group windows/doors?

Also, I am trying to read up on how Protector Plus can be integrated into my existing x10 setup (I use Homeseer), can anyone point me in the direction about where I can read up on this?

Also, looking for the bracket to mount the Console to the wall? s

Is that enough questions? LOL

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 11:59:38 AM »

Anyone find a cheap place to buy these switches and wire online in order to group windows/doors?

3/4-Inch Magnetic Contacts, Normally Closed

Also, I am trying to read up on how Protector Plus can be integrated into my existing x10 setup (I use Homeseer), can anyone point me in the direction about where I can read up on this?

The security sensors for the Protector Plus do not use standard X10 protocol. The only current way it incorporate it into an X10 set-up is with ActiveHomePro and the OnAlert plug-in. However, the Protector Plus base (PS561) can be used as a regular X10 Transciever.

Also, looking for the bracket to mount the Console to the wall? s

x10securitysystems

wormboy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 12:18:14 PM »

wow Puck, I'm impressed,

then I guess I will ask the really hard ones that I have been unable to solve:

still looking for a good glass break detector that is Protector Plus compatible and reasonably priced,

and

still looking for a pet immune wireless motion sensor that is Protector Plus compatible (this seems to be the holy grail of x10 items)

I guess since I am running Homeseer that I cannot integrate Protector Plus with my system since the plugins you mentioned aren't for Homeseer.

Thanks so much!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 12:47:24 PM »

still looking for a good glass break detector that is Protector Plus compatible and reasonably priced,

Cheap & easy: Window Bug

or

More expensive acoustic method: Slimline Glass Break Detector ... This can be interfaced to the Protector Plus via a DS10A Door/Window sensor.

still looking for a pet immune wireless motion sensor that is Protector Plus compatible (this seems to be the holy grail of x10 items)

I don't know of any, but I believe others have mounted their MS10A motion sensor upside-down and lower so it points in an upward direction instead of towards the floor. Hopefully your pet is not a bird.  ;D

(Here is where I seen the upside-down idea: Re: Motion sensor sensitivity to pets ...it was TakeTheActive's idea.)

[Puck Edit: added link for idea]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 04:18:16 PM by Puck »

wormboy

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 10:14:19 PM »

Thanks again puck, I ordered the contacts and the console bracket, so thats that.
In terms of the glass break sensor, still looking for a wireless glass break sensor compatible with x10.  I see that so many break detectors were discontinued.  I can't warm up to the bugs (don't want them all over my windows).  Ultimately I would find a wireless unit with decent coverage.  I have a lot of crank out windows, so window nc contacts will do me no good.  Any thief will be breaking glass and climbing through.  The search continues!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.