Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RWS17 Switch to GFI Outlet Problems  (Read 35075 times)

AdamF

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
RWS17 Switch to GFI Outlet Problems
« on: December 19, 2006, 12:10:59 PM »

Hi, I have an RWS17 switch that controls two outdoor outlets.  One is a GFI outlet and the other is an outlet down stream from the GFI outlet, thus also protected by that GFI outlet.  So, it looks like: panel -> X10 switch -> GFI -> other plug.  I have a Malibu 200 watt 12v transformer plugged into the GFI outlet, nothing into the down stream outlet.

If I manually hit the X10 switch the low voltage lights plugged into my GFI outlet turn on and off just fine.  If I give the ON command from Active Home they also turn on just fine.  But if I give the OFF command from Active Home they do not turn off.  I have to manually press the switch.  This means that my outdoor lights turn on at night but not off.  I understand that there can often be signal loss with GFI outlets but all I'm trying to do is control the inside switch that controls the GFI outlet.  Does it matter what is really downstream from the switch?  Shouldn't the switch just turn on and off when it receives the X10 command?  It's seems weird that ON works but not OFF.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

AdamF

Re: RWS17 Switch to GFI Outlet Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 12:39:06 PM »

I did some more experimenting and here's what I have plugged into the GFI outlet.  1 200 watt 12v tranformer with 100 watts of low voltage lights connected to it.  In the other plug of the GFI outlet I have a single strand of Christmas lights connected to an extension cord.

If I unplug the transformer from the GFI outlet and just leave the strand of Christmas lights plugged in, the ON and OFF from the X10 work just fine.  The minute I plug the transformer back into the outlet only the ON command works, not the OFF command.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 01:31:03 PM »

It might be a noise problem.

Check out http://www.x10pro.com/pro/catalog/platform.html#filters  for more info.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »

just a little addition to Dan's comment...

noise from the transformer (in case it wasn't obvious.)  may need to block it from getting onto the powerline with a filter between the transformer and the wall/powerline.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 03:39:14 PM »

Make sure the line & load wires are not reversed at the switch. Under some conditions this can cause ON to work and OFF to not get through the load and back to the switch. Manual switch control will still work fine.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 04:22:56 PM »

Not firmilliar with the Retail Part Number RWS17. If it can be dimmed the transformer should not be used. Dimming switches can be damaged by transformers, unless the transformer manufacturer says it can be dimmed.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 04:47:59 PM »

Brian may have identified the problem. The RWS17 is not made for inductive dimming. Also, is your supply a transformer or a switching supply? Weight of the unit will clue you. A switching supply can generate noise once it is ON.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 06:39:02 PM »

The RWS17 is a  X10 Single Switch and 3-Way Applications unit, Decora style.

It does dim.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 12:25:12 PM »

That is correct, which is why the described application (feeding outdoor outlets) is unsuitable.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

AdamF

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 05:28:40 PM »

Thanks for all the information.  Yes, this is a dimmer switch.  I have not tried to use the dimming feature hooked up to the GFI outlets containing the transformer.  But, I do see your point.  I got them in a 4-pack and use others around the house.  I guess I should try getting a non-dimming switch to control those outside plugs.

Yes, it's a 200 watt low voltage Malibu transformer. 

http://www.electricsuppliesonline.com/malipopaml3.html

Right now hooked up to it are two low voltage 50w lights (total 100 watts).

I know the line and load wires are correct at the GFI outlet to the load outlet further down the house.  At the switch I did testing with my meter and I'm 99.99% sure I've got it hooked up right.

Maybe I should try a non-dimming switch.  Any specific one I should try?  I'll look into the filter as well.

Thanks all.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 07:08:02 PM »

All are Decorator type and since they use a relay and don't steal power through the load. Need a Neutral power wire in addition to the line and load.
X10 WS13A
X10 retail RWS18
X10Pro XPS3

AdamF

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 12:18:51 PM »

All are Decorator type and since they use a relay and don't steal power through the load. Need a Neutral power wire in addition to the line and load.
X10 WS13A
X10 retail RWS18
X10Pro XPS3

Thanks for all the responses.  So, it's been almost a year but I'm finally looking to address the problem.  Better late than never I suppose.  It looks like the quickest solution to try is using a non-dimmable WS13A or XPS3 switch.  My only questions is, in looking through the various X10 switches, I see the XPDI3.  It's a dimmable switch but it also says, "Works with low voltage (transformer) lighting".  I'm assuming the WS13A or XPS3 is the better choice since the XPDI3 is a dimmable switch but I just wanted to see what everyone thought.

Thanks.  I will take care of this soon and post the results.

AdamF

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 06:55:52 PM »

Problem solved!  I replaced the switch with an XPS3 and it's working great.  Thanks for all the help.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.