Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DST Changes in 2007  (Read 47090 times)

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: DST Changes in 2007
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »

I haven't confirmed this, but I have heard that Microsoft is not releasing a patch for Windows 2000 (and presumably 98 or ME) so if you are using one of these OSes it won't use the correct DST switchover dates.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 05:40:42 PM »

Roger: You are correct; Microsoft will not be providing an update patch for OS's prior to XP.

However, about 3/4 of the way down this microsoft page, you can download a utility called Tzedit.exe. For Win2K you can run this utility and manually reset the DST dates.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 11:33:22 PM »

...However, about 3/4 of the way down MSKB Q914387: How to configure daylight saving time for the United States in 2007, you can download a utility called Tzedit.exe.

For Win2K you can run this utility and manually reset the DST dates.

Informative *AND* very useful! ;)

Thanks Puck!  ;D
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 06:49:24 PM »

Just a reminder.

If you have the Microsoft DST patch applied, check your Hardware Configuration in AHP. It should show a sunrise/sunset time change for DST on the new (3/11) date and the Standard Time return on 11/03.

I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 08:12:05 AM »

If one needs a DST fix for Win 98 or Win ME, goto ...

http://www.intelliadmin.com/Downloads.htm

... and scroll down to "free downloads", and the second one in that section should be "Windows 98/ME Daylight Saving Time Fix".  I used this, myself, on my older PC's.

Or go directly to...

http://ftp.intelliadmin.com/DaylightSavingFix98.exe
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 10:48:28 AM »

For Win2K users who updated DST with TZEDIT: What I observed was that my PC time did not change automatically as expected. I had to do the following and the time immediately corrected itself:

• 1) Double Click on the clock in the bottom right hand corner
  • 2) Select the Time Zone tab
  • 3) UN-select the Automatically adjust for daylight saving check box
  • 4) Click on Apply
  • 5) Select the Automatically adjust for daylight saving check box
  • 6) Click on Apply
  • 7) Click on OK

Hopefully now it has registered the correct DST dates. Guess I have to wait for November 4th to find out for sure.  :D

whsbuss

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 07:14:42 PM »

As I posted on the Bugs thread, my DST is not working correctly since the change on 3/12/07.

I run in stand alone mode and patched my XP Pro a few weeks ago with the DST patch. In AHP Pro the hardware config tables show the correct dusk/dawn times and I downloaded them to the interface last week (twice). Today (since I was not home yesterday) the dusk/dawn timers did not operate at the correct time I have set.

I sent a support ticket to X10.com to ask if they have a software update for 3.204 software. It seems to only affect the stand alone mode. I since downloaded my timers again and will have to wait till Wednesday to see if they work (not home tomorrow).

Anyone else see this problem?

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 10:25:47 PM »

If your CM15 is not connected 24/7, you will have to connect it to the PC, clear it and reload the timers to have them work properly with the DST times.

whsbuss

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 07:18:15 AM »

If your CM15 is not connected 24/7, you will have to connect it to the PC, clear it and reload the timers to have them work properly with the DST times.

Shouldn't be that way. X10 needs to address this in an update!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 12:56:08 PM »

The problem here may be that X10 can't update the firmware in the CM15A. I don't know this for sure but it seems that I saw something on it awhile back. If thats the case all they could do is change it on new units built.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 07:56:27 PM »

It's not a a firmware problem, the CM15's firmware does not control DST.  The CM15 gets its time from the PC, which is why those who don't have the CM15 connected to the PC must connect it to the PC and clear it's memory and download the timers and macros to it before unhooking it to get the proper DST times.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 10:02:51 PM »

We have been told several times in the past that the firmware cannot be upgraded. X10 decided to save a few pennies on their build costs by eliminating that feature.
Perhaps Michael C. will chime in here with some authoritative answers. To the best of my knowledge, he is the only one on the forums who is/was part of the X10 organization, and the CM15A support team. Perhaps he can shed some light on how the CM15A "knows" when to change its internal clock for DST.

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 06:07:17 PM »

Along with all the timer, macro, and dusk/dawn information, the data downloaded to the CM15A includes a start date and stop date for daylight savings time. You can see this information in the ahpeeprom_w.txt file. As I've said before, this file tells you a lot about how the interface works, and should really be seen as a resource in absence of help from X10 directly. I'd be happy to help people interpret what they see there.

The change to the daylight savings time dates should not require a firmware change (which would require new interfaces for everyone, since the firmware isn't upgradeable) since it was designed to allow flexibility in the dates anyway. We weren't anticipating a change in daylight savings in the US when it was designed, but were making it possible to account for different dates in Europe.

If the daylight savings dates hadn't changed, no one would have had to re-download to the CM15A. But there's no way to for the CM15A to know about the date changes without re-connecting to the PC -- that's just unavoidable. However, once the XP patch was applied and you downloaded the change to the interface it should have adjusted correctly. Several people confirmed that the date changed for them in AHP -- did the time change work for you?

jajohnson

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 10:38:24 AM »

Where can I find the ahpeeprom file referenced in the previous comment?

whsbuss

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 11:24:40 AM »

Along with all the timer, macro, and dusk/dawn information, the data downloaded to the CM15A includes a start date and stop date for daylight savings time. You can see this information in the ahpeeprom_w.txt file. As I've said before, this file tells you a lot about how the interface works, and should really be seen as a resource in absence of help from X10 directly. I'd be happy to help people interpret what they see there.

The change to the daylight savings time dates should not require a firmware change (which would require new interfaces for everyone, since the firmware isn't upgradeable) since it was designed to allow flexibility in the dates anyway. We weren't anticipating a change in daylight savings in the US when it was designed, but were making it possible to account for different dates in Europe.

If the daylight savings dates hadn't changed, no one would have had to re-download to the CM15A. But there's no way to for the CM15A to know about the date changes without re-connecting to the PC -- that's just unavoidable. However, once the XP patch was applied and you downloaded the change to the interface it should have adjusted correctly. Several people confirmed that the date changed for them in AHP -- did the time change work for you?

Well I did patch my XP Pro and downloaded all the timers before the DST change on 3/12/07. I run in stand alone mode and the timers did not adjust to the new DST. I had to re-connect my PC, d/l the timers again, and now they operate correctly. Question -> will I have to d/l again on the 1st Sunday in April (normal DST)???

I also could not find the ahpeeprom_w.txt file.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.