Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Big red emergency button  (Read 33302 times)

big al

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Big red emergency button
« on: December 12, 2006, 05:57:35 PM »

Hello every one, this is my first question on this forum. I went through the database and couldn't find an answer.
I bought three big red emergency buttons and registered them with my protector plus console model PS561 (same house and unit code). The first time I tried one, it did what it was supposed to do (turn on the lights, ring the console and the siren (power horn) went on). The problem is that it won't trip the siren anymore. I tried reinitializing the buttons and, this is what happened:

first time: lights turn on, chime console rings endlessly like if a door sensor doesn't register with the console and I try to arm the console, the chime chimes.

second time: lights go on, chime chimes, the console arms itself.

third time: lights go on, chime chimes each time I push the red button. It even chimes when I try to change the house code.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance folks!

Big Al

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Big red emergency button
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 06:07:13 PM »

I tried reinitializing the buttons and, this is what happened:

What are you doing to reinitialize?

I don't have a Red Button to try, but after I trip the alarm, I push the DisArm on the remote to stop the lights and siren; then I have to press the Security Light OFF to clear the tripped zone before I can re-Arm the system. Maybe this is what you need to do to  ???

big al

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 06:22:56 PM »

Quote: What are you doing to reinitialize?

I removed the batteries, put back batteries, set the house and unit code again to same codes as my console and, disarmed my console.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 06:35:07 PM »

Looking at the instructions for the KR15A, you have to register it with the PS561 (just like other remotes).

So when you remove the batteries to reinitialize, you need to reset your PS561 and re-register it for it to be recognized again and trigger the alarm in panic mode.

Maybe try the Dis-Arm & Security Light OFF instead of removing the batteries.

Let us know if that works.

big al

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 07:51:05 PM »

When I said I removed the batteries, I meant the ones in the big red emergency button. I didn't remove the battery from the PS561 console but, the last post got me thinking: I wanted to avoid resetting my whole system (I have 10 sensors, motion detectors etc. connected to it and would have to register each and every one again with the console (some are outside in the garage and, it's freezing outside here in Quebec Canada!) I guess I have no choice now because I tried to register my big red button with the console again and it didn't work. I have to reset everything and start from scratch. I'll do that and let every one know tomorrow.

Any other ideas that will save me some work?

Big al

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 08:03:25 PM »

When I said I removed the batteries, I meant the ones in the big red emergency button.

I knew you were referring to this.  ;)

The red button is probably like all the other DS7000 remotes & sensors, when the batteries are removed and then re-installed, it selects a new security code and now it will not be registered with the PS561 (until you go through the long painful process of reprogramming your whole system).

Because the red button has a couple modes (depending on how long you hold the button on), after you reinstall the batteries and set it's house & unit code, it will still control a light or make a siren ding through the PS561 that matches it's house & unit code, because the PS561 just acts as a Transceiver; but it will not trigger the DS7000 alarm system.

big al

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 08:42:12 PM »

Thanks for your help Puck!  Sounds right. Will reset everything tomorrow and see what happens.

Big Al

big al

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 05:49:36 PM »

Well folks, I resetted everything (console, motion detectors, door/window sensors, red buttons etc.) and, still no power horn (model PH508) when I press the big red button. Everything else works fine. I can't figure out what doesn't work except, maybe, that the second signal that is normally sent from the button (when I press and hold for a few seconds) is not sent for some reason. Either that or the console doesn't receive the second signal. I am at a lost here, any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Big Al

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 06:22:10 PM »

big al: I don't mean to state the obvious here, but without a big red button to try, I need to ask a few things since I only have the instruction manual (paper) to follow. Your initial post said that you did have it working but then you couldn't get it to repeat. So we know it does / did work.

• 1) Did you register the big red button with the PS561? (As in Install, press button, here PS561 chime.)

• 2) Do you have a Lamp Module & a Power Horn set to the same unit code as the big red button... at least for test purposes? (I'm sure you do have them all on the same House Code.)

• 3) Does the lamp come on when you press the big red button once?

• 4) Does the Power Horn ding when you hold the big red button for a few seconds?

• 5) Does the Power Horn blare if you hold the big red button longer than a few seconds?

Hopefully someone who owns a big red button will be able to help out too.

big al

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 07:59:45 PM »

Thanks for your reply Puck,

OK, lets see...

big al: I don't mean to state the obvious here, but without a big red button to try, I need to ask a few things since I only have the instruction manual (paper) to follow. Your initial post said that you did have it working but then you couldn't get it to repeat. So we know it does / did work.

the power horn did work once, only once with one button, meaning: I tried the first button after registering it with the console. Lights went on, console chimed (dinged like when you have it set to run2 and you open a door) then the console's alarm was triggered and the power horn blared. Next time I tried with the second button, everything worked except the power horn stayed silent.
So...

• 1) Did you register the big red button with the PS561? (As in Install, press button, here PS561 chime.)

Yes I did and it did register.

• 2) Do you have a Lamp Module & a Power Horn set to the same unit code as the big red button... at least for test purposes? (I'm sure you do have them all on the same House Code.)

They all are set to same house and unit code: lamp modules (2) power horns (2), remote chime (1), transceiver (1), console (1).

• 3) Does the lamp come on when you press the big red button once?

Yes.

• 4) Does the Power Horn ding when you hold the big red button for a few seconds?

No, that's the problem, it stays silent. I checked the power horn itself; it does work when my alarm is triggered by opening a door or window.

• 5) Does the Power Horn blare if you hold the big red button longer than a few seconds?

No. I tried holding it for a minute or so. Again, everything works like it should and, after a minute of holding down the button, my console arms itself.

Oops! Wait a minute, I just thought of someting... it takes a minute to arm the system in the delay mode and during that minute, the console dings. This is exactly what happends with the big red button but, my security remote (model SH624) is in the ''MIN'' position not in the ''DELAY'' position. It seems that the big red button acts like a security remote that would be in the delay mode. This is surely not the way it's supposed to work. It would defeat it's purpose; a minute is very long time if someone is in the house trying to harm you.

The only time it worked correctly it didn't take a minute for the power horn to blare.

Thanks for your input. I'm open to suggestions.

Big Al

Hopefully someone who owns a big red button will be able to help out too.

Hopefuly...

[/color]

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 08:05:47 PM »

2) Do you have a Lamp Module & a Power Horn set to the same unit code as the big red button... at least for test purposes? (I'm sure you do have them all on the same House Code.)

They all are set to same house and unit code: lamp modules (2) power horns (2), remote chime (1), transceiver (1), console (1).

Try unplugging this guy.... when you're holding down the big red button, you are most likely are getting a corrupted power line signal with this AND the PS561 transceiving simultaneously.

big al

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 08:24:59 PM »

Try unplugging this guy.... when you're holding down the big red button, you are most likely are getting a corrupted power line signal with this AND the PS561 transceiving simultaneously.

I did and I also unplug the remote chime. It made no difference.

But...

Let me add a new info.: I just tried the big red button with the console already armed (without transceiver and remote chime). It did trigger the alarm right away but, the power horn stayed silent again. Resetted the console and triggered the alarm with the ''PANIC'' button on my security remote. The alarm was triggered and the power horn did blare.

I can't understand what's wrong:-( How come the bid red button can trigger the alarm but, not the power horn? How come it doesn't trigger the alarm when the console is not armed. This also defeats it's purpose: if your system is already arm, you don't really need a big red button, do you?

Maybe I'll forget the red buttons and buy a new security remote!? That does work!! You only have to find the remote and the ''PANIC'' button in the dark if you're asleep, that's no big deal hey!????? Geezzz!!!!

Thanks for your patience Puck.

Big Al

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 08:46:33 PM »

Hey no problem big al... and only working when the system is armed doesn't make sense. The panic button on the remote doesn't need the system armed.  ???

But keep an eye on this thread. I'm sure there will be some member who has one of these and can tell us how they work.  :)

big al

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 08:56:01 PM »

Update note:
Hi everyone, I contacted customer support about my problem and, they offered to exchange the big red buttons. It seems they were defective after all.

Greetings to all!

hostilejava

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • HostileJava
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 06:04:02 AM »

Hmmm, it seems odd that you would get three defective buttons, but hopefully that is the case and it solves your problem.  Do you have any software loaded on the pc to control x10 hardware?  I'm asking cause I'd like to see what the RF codes are  being sent when you hold the big red button in.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.