Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lazer beam  (Read 8420 times)

iV

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • Me, since i'm working with X10 products :)
Lazer beam
« on: September 14, 2006, 02:16:37 PM »

Anybody knows of a lazer beam system who can work with the protector plus ?

If not, any idea on a good system ?

Thanks !

nagelm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Lazer beam
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 03:27:09 PM »

I've been looking at doing this too.  I found a couple of Infrared Beam Motion Detectors that are Normally Closed.  When the beam is broken the circuit is broken.  If you replace the magnet on a door/window sensor with this type of beam device it should work.  I'll give it a try once a get a working Protector Plus.

http://www.smarthome.com/7460.html
http://www.smarthome.com/7464.html

iV

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • Me, since i'm working with X10 products :)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 11:28:32 AM »

Seems really interesting  :o
and cheap...

Keep me posted

Thank you

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 04:14:44 PM »

As long as the circuit breaks when tripped it should trigger a door/window sensor.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 05:56:54 PM »

Yep any of them should work that functions as normally closed don't forget the power source though.

Tcj

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 08:56:35 PM »

Yep any of them should work that functions as normally closed don't forget the power source though.

Tcj

The DS10A Door/Window sensor operates with just a contact closure, as does a PSC01 Powerflash module in one of its configurations.  There's no additional power source required except for a nearby AC socket for the Powerflash.  In both cases you get one signal when the contacts are opened, another when they're closed.
The choices are wireless versus PLC and the availability of the OnAlert plug-in.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 11:57:50 PM »

Tcj

The DS10A Door/Window sensor operates with just a contact closure, as does a PSC01 Powerflash module in one of its configurations.  There's no additional power source required except for a nearby AC socket for the Powerflash.  In both cases you get one signal when the contacts are opened, another when they're closed.
The choices are wireless versus PLC and the availability of the OnAlert plug-in.

I was referring to t power source for the laser.

Tcj

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 07:21:48 AM »

Tcj

I was referring to t power source for the laser.

Tcj

Ahah!   That would sway the choice of a transmitter to the Powerflash since you need the AC receptacle anyway.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

rongordon

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »

here's a cheap very lo-tech suggestion...
i've experimented with this and it actually works reasonably well, though not as well as an actual beam breaker...
it does work for my purposes, though...
cover the detection window of the cheap motion sensor ( i used black vinyl tape for my tests ) such that you leave an open vertical ' slit ' in the center of the window.
this narrows the sensor's ' field of view ' to just a few degrees, creating a sort of ' beam width ' detection area...
testing at about 30 feet indicated a detection ' window ' of only a few degrees that, of course, narrows as you get closer to the sensor...
the sensor became unreliable ( but still worked intermittently ) up to about 47 feet...

ArtClark

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 03:30:19 AM »

Another Lo-Tech cheap solution that I used (Took the idea from a book written long ago...).  A normal LSD or LST (Light sensor diode or transistor) put across the contact leads for the Door/window sensor.  Many have a lens built in, or for tight focus use a tube around the device.  IF you use a laser diode as the light transmission source, there you go.  (Laser pointer, etc...)  A normal IR diode can be used if focused well, but the range is much less.  I used an old pointer with 4 mirrors to a focused detector I got from radio shack for around 2 bucks.  The laser hitting the sensor was good enough to close the sensor even though the distance was well over 100 feet.  Just a thought.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.