Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PR511 Acts Up; Power Down a Few Days - OK; Then Acts Up Again!?!  (Read 2701 times)

ronald hirsch

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
PR511 Acts Up; Power Down a Few Days - OK; Then Acts Up Again!?!
« on: December 19, 2006, 08:05:41 AM »

I have 2 PR511's in my garage to give me automatic lights on when we go into the garage.

For a number of years, I had only one, and I recently added a second unit. Initially both worked fine. And, they could also be turned on or off via a wireless remote, when I plugged in a transceiver nearby.

Then, I noticed that one would not go off after the time delay period had been reached. Using the wireless remote, I was able to turn it off. Then after a few days it did it again, and now the remote would not control it at all.

So I unplugged it for a few days, plugged it back in, and all was well.

A few days later, the same thing happened. So I changed the codes for both unit to a different letter, and of course not the same number code for both. Things were OK for a while, and then the process repeated - no going off for the same one, and no remote control.

Anyone have any suggestions, or is the unit suffering a failure mode, and ready to be chucked???

Funny, after a few days of being unplugged, it comes back to life.

Ron Hirsch

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: PR511 Acts Up; Power Down a Few Days - OK; Then Acts Up Again!?!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:41:18 AM »

I've had that happen with several X10 (and other) devices that have been in service for a long time.  They fail and will seemingly recover if unplugged for a while, but the recovery is only temporary.  I suspect your PR511 has bit the dust.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

ronald hirsch

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: PR511 Acts Up; Power Down a Few Days - OK; Then Acts Up Again!?!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 05:48:50 PM »

Thanks for your reply. The fact that it goes bananas, and then with rest comes back to life is strange. I'm presently running two 75 watt bulbs in each unit. I'm going to try removing one of the bulbs to see what happens.

X-10 makes a large line of products, and offers us very good prices. I just wish they had more in the way of quality products. Too much of their stuff is of marginal quality, and some borders on junk.

With their "crazy" sales though, I probably have 150 pieces of spares and items I rarely if eve use. Their very thin 4X wireless wall swich is actually the worst piece of stuff I've come across, that they make.

I've been using X-10 items for over 20 years.

Ron Hirsch

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.