Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Sorta OT] Can I Poll a Webcam Installed on a PC on a Local Network in Windows?  (Read 10445 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

[I'm hoping one of you Camera Gurus (KDR? Don_N? Tuicemen?) might know the answer to this.]

I was just "thinking" the other day (Yeah, I know, "That's dangerous!" :P ), I have a few USB WebCams that I never installed (well, I "tried" out one of them, once, on a P233 so you know how LONG AGO that was ::) ):

*IF* I have a WebCam installed on each of 2 PCs in the basement, is there a way that I can selectively view them from my laptop upstairs in the den?
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

tjdavj

• Helpful Post Rating: 3

TTA,

I'm not a guru, but if you're running W2k Pro, or XP Pro, The easiest way to view them would be thru Remote Desktop, or PCAnywhere.

Obviously, I am assuming you are on a local network..

You may be able to install Windows Media Encoder 9, which installs a streaming server on the PC with the cam, then open MS Media Player on your laptop and watch the stream. I have set this type of streaming up before, but it was to a Internet based streaming server for the radio station I work for.  I'm not sure if it's possible to stream on a local lan, but I'm sure that the MS Media Player website could answer that question..

There may be another option with a product like WebCam Pro, although I have no experience with it yet.

HTH..

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat

Sorry TTA i don't have any experience with a setup like this. My guess would be that you could make it work its just finding the right means.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

I also have never tried anything like this.
I do know it is possible as tjdavj stated:
The easiest way to view them would be thru Remote Desktop, or PCAnywhere.
You could also use VNC
There are also other cam software which could possibly be made to work!
How ever the best method would be:
X10dispatcher I don't know if in it's current build it will, if not I'm sure Dave could add the option ::) ;) :D!
It already will view multiple cams (from any capture source) and send the info to a webpage or view 4 in the program itself!
One copy will talk to the others over a home network (I've done this part) which would also tie all your homeautomation to all your PCs ;) :D ;D
You can PM x10dispatch and ask if this is possible or if he could add the option if you wish to proceed with this route! ;)
If you do let us know others may wish to do this as well! ;) :D ;D
I may give this a shot as well ,have a ATI AIW card to add to my wifes PC so that will alow a Spare X10 cam to be viewed from it with X10dispatcher! ;)

**Cheers**
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14

TTA --  Sorry, my "Guru-ness" is limited to X10 wireless cameras so I can't comment on your situation.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

If the Webcam is a device in Windows, sharing it may be an option.    No guarantee, though.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

I set-up a Web Cam that broadcast live to my (Yahoo-geocities) Web Site some years ago. It was live and viewable from upstairs, or from work (back when streaming video wasn't blocked).

My son had set-up a Web Cam with a free software download that allowed the Web Cam to funtion as an IP Cam (my current solution). I checked ZDnet for downloads (free) and they have enough it would take a little playing to find one you would like best for your needs.
This one looked promising.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

Thanks for your input everyone! :)

I set-up a Web Cam that broadcast live to my (Yahoo-geocities) Web Site some years ago. It was live and viewable from upstairs, or from work...

*THAT* sounds like what I'm looking for. [In case everyone forgot, my DEN laptop is a P266 running Win98SE!) Too bad you don't remember *HOW* you did it. :(

My son had set-up a Web Cam with a free software download that allowed the Web Cam to funtion as an IP Cam (my current solution). I checked ZDnet for downloads (free) and they have enough it would take a little playing to find one you would like best for your needs.

Yep. I do the same:

I was just looking for a few recommendations as a "shortcut". ;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.