Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: CM15A RF Range Problems...  (Read 39490 times)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Re: CM15A RF Range Problems...
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 10:12:27 AM »

**** Update ****

I chose B16 (initially) to avoid sending ON commands to other devices, i.e., 16+1, etc is not valid so I expected a No op.  Not a problem, but I don't recall seeing that defined in the documentation for the PR511. I'll revisit the doc.

I thought the PR511 wrapped at unit 16 back to unit 1?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 12:12:03 PM »

Yup, mine do.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bnywen

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 08:15:05 PM »

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I post this in a useful place..... I just got a CM15A and was also VERY disappointed in the wireless range of the device the I started looking at various mods on this forum and had an idea to take the antenna off my old TM751 module and adapt it to the CM15A. The antenna on the TM751 is a simple telescoping antenna an i reasoned that it's supposed to receive the same frequencies so it's extended length must be correct.

When I disassembled the TM, i got a suprise; the antenna has no physical connection to the electronics, it's coupled inductively with a solid piece of plastic between the wire from the module and the antenna. This gave me the idea of removing the TM751 antenna and simply attaching it to the outside of the CM15S antenna, I chose to wire tie it there but i think three are many ways to accomplish this, but i wanted something that wouldn't affect my warranty.

The results were ASTOUNDING.... using the mini keychain remote before the mod, i could only go through the outside wall and about 10 ft on the other side and no at all from inside the car. With my simple mod, I was able to increase the range to about 200 ft outside and about 60 ft from in the car. I suppose that any metal piece with the same length (12 inches) would work as well.

I simply can't understand why X10 has chosen to neuter this device the way they have. The TM751 is PROOF that they USED to know how to do this!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2007, 10:02:16 PM »

...This gave me the idea of removing the TM751 antenna and simply attaching it to the outside of the CM15S antenna, I chose to wire tie it there...
You may of found the cheapest non destructive mod for the CM15A. I'm now on the lookout foot long piece of metal for mine.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »

Thanks for that tip. Yes the antenna in a TM751 is inductively coupled as is the RR501s. Both have a powerline derived power supply that is tied to Line. Thus the isolation.

solareclipse

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2007, 03:22:15 PM »

I was having the no reception beyond 5' problem with my SS13As, so I took bnywen's idea and modified it slightly.  I didn't have a TM751 around (in my last house, I just set those to transceive the house codes my SS13As were on - that fixes the problem too) so I just cut the straight section off a coat hanger and zip tied it to the antenna on the CM15A.  Amazingly, it worked.

I even used a white coat hanger to increase the WAF.   :D

bnywen

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 05:50:10 PM »

solareclipse: You're a genius... when I looked in my closet for a white coat hanger I found one that even had a little plastic protector over the tip. I cut the straight part at the bottom to 12 inches, and put the little plastic cap on the tip, attached it to the CM15A's antenna  and it now looks like it came from the factory that way. WAF was zero however as A) the hanger that i found was one that she uses (and missed)   >:(   and B) my system has been infected by gremlins that I think turned out to be from a failing network switch power supply. This drove us all nuts for a week or so until I finally turned off every breaker in the house and bought things back one at a time. The 8 port hub was nice enough to die totally at that time, thereby pointing at itself as the cause of the problem.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.