Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MultiView Requirements  (Read 30283 times)

Billaban

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
MultiView Requirements
« on: January 04, 2007, 04:11:54 PM »

This must be a typo.

The MultiView discussion on x10.com <http://www.x10.com/products/x10_sw19a.htm>

doesn't include XP as a compatible OS.  That's just a fubar, right?

Same appears to be for WebView.  <http://www.x10.com/cameras/va11a_s_mcpw_ps99.html#892fe.2195>

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: MultiView Requirements
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 05:38:17 PM »

I think you will also find that the documentation for the Vanguard software doesn't say anything about Windows XP although Vanguard does work with it.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

dragin99

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 07:34:24 PM »

FYI ...Multiview and Webview are finicky with XP but I've been using it for over a year with minimal problems. Had to replace the usb camera switch CM19a a couple of times. But my biggest recommendation is to load up on memory, at least a Gig, regardless of processor speed. Otherwise you will have problems with slow downs and lock ups caused by multiview refresh rates lower than 30 seconds ( which is virtually useless ). Also get the most current drivers and driver updates, and if your using Webview in conjunction with Multiview (a really nice feature ) read about the multiview/webview error messages on this forum and save yourself a headache.
Anyway hope this helps.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:46:28 PM »

IMHO, 1 Gig of memory is the minimum for Windows XP.
Yes, Windows will run with less, but if you actually want to run any programs too (especially anything having to do with real-time video), go for the Gig (at least)!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Billaban

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 10:18:10 AM »

Well I wasn't looking for an excuse to replace my 3 yr old Dell P4 but maybe I have one now.  Certainly I could add memory but was surprised at the price the last time I checked.  I have done some eval work with dual-core systems.  They are very fast. 

I concur that 1GB is the minimum starting point for memory once you get beyond basic computing like browsing the web and running MS Word, or Quicken. 

FWIW - My (primary) product line at work iinvolves video, audio, and OpenGL animation playback on PCs, i.e., an MDI Windows application.  I was able to acheive synchronous, simultaneous full 30fps video fidelity with 8 displays using a single dual core system with at least 20% CPU headroom.  This is overkill for a home PC (at least most people) and they are still rather pricey but I want one  8).  Of course you need a dual output display card and a couple nice diisplays.  I would recommend DVI and 21" flat panels.

Billaban

hostilejava

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • HostileJava
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 04:22:34 PM »

Depends on what your doing at home.  I like my setup since it allows me to encode video while easily doing other things :-)  And I dunno how I'd live without 3 monitors now that I have them :)

Billaban

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 04:31:13 PM »

So is that a Matrox card? 

hostilejava

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • HostileJava
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 04:35:40 PM »

No, I went with a dual head DVI dual card PCI-E solution from Nvidia, if I ever get the extra room I can throw another monitor up.  As it is now I have a 19" CRT on the left, a 19" wide screen in the middle, and a 19" LCD on the right.  I'd love to replace the remaining CRT, but I don't have the cash for it right now.  Here's the specs on the machine:

CPU: Athlon64 X2 4200
HS/FAN: Zalman Copper/Aluminum Orb Design
MB: Asus A8NSLI Premium
PSU: 610Watt PC Power and Cooling
RAM: 1GB PC500
Video Card: Asus Nvidia 6800GT 256MB x2
TV Capture Card: Hauppauge MCE150
DVD+,-RW/CD-RW: Aopen
DVD-ROM/CD-RW: Liteon 16x DVD 32x10x40 CD-RW
Hard Drives: 36GB WD Raptor 10,000RPM SATA  x2

I know the hard drive space seems anemic, but I have a server in the basement that is used for all my storage needs.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.