Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15A shows as an unknown device (?)  (Read 3967 times)

halmc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A shows as an unknown device (?)
« on: January 06, 2007, 03:25:52 PM »

Newbie here with XP, and new starter box from X-10.  Software seems to have loaded correctly.  AH shows a message that the CM15A is not connected, but indeed it is conneced, with good USB and electrical connections.  Can't reach X10 support.  Have uninstalled the software a coupla times, as well as deleted the 'unknown device' via my cmputer/properites/hardware/devicemanager/Universal Serial Bus controllers;  restarted computer, reloaded software, same result.

What now?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: CM15A shows as an unknown device (?)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 03:58:33 PM »

Newbie here with XP, and new starter box from X-10.  Software seems to have loaded correctly.  AH shows a message that the CM15A is not connected, but indeed it is conneced, with good USB and electrical connections.  Can't reach X10 support.  Have uninstalled the software a coupla times, as well as deleted the 'unknown device' via my cmputer/properites/hardware/devicemanager/Universal Serial Bus controllers;  restarted computer, reloaded software, same result.

What now?

This may or may not work.  It is based on another user's recent post and it worked for him.

With the CM15A plugged in (to both the wall and the computer):
  • Open up the AHP software.
  • Close the Warning box about the CM15A not being found.
  • Click on the Tools menu at the top.
  • Choose Clear Interface Memory.

Hopefully now, it will recognize the CM15A.

I hope that fixes it for you.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 04:45:06 PM »

The standard action for "CM15A shows as an unknown device" in Windows Device Manager is to unplug the CM15A from both the usb cable and AC power, then remove the batteries from the CM15A. 

Wait 5 minutes.  Replace the batteries, plug the usb cable back in the CM15 and plug it in to the AC.

You should hear Windows beep that it found a new device, and the icon should appear in the notication section of the taskbar.  Then check the Device Manager and you should see "X10 USB Active Home (APCI-Compliant)" under USB Devices.

I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

halmc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 07:37:45 AM »

The standard action for "CM15A shows as an unknown device" in Windows Device Manager is to unplug the CM15A from both the usb cable and AC power, then remove the batteries from the CM15A. 

Wait 5 minutes.  Replace the batteries, plug the usb cable back in the CM15 and plug it in to the AC.

You should hear Windows beep that it found a new device, and the icon should appear in the notication section of the taskbar.  Then check the Device Manager and you should see "X10 USB Active Home (APCI-Compliant)" under USB Devices.

Bill and Dan, my hat's off to both of you.  I tried Dan's suggestion first -- because it seemed simpler and that's what my pea brain craves -- and it WORKED!  I am almost certain that I originally connected the interface device to the 'puter before running the software which is a no-no, but a foreseeable one.  Thus I conclude that X-10 should have inlcuded your simple instructions with their materials.

In any case, thanks to both of you, I hope this exchange helps future dumbasses like me!

Now on to making my lights turn on and off . . .

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.