Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: signficantly increase PalmPad range  (Read 5079 times)

joey123

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
signficantly increase PalmPad range
« on: January 09, 2007, 06:58:13 PM »

Hi,

This may have been discussed before, but thought I would share an easy fix for PalmPad range extension.  It is as easy as taking apart and cutting the power leads and installing a 9V battery snap on to the leads.  Thread the leads out the back, reassemble and install a 9V battery.  Of course the battery does not fit in the compartment, so a little electrical tape to tape the battery to the back works fine.  I know that the result is a little kludgey looking, but not so bad and works great.  If you want to be a little neater you can dremel out the opening and set the battery in half way, but still sticks out.  I am sure that some ingenious person can figure out a better way to hide the battery, but the 9V works fantastic and the extra 3Volts do not hurt the circuitry at all, as have tried this on three different PalmPads

Anyway, and easy fix for an age old problem

Joe

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: signficantly increase PalmPad range
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 12:01:44 PM »

COOL! I bet the LED gets real bright  :D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 12:18:38 AM »

After a quick look at the circuit, it looks like they run the 6Vdc of batteries thru 2 forward-diodes to drop the voltage by ~1.2Vdc... This will bring it down to ~4.8Vdc for the micro-controller IC (Which most likely is a 5Vdc device). They do not use a regulator.

Have you checked to see if there is a significant temperature rise of the IC (from ambient) with the 9Vdc applied? That extra 3Vdc will increase its junction temperature, just not sure by how much. If it's a noticable difference then it will shorten its life.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:49:53 AM »

Puck; The two diodes makes sense.  Keeps the microcontroller with in specifications.
Good chance the diodes are getting warmer and maybe the controller chip also.

sumowrestler

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »

After a quick look at the circuit, it looks like they run the 6Vdc of batteries thru 2 forward-diodes to drop the voltage by ~1.2Vdc... This will bring it down to ~4.8Vdc for the micro-controller IC (Which most likely is a 5Vdc device). They do not use a regulator.

Have you checked to see if there is a significant temperature rise of the IC (from ambient) with the 9Vdc applied? That extra 3Vdc will increase its junction temperature, just not sure by how much. If it's a noticable difference then it will shorten its life.

instead of using 9V battery externally, we can short those 2 diodes. It should work.

sumowrestler

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 01:37:56 AM »

Hi,

This may have been discussed before, but thought I would share an easy fix for PalmPad range extension.  It is as easy as taking apart and cutting the power leads and installing a 9V battery snap on to the leads.  Thread the leads out the back, reassemble and install a 9V battery.  Of course the battery does not fit in the compartment, so a little electrical tape to tape the battery to the back works fine.  I know that the result is a little kludgey looking, but not so bad and works great.  If you want to be a little neater you can dremel out the opening and set the battery in half way, but still sticks out.  I am sure that some ingenious person can figure out a better way to hide the battery, but the 9V works fantastic and the extra 3Volts do not hurt the circuitry at all, as have tried this on three different PalmPads

Anyway, and easy fix for an age old problem

Joe

I am planning to buy the palm pad. Could you tell me the max range of it without 9v battery?
Thanks

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 09:45:19 AM »

instead of using 9V battery externally, we can short those 2 diodes. It should work.

That would only increase the voltage to the micro-controller. The voltage for the RF looks like it taps off the batteries before the diode.  ;)

I am planning to buy the palm pad. Could you tell me the max range of it without 9v battery?

I never actually measured the range of the palmpad, but I myself have never had any range issues with it; unlike the smaller keychain and stick-on switch style remotes.

sumowrestler

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 02:40:49 AM »

Hi Puck,
Thanks for your replies. I use a keychain remote to control a socket rocket which is on the second floor. It works fine even if I stay outside the front door . I guess the palm pad should work for me.

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 11:57:10 PM »

Good Evening,

Your solution would work because you have increased the transmitter power but you are probably in violation of FCC rules.  I believe the devices are type accepted and cannot be modified unless you have the appropriate FCC license. You might want to check this out.

Sorry to put a damper on it,
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.